Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy Gibbon" Released

Samurai

9085836UbuntuLogo.png

Homepage: Ubuntu

Ubuntu is a community developed operating system that is perfect for laptops, desktops and servers. Whether you use it at home, at school or at work Ubuntu contains all the applications you'll ever need, from word processing and email applications, to web server software and programming tools.

Ubuntu is and always will be free of charge. You do not pay any licensing fees. You can download, use and share Ubuntu with your friends, family, school or business for absolutely nothing.

We issue a new desktop and server release every six months. That means you'll always have the the latest and greatest applications that the open source world has to offer.

Ubuntu is designed with security in mind. You get free security updates for at least 18 months on the desktop and server. With the Long Term Support (LTS) version you get three years support on the desktop, and five years on the server. There is no extra fee for the LTS version, we make our very best work available to everyone on the same free terms. Upgrades to new versions of Ubuntu are and always will be free of charge.

9855678UbuntuLaptop.jpg

Everything you need on one CD, which provides a complete working environment. Additional software is available online.

The graphical installer enables you to get up and running quickly and easily. A standard installation should take less than 25 minutes.

Once installed your system is immediately ready-to-use. On the desktop you have a full set of productivity, internet, drawing and graphics applications, and games.

On the server you get just what you need to get up and running and nothing you don't.

Screenshot:

Ubuntu 7.10 Desktop

9079527UbuntuDesktop.png

How Do I Get It?

There are now three ways for you to get Ubuntu. Downloading, Purchasing a CD from vendors such as Amazon or Requesting A Free CD.

All options can be found by visiting Ubuntu's "Get Ubuntu" Link

• Replies 7
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have a problem installing normally try this:

sudo sed -e 's/\sfeisty/ gutsy/g' -i /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Nice tip. I'm assuming this is for if a user is upgrading from 7.04 "Feisty Fawn"?

Or would this be on a virgin installation?

BTW - Your sig needs to be updated :) Might be worth pointing to their download page instead of the i386.iso as users may not have that specification as well. At least on the download page, they'll be given the option of what they want.

Tried 7.04 and went back to Vista. It just didn't cut it in areas (dual displays, etc). I'll give 7.10 a go, been waiting for this.

Nice tip. I'm assuming this is for if a user is upgrading from 7.04 "Feisty Fawn"?

Or would this be on a virgin installation?

BTW - Your sig needs to be updated :fool: Might be worth pointing to their download page instead of the i386.iso as users may not have that specification as well. At least on the download page, they'll be given the option of what they want.

Yes, that code is for upgrading from 7.04 "Feisty Fawn" IF the Update-manager gives a error.

Thx for the note about my sig.

Finally the wait is over. Much awaited Release :welcome:

A few interesting quotes...

I also think there needs to be a type of graphical installer implemented, slightly different than repositories, that allows a program to deploy a binary version of itself, or compile when necessary, and hide the whole deal under a nice GUI. The main difference is that with this installer, the necessary prerequisite libraries would already be included. Similar to Windows' MSI installer, or Apple's PKG installer. While it may not be the best solution for program installation, it's much more comfortable for the end-user.
However, the only thing stopping me from fully adopting it is the FHS. They need to consider a Gobo Linux directory structure http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobolinux. This would allow for a unified, no more package management, and extremely simple installation and removal of programs in all Linux distros similar to windows and mac. This would also allow developers to create a single Linux program release instead of half a dozen. I have had a fair few brakages with synaptic and lots of troubles finding sources so that i can update to the latest and greatest. Ubuntu can really brake the mold of the other 1000 or so distros out there by doing somthing unique and much needed.
Its time for this change. If you look at the ubuntu forums you will see there have been many threads about this very thing and you will see there is also a majority of people in support of such a proposal. Unix users are very stubborn so for this to be the case says something.

Archived