Does wiping a hard drive before reformat...

d3v

Hi all,

I have always wiped a hard drive with 1's and 0's for 2-3 passes before reformatting with Windows and swear it makes for a rejuvenated and faster hard drive.

Is it just me, or do you guys notice the benefits?

• Replies 3
  • Views 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

I have always wiped a hard drive with 1's and 0's for 2-3 passes before reformatting with Windows and swear it makes for a rejuvenated and faster hard drive.

Is it just me, or do you guys notice the benefits?

Indeed, I agree. I love Darik's Boot and Nuke.

That can only decrease a life of hard drive, and in my opinion just decreases performance. Just do quick format to hide all (windows) files.

Cheers ;)

I actually agree that it does possibly decrease the life.. But its no worse than writing and reading data once or however many passes on the drive from front to back..

IMHO.. I think that it is a good idea to do so as it can repair and realign the magnetic layout of the drive.. which is exactly what HDD Regenerator does... and how it does it. It can be a good idea for security reasons especially if its a used system.. You never know where its been .. :o and it is something that I do.. Can take awhile.. but it can be worth it to be prepared and think ahead.. go above and beyond in a few cases.. migt even make it more reliable. :dunno: I shred partitions and all data on the drive... it takes awhile.. and in some cases where there have been many are of corrupted file, and data storage.. including bad blocks.. these can all be overwritten and restored if its s something that is simply because of that very point.. and yes in those cases.. even if an error is being read that isn't allocated or can't be allocated as a bad block.. your performance will increase...do to several reasons.. but you ill not exceed hardware limitations..so not really an extra but possibly restorative..

Archived