Windows 7 BSOD...Acronis/Driver related..

HX1

Okay, so here's the deal.. I hate to bother people with this ancient worthless laptop and my issues BUT.... Tonight I tried to update Acronis.. This meant uninstalling Acronis PP and Acronis both.. After doing so I did not reboot which is usually fine.. and I installed the regular Acronis True Image.. I then tried to install the Plus Pack.. said I couldn't because Acronis was not installed.. so I decided to reboot... When I did.. everything went fine until I got to the Black screen right after the Windows 7 Boot animation... usually the 'deadpixel' screen..

The dead pixel was not there.. and the laptop sat there for quite a long time... So I assumed it was stuck.. which I am guessing now that it was trying to update or finish installing files and registry entries.. When I tried to reboot I got a message right off about starting 'Startup Recovery'.. tried to go ahead and boot.. as soon as the animation started I got a BSOD.. The BSOD stated if this was the first time blah blah blah... said to run CHKDSK /F.. and to remove any HD's that had been connected... or added.. with several 0x0000000 type entries as per usual..

I ran the installation disk to run the Startup recovery.. said it made a repair.. then rebooted.. Did the same thing but shortly after the animation ( slightly longer ).. I ran CHKDSK /F which said it fixed something in the UsnJournal.. second run from Installation DVD stated nothing was found. I tried running SFC C: /SCANNNOW in the Command Prompt from the installation Disk... Which stated it was NTFS but there was a recovery operation n progress and could not.. So no go.. Disk is accessible in BIOS, Both Hiren's Disks...

I am hoping for someone who could me use the tools I have to repair it.. or some info on what to do.. I know I have the option of combing through the drive and pulling data off onto EHD.. and wiping the system.. reinstalling and going from there.. but I had rather not...

Please if you have any idea I would appreciate it.. :)

Note: This message brought to you by Hiren's Boot Disk 10.0 and PortableApps.com Applications and launcher...( I feel naked in MiniXP )

EDIT: I have successfully loaded the Registry under my Administrator Account running in Hiren's Boot CD/MiniXP and have the registry editor open....SO if you have the info and I think this has to do with the Archive Explorer that rns as a device n the OS.. to remove or delete.. a driver successfully from loading it.. would be cool.. :)

UPDATE: 0x000000f - The boot selection failed because a required device failed to start... This is the error the BOOTMGR gave me...

Tried removing Acronis recommended entries for the thing at their site.. and I am not able to load the section of the registry that I need.. 'CurrentControlSet' is not present.. remotely as it were I think.. but ControlSet001 and 002 is... Tried second install disc as I think one I have is a RTM version.. uses Vista Boot Animation versus the other having 7 Animation... and it did several other things.. then gave the same result.. I think I am in the right area for the problem.. just not sure about what to do or how to get there..

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try doing an "Upgrade" with the Windows 7 disk....it will take a while but it will "repair" everything with all your programs and files intact.

I already have Windows 7 Ultimate installed however and most of the time it asks you to boot into the OS to do an Upgrade.. It cannot be run that way... Went through something similar awhile back like last year.. same thing.. I even at one point was trying to do an upgrade on a Vista System to Windows 7.. the same way and yet it would not allow it...

I honestly think that unless I run across a GOD in the Windows Booting department and manipulation without the OS.. This will be a loss.. seems like it would be simple.. I even thought about doing a Registry restore using the .bak files.. BUT when these were done.. guess what was installed.. Acronis.. so that would be useless... its simply going to have to go directly to the issue...

I did notice extra notation about this being an MBR Generic Error and the most likely cause being a configuration change.. probably saying 'duh' but its info.. LOL I dunno maybe its time to break it in half and walk on down the road... ( To keep it from falling into the hands of some unsuspecting individual to be wrangled by it... )

BSOD Error Codes 0x0000007B ( 0x80D86B58 0xC0000034 0x00000000 )

• Administrator

BSOD Error Codes 0x0000007B ( 0x8D86B58 0xC0000034 0x00000000 )

You would have probably done it already, but Hiren contains BlueScreenView, you can look into it and see whats' causing the BSOD. :)

Never know, even a small file can cause huge problems.

Where is it at.. the Problem is that the most recent burn I have of Hiren's is 11.0 RE.. for whatever reason I can't even find any MFT Tools.. nor any blue screen view.. I did try an HD Controller fix.. as the first set of error numbers above state that.. the rest exist nowhere online.. which was why I wanted to look at my MFT and MBR to see if something as there that should not be.. I did delete everything relative to the work Acronis and removed all of the entries indicated on their site.. tried several more Startup Recoveries.. and thus far .. nothing..

The HD error said it has something to do with AHC-something and SATA connections.. there are ot options in my BIOS for the switch over... and until I find the other two error codes I won't even know...

