usb not showing

karachidude

karachidude

hey guys,

i just bought a new 8gb usb today and making it bootable to install win7 with it.i m following the steps

Plug your USB storage device and run CMD and execute the following commands one after another.

Diskpart - Run Disk partition utility

List disk - To get disk index that is used to perform disk partitioning.

Select disk 1 - Selects disk to perform disk partitioning.

Clean - Flush your existing all USB drive’s partitions.

Create partition primary - Creates a partition as primary partition.

Format recommended - Format your USB drive with recommended parameters. (No need to worry about file system format)

Active - Set the partition as active to hold bootmgr.

Exit - To quit Diskpart utility

but the problem is,the usb drive is not showing in the "list disk" results,its only showing my hardrive,the usb drive is also not showing in the bios...anyone knows y

• Replies 20
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
karachidude

the usb drive is showing along with my hardrive on explorer,its also showing in disk management,but not in cmd and bios

I would be willing say this could/would have to do with Hardware Identification.. ( Being its setup as a an HD without ATA Device or anything of the sort to interface.. ---While it can be formatted to act as a HD it is actually removable or flash media.. so the BIOS may be showing conflicting information.. You may also have to add this disk in the BIOS... Could be the Hardware interface and/or the divers for your system and how they work route certain Hardware Types through the 'buses'.. ( or drivers )

You need to have the ability to boot from USB as well... for it to work.. so older systems may not support it...

8GB is a bit small isn't it?

EDIT: I remember having a disappearing partition on my USB before.. not for sure if the generation Flash Media would support it.. nor the OS..

Dunno.. someone correct me if I am wrong..

karachidude

yeh..4gb and above works,the system supports the boot from usb option,i have also enabled the "legacy usb storage detection" option,still it the usbs not showing in the command promt

Have you tried running as Admin (starting with CMD ) and how old is the instructions or tutorial and for what OS?

I am guessing the USB has been formatted and partitioned prior..

karachidude

i m running xpo right know,using the default account with admin rights(i havnt made multiple accounts just one),and i was trying to install win7

i usb drive has been formatted

i m following this one

http://microsoftfeed.com/2011/how-to-install-windows-7-using-bootable-usb-storage-device/

here are the solution.

plug in your usb

search for computer management

run disk management

you will see your usb name there with a blank drive letter (unassigned)

right click on it and select "change drive letter and path"

choose "F" or any unused letter.

should be fixed.

let me know if this solve your problem

karachidude

here are the solution.

plug in your usb

search for computer management

run disk management

you will see your usb name there with a blank drive letter (unassigned)

right click on it and select "change drive letter and path"

choose "F" or any unused letter.

should be fixed.

let me know if this solve your problem

yeh man..thats the first thing i did

karachidude

bottomline

theres no solution,winxp does not treats usbs as disks but removable media,and does not allow to "active" them.therefore not possible to install win7 using usb through winxp,unless offcourse someone knows how :lol:

although win7 to win7 should work fine,cause it shows usbs as disk.

majithia23

did you try booting into Safe Mode and then try plugging in your Drive ......

and why do you want to manually make a bootable Win 7 USB , ...

use this --- Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool from Microsoft ..

its plain , quick , simple and automated ...

just get the Win 7 ISO , run the tool , select the USB mode and it would do the rest ...

and yes its perfectly possible to create a bootable USB with Win 7 on it in XP , with this tool .

i have my self done it ... ;)

as reported by MS , you need --

•Microsoft Image Mastering API v2 must be installed.

•Microsoft .NET Framework v2 must be installed.

or

you can even try UNetBootin ,

it too can install Win 7 onto a USB and make it a bootable one .....

karachidude

did you try booting into Safe Mode and then try plugging in your Drive ......

and why do you want to manually make a bootable Win 7 USB , ...

use this --- Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool from Microsoft ..

its plain , quick , simple and automated ...

just get the Win 7 ISO , run the tool , select the USB mode and it would do the rest ...

or

you can even try UNetBootin ,

it too can install Win 7 onto a USB and make it a bootable one .....

yeh mate, i tried win7usb stuff,isnt booting for me,yeh i wll be tryin the unetbootin way :)

majithia23
yeh mate, i tried win7usb stuff,isnt booting for me,yeh i wll be tryin the unetbootin way :)

let me clear my doubt ...

you were able to create a Bootable USB with Win 7 on it , but arent being able to boot your pc with the USB .?

in this case , it has to be the BIOS .

some thing which says Boot options , Boot Order or Legacy Support , needs to be enabled .... or if all else tried , then the MoBo lacks an option of booting from a USB ....

or

you are unable to create a Bootable USB with Win 7 on it , while working in XP ...?

in this case , please check your system has these two tools ---

•Microsoft Image Mastering API v2 . ( imp ... )

•Microsoft .NET Framework v2 ( must already be there .. )

install these ,

run the Win 7 USB tool again ,

and it would do the rest ....

karachidude
let me clear my doubt ...

you were able to create a Bootable USB with Win 7 on it , but arent being able to boot your pc with the USB .?

in this case , it has to be the BIOS .

some thing which says Boot options , Boot Order or Legacy Support , needs to be enabled .... or if all else tried , then the MoBo lacks an option of booting from a USB ....

or

you are unable to create a Bootable USB with Win 7 on it , while working in XP ...?

in this case , please check your system has these two tools ---

•Microsoft Image Mastering API v2 . ( imp ... )

•Microsoft .NET Framework v2 ( must already be there .. )

install these ,

run the Win 7 USB tool again ,

and it would do the rest ....

haha..yeh mate i was able to run the tool,and make the win7 usb,but it aint bootin,i have enable the lagacy boot option,and have forced my bios to treat the removable media as cdrom,but when i restart,it halts at the beginning and looks as if it wll take up the installation,but the installation screen doesnt appear.

my bios do support usb boots and i m running xp :)

Consider upgrading to Windows 7. I failed at emulating your problem at my machines here (all running win7). There is this lonely laptop in the corner running on Windows XP that I have not tried it on yet...

karachidude

@ jalaffa

i would install from dvd,but my dvd writer has died,i got myself this new usb so i thought i could try,i wll if this does not work install with a dvd :)

@biz

its "p5qpl-am" by asus

http://www.asus.de/product.aspx?P_ID=08c0CULpvP1ZM9kT

-----------

i dont know why i m not able to boot,i used the unetbootin app,it doesnt boot for me aswell,i have set my boot device priority to removable drive,i dont know what else to do

Bizarre™

@karachidude:

Go to USB Configuration and try changing the Emulation Type.

karachidude

@karachidude:

Go to USB Configuration and try changing the Emulation Type.

mate i changed it to treat usb as cdrom,it stalls a little at the begining,looks like it would show up the installation screen but that doesnt happen,the i changed it to auto(treating usb as hardrive),but i wll try once again

Bizarre™

@karachidude:

Maybe you should try your USB on a virtual environment (e.g., VirtualBox, VMWare, etc.). See if it boots there.

LeetPirate

Some usb drives cannot boot due to drive controller or firmware reasons, I think those U3 drives are retarded, and I have this swivel kingston drive that does not work either. What you should do is try that usb drive in another computer and see if it boots, OR try another usb drive that you know boots for sure.

if you get that usb drive to boot another system then we can know for sure the problem. Try a bios update on you system as well.

karachidude

yeh leet,i wll do that,my dvd writter is working know,just installed a fresh copy of win7 enterprise :D

Archived