Another dead laptop?

elohelomg

Just got my hands on a toshiba, pretty new, and it has that damn problem all laptops seem to have now. When you turn on the comp, the power goes on, the lights are there, but there is no black screen.

Now I know your thinking "just take out the batter (some say ram too), hold the power button and turn it back on". Doesn't work. You also cant turn it on with just the power cord for some odd reason, and, sometimes when you turn it on, it'll go up, and then shut down.

A wee bit of help please :)

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you mean by 'there is no black screen'? It could be either a failing Mobo, or a failing HD, or could even be bad RAM.

Are you able to boot to CD? Download Hirens Bootable CD, test your RAM with Memtest. Test your HDD by using the Dos Programs, Seagate SeaTools->Long Test.

Just got my hands on a toshiba, pretty new, and it has that damn problem all laptops seem to have now. When you turn on the comp, the power goes on, the lights are there, but there is no black screen.

Now I know your thinking "just take out the batter (some say ram too), hold the power button and turn it back on". Doesn't work. You also cant turn it on with just the power cord for some odd reason, and, sometimes when you turn it on, it'll go up, and then shut down.

A wee bit of help please :)

I'd say this was sorta random and vague, but it peeked my interest because 2 customers brought me laptops with the exact same symptoms this week. Coincidencal bad luck I suspect, but still....

My first and only guess would be memory. I had the same problem few weeks back. Try another memory slot.

Are they equipped with a geforce 8k series graphics card? They tend to die...

Try to remove everything (if you confirm its the gfx card), and put it in a preheated oven at 200 degrees celcius.

This will reflow the eutectic solder used, as it is broken now.

Not a troll btw

Archived