How to clean uninstall NVidia drivers?

Archaven

Hey all.. Not sure if this is the correct section to post this. I just upgraded myself a Geforce GTX560Ti TWIN FROZR II. Hence i proceed with installing the latest official driver 275.33. It has installed no problems and it is working fine.

However, due to my own explorations i have set the resolution to a higher resolution than my LCD monitor can support. Hence it turned out with an error message "Frequency out of range" and whole screen went black and it didnt revert back the settings automatically.

I was able to logon to 'Safe mode' but in safe mode the NVidia control panel cannot be launched so there's no way i can FORCE back the resolution. I uninstalled the driver and reinstalled back the driver however it still goes to 'Frequency out of range'. I used Driver Cleaner Pro but it didn't help.

Anyone can enlighten a desperate soul here?

Many thanks in advance and greatly appreciated for any help.

Thanks & Best Regards

• Replies 5
  • Views 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LeetPirate

moves to software chat......

When you start the driver installation there is a box to tick for a clean install, ticking that box removes all traces of previous driver before installing the new one. To remove a specific component, just untick the box in the list of options during the driver installation and it will remove all the components that are not ticked.

If that does not work then your problem probably lies elsewhere. Try unplugging the connection to your monitor and then replug it.

Thanks for replying Leet.. I DID ticked for clean install BUT that doesn't help. Guess i have to try removing the cable and reconnecting it back.. But i doubt it will work.

I see more that the issue on the NVIDIA profiles where they have saved my previous configurations and each time booting it's reverting to the configurations i set, hence it goes frequency out of range. If can just clean uninstall, then i don't have to reinstall windows.

Thanks for any help. Really appreciated here.

Hi, with Driver Sweeper it's posible, use in safe mode, select your graphics card and initiate the clean...

Site: http://phyxion.net
Code: /Driver-Sweeper/Driver-Sweeper/Version-3-0-0/Installer.html

PD: Remove vga standard controller and restart in normal mode.

LeetPirate

Thanks for replying Leet.. I DID ticked for clean install BUT that doesn't help. Guess i have to try removing the cable and reconnecting it back.. But i doubt it will work.

I see more that the issue on the NVIDIA profiles where they have saved my previous configurations and each time booting it's reverting to the configurations i set, hence it goes frequency out of range. If can just clean uninstall, then i don't have to reinstall windows.

Thanks for any help. Really appreciated here.

Ok I think I understand now. Try this, but be careful. Reinstall the latest nvidia drivers and then boot into safemode and edit the following registry keys.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{7C0227CE-7E0D-4176-885D-4B1057D4BCE1}\0000
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{7C0227CE-7E0D-4176-885D-4B1057D4BCE1}\0001

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{7C0227CE-7E0D-4176-885D-4B1057D4BCE1}\0000
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{7C0227CE-7E0D-4176-885D-4B1057D4BCE1}\0001

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Video\{7C0227CE-7E0D-4176-885D-4B1057D4BCE1}\0000
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Video\{7C0227CE-7E0D-4176-885D-4B1057D4BCE1}\0001

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000

The part with 7C0227CE-7E0D-4176-885D-4B1057D4BCE1 is the device ID for my video card, yours might be different so just look around in the same section until you see the entry called Device Description that matches your video card.

Look for the following entries:

DefaultSettings.BitsPerPel
DefaultSettings.VRefresh
DefaultSettings.XResolution
DefaultSettings.YResolution

Modify them, click the decimal button so you can enter the normal values instead of worring about hex, then click ok to save the new value. Once you change all of them you can reboot and it should work.

Thanks Leet!.. Out of frustration i'm forced to format and reinstall my Windows 7 :(. Installed windows and now have lots of update to be done. And i'm having a slow internet connection here :(

Thanks again Leet!

Archived