Been stuck and sleeping it off after being up all night until 7AM this morning trying to fix it... Just woke up .. probably should start pulling the files off one by one.. and getting ready to wipe the drive and system out... Looks like I am the only one to have this problem...

Been a good long run though.. it seems when I start to be more productive my system and events go south... what a trap...

• Administrator

Does you're BIOS have a hidden screen? My old Award one had it. That allowed me to change my HDD modes...

I tried to find other options to it... Its a Phoenix version I think.. I did find that hitting F11 gave me boot device option.. After I actually go in and select device andhit enter then there are a couple of options but nothing special.. that I know of.. I could be wrong about he BIOS type too.. but I think its Phoenix/Award.. on an FIC International MOBO.... VIA Chipset.

• Administrator

Yup, if I remember correctly, F11 is the key to bring the hidden items. My had Sata and IDE option. AFAIK, last time I read about your VIA chipset, you had the same one that my old mobo had.

Yeah.. I think age is a factor too.. but nothing you can do about it.. I tried it .. though.. not there unfortunately.. the BIOS on this machine is VERY simple... not a whole of lot of options..

• Administrator

Yea it's a laptop BIOS so guess that's the reason.

I don't think it matters anymore cause chances are less that we'll be able to find anything with it, but, if you feel that something can be found in your BSOD dumps, send them to me, I'll post back a screenshot.

Wouldn't know where to start in fixing this, but if your updating Acronis, do you have system backups on external hdd and the Acronis boot disk version? Thats what I had to do when in a similar situation. (I had no idea what to do with Hirens)

I have not ever been able to recover W7 Ultimate 64. I have tried Aronis, system restore and installation disk, non did I and had to do clean install every time, No less than seven times. When trying to restore to a early date there are no restore points and system restore is disabled, Something disables it because I've checked the restore points and create them often. I don't think the feature works. Acronis has been useful only to clone disk, other than that when trying to restore an image it crashes and the partition disappears from the HDD.

I have now an image done with windows backup and not hopping to try it.

John

Well I actually did have some backups of my XP installation and of my Windows 7.. BUT when my system started acting crazy accessing USB EHD's awhile back.. I had to stop because it would lock my system up almost every time... I can tell you this.. Acronis WILL NOT be reinstalled on anything.. IF in fact it is the real and true cause of these two issues... I like 2010 so I chose to test it and liked what it provided .. Particularly the ability to backup one system to another without killing drivers and causing other problems.. Which was the plan when I was able to buy another system.. but this is just a problem.. I usually am able to recover from most issues like this.. and have not had to do a reinstall to fix something since around 2005/6.. on this computer... ALL tribulations with it aside... upgraded/installed Windows 7 Ultimate as soon as it hit the shelf so to speak.. in 2009 I believe and has been fine since...

I did have to reinstall my Mom and Dad's system to fix a problem with .Net Framework 2.0.. which is part of the OS.. but for whatever reason it has done it again... and I am not/refuse to touch it again... not even for a monthly update.. it was purchased and made in 2000/2001 and has been a curse ever since...

All in all.. pretty resilient.. has a ton of daily use and I would hate to see an hour counter on the machine.. I naturally assume I have simply not improved enough and expanded my knowledge enough in this area as I am unable to fix it n my own nor experiment with a secondary.. To explore these areas .. and find the information for people who get these issues... Some of this stuff is quite mysterious or outdated..online when it comes to problems of this nature...

So ..NO... no backups and I have to start combing through my personal files on the drive and find a way to transfer them over.. after which point I will be shredding the drive and reinstalling Windows 7 Ultimate.. if in fact, all of this does not fix the issue and this problem only triggered an underlying problem.. People can be waving good-bye to me for a long time next to forever.. Soo.. that is just the way it goes I guess.. :)

I had my Ultimate x64 Windows corrupted before and an "Upgrade" does the trick using the disk.

Well.. I probably should have tried it but too late.. I have started deleting Junctions ( hardlinks for some of you ) and eradicating extra folders and files for my User Account... Next will be grabbing the files and copying them over.. from all of the rest of the directories... I had planned to do a fresh installation awhile back.. I had a small issue and was like you know it should be about time anyway.. I fixed it and went on... Catches up to you they say.. LOL.. Have been looking at some good looking systems.. but it would be awhile.. Samsung Series 9 caught my eye.. but a 13" screen is not going to work.. Thermaltake Level 10 is a good looking box too.. but still..

LOL.. atleast I know what I want.. :thumbsup: Thanks for all the help.. :) I think this Topic is wrapped up..

EDIT: Making this post from Windows 7 Ultimate and IE8 fresh installation.. Got all the files.. ( the longest part )... Wiped the drive, partitioned, formatted and installed in under and hour and a half.. Record-breaking for me.. no problems on the drive causing the issue.. so this was due to the botched Acronis installation... Now comes the lenghty stuff.. :rolleyes:

Archived