Adobe Software Vulnerable To Hacks

Samurai

adobelogojd0.png

Adobe has admitted that some of its programs contain flaws that make computers vulnerable to attack.

Adobe has posted a notice on its website acknowledging that it unknowingly incorporated vulnerabilities into versions of Adobe Reader and Acrobat software that could allow malicious programs to get on to a PC without the user's knowledge.

Adobe believes the flaws only affect computers running Windows XP and Internet Explorer 7 and says it is working to rectify the problem, but the fix might not be available until the end of October. Rival browsers Firefox and Opera have not reported any similar problems.

Some security experts say that may not be soon enough to stop hackers determined to get malicious software past firewalls and other security software. "Users should pressure Adobe to release a patch sooner than that," says Gadi Evron, a security expert at Beyond Security.

Security experts say what makes the Adobe case disturbing is that it came to light before the company had a solution to fix the problem, which means hackers have an opportunity to exploit the situation.

The software maker would have preferred to hold off notifying the public of the flaws in the software until the fix was ready, says John Landwehr, Adobe's director of security solutions and strategy.

However, its hand was forced when the flaw was reported by Heise Security. Adobe disclosed it later that day on its own site along with instructions for working around the problem, but Landwehr says the instructions are for administrators who run corporate networks, not consumers, who will have to wait for the fix.

Source: Reuters

• Replies 10
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Registry Modification being:

Acrobat:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\8.0\FeatureLockDown\cDefaultLaunchURLPerms

Reader:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\8.0\FeatureLockDown\cDefaultLaunchURLPerms

9. If tSchemePerms is set as follows:

version:1|shell:3|hcp:3|ms-help:3|ms-its:3|ms-itss:3|its:3|mk:3|mhtml:3|help:3|

disk:3|afp:3|disks:3|telnet:3|ssh:3|acrobat:2|mailto:2|file:2

10. To Disable mailto (recommended)

Modify tSchemePerms by setting the mailto: value to 3:

disk:3|afp:3|disks:3|telnet:3|ssh:3|acrobat:2|mailto:3|file:2

11. To set mailto to prompt

Modify tSchemePerms by removing the mailto: value:

disk:3|afp:3|disks:3|telnet:3|ssh:3|acrobat:2|file:2

12. Close RegEdit.

Alternatively, use Foxit.

this is not good news 4 me at all but i think kaspersky will do its job regardless of adobe's security flaws(which dont come as a great surprise 2 me, since cs3 facilitated so much the communication between the different parts of the production process).

thx 4 the share

Well thankfully I've been using FoxIt for quite some time now. The installation size is absolutely minimal, and it loads up in seconds.

As I don't use Adobe Reader, I can't test out the fix that cruelsister posted, but if that is indeed the fix, many thanks for posting it here on the forums. I'm sure someone will be testing it out soon enough :)

cant do much here bout abode stuff. i need pdf creator software, and if happens that acrobat pro 8 comes integrated with cs3 (huge bloatware :) 800mb+ ), what can i do about it... i need 2 make pdfs 4 printing and sending 2 contractors. happy though that i didnt have the money to use Collaborate or who knows wat other services adobe included 4 easier communication.

OpenOffice has the ability to save files into PDF's. The guides I recently wrote for Newsgroups were written in OpenOffice, and the file was saved with no compression on the image side of things. I'm sure there's always an alternative when looking for software that does the same as what you're after.

OpenOffice has the ability to save files into PDF's. The guides I recently wrote for Newsgroups were written in OpenOffice, and the file was saved with no compression on the image side of things. I'm sure there's always an alternative when looking for software that does the same as what you're after.

ill have to check how illustrator and ps work with openoffice. lemme find a 'victim' that needs an office suite installed :)

Well thankfully I've been using FoxIt for quite some time now. The installation size is absolutely minimal, and it loads up in seconds.

As I don't use Adobe Reader, I can't test out the fix that cruelsister posted, but if that is indeed the fix, many thanks for posting it here on the forums. I'm sure someone will be testing it out soon enough :)

i will have to give that foxit a try.thanks for the posts.

Another reason that I am proud to be using FoxIt. Thanks to our NSane community, I learned of it last year and have absolutely no complaints. I highly recommend it to all who are sick of Adobe.

Reader was getting to the point it took forever to load just to read a pdf. FoxIt loads very quickly. The free version is a bit crippled though.

Archived