How to configure Norton AV/IS to *ask* what to do?

threejay

I am trying to configure Norton AV and IS 2011 so that the software will pop up and *ask* me what to do once a virus is detected, rather than move the file automatically to the Quarantine. I don't want files to be moved automatically, because this can be a real bugger with false detections. Can anyone please help me with this? Thanks!!

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No way for Norton. It's fully automated. :frusty:

So there's no trick, registry hack, hidden setting, or manual configuration file that let you do that? Bummer... :(

There are some things that it lets you do. In the 2012 version, for example (sorry, I don't recall if this was in 2011 or not), in the Computer/Real Time Protection section, you can set "Remove Risks Automatically" on Ask Me, and set "Remove Risks if I Am Away" on Ignore.

But that's just for one piece of Norton's protection. There are about 8,000 other ways it does detection, and not all are covered by this. If it finds something that it considers a high risk, it's gone.

This is the major flaw with Norton for me, along with the fact that I find myself disabling/impeding so much of it that I realized that it's not the product for me. It just does too many things in too many different ways.

This is the major flaw with Norton for me, along with the fact that I find myself disabling/impeding so much of it that I realized that it's not the product for me. It just does too many things in too many different ways.

I agree; that's the main reason I left Norton for other, more configurable products like Avast. Nevertheless, every time a new Norton version comes out I install it only to discover it's still deleting things at will... Thanks for the feedback, mates!

Archived