advice about firewall

jonahlomu

Hi,

I wanted some advice about which is the best firewall to install? It's a very long time I use only windows firewall, and I would like to try something new and more complete (if possible).

I downloades outpost firewall pro 7.1 and it seems good but I wanted an opinion more detailed and complete from you.

I have a notebook with windows 7 and Nod 32 as AV.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Staff Note: Moved to Security and Privacy Center. :)

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Outpost is fine, Comodo has a nice firewall also, but you should know that "the best" does not exist in the world of software. You could also try a Security Suite from the known vendors and have it all in one place.

PS: Even the Windows 7 firewall is OK and should be enough. I used ONLY the Win 7 firewall for months, until Kaspersky released a compatible KIS for Win 7 x64, and when I installed KIS, there weren't any infections, computer was clean.

Thanks for the info. I have a problem: I downloaded this version from the site with the patch too, but now it says that too many pc are using this serial number, so the firewall will be no more updated.

Can I continue to use the firewall or do you think is better to install another? Thanks

What kind of firewall you're looking for when you say complete? A combination of fw/hips or just pure firewall? If you want a pure firewall, i suggest using LookNStop. Its very light, configurable and pretty strong if you're not into the whole leak test of a HIPS. If you want a combo of fw/hips, i say Online Armor since its very easy to use with an understandable pop up it will throw at you.

LeetPirate
What kind of firewall you're looking for when you say complete? A combination of fw/hips or just pure firewall? If you want a pure firewall, i suggest using LookNStop. Its very light, configurable and pretty strong if you're not into the whole leak test of a HIPS. If you want a combo of fw/hips, i say Online Armor since its very easy to use with an understandable pop up it will throw at you.

I endorse this. biggrin.gif

Go here They have detailed reports on each product, if you are interested read them and see which suits.

Thanks a lot for the replies.

I decided to desinstall the outpost and to try zone alarm pro, that seems very good.

Not very complicated to set and at the same time, easy to use.

Whoever gave you the ZA advice, did so based on ancient information. This firewall is not what it used to be...

Whoever gave you the ZA advice, did so based on ancient information. This firewall is not what it used to be...

This is why I ask. I remember that zone alarm was considered a very good firewall in the past, perhaps no more now.

Why do you think is not good, or not good as it was?

Which firewall is good in your opinion?

Thanks

ps: Comodo firewall is free or not?

I used to recommend it in the past, but seized to do that after some computers with it installed have slowed down to a halt, or crashed. So I went on the net to seek solutions, only to find reviews about how dismal ZA firewall became after it was on top. You can search on Google and read yourself.

Comodo is free and comes on top on many tests. I never used it tho' but its resume is impressive. Another classical choice is Outpost. Look'n'Stop used to be another top choice in the past, didn't hear anything until this thread about them.

Norton and Kaspersky and ESET have security suites that will give you very good all-around protection. It's been many years since I bothered with separate AV/FW solutions, I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security and happy with it.

You can't go wrong with any of these. Just learn how to use it and you will be fine. Install a few in a virtual machine and decide which one you like.

Note: All software has issues. There's no perfect solution ;)

• Administrator

I won't recommend ZA even if it'd be the last option available. Yes it used to be good, not anymore.

Comodo is free and is used/preferred by many. :)

I won't recommend ZA even if it'd be the last option available. Yes it used to be good, not anymore.

Comodo is free and is used/preferred by many. :)

Thanks guys. I finally installed the comodo firewall and it seems so easy to use and at the same time so powerful!!!! :-)

Archived