Blocking Software Internet Access Using KIS 2011 Firewall

Tweety.Abd

Tweety.Abd

Hello,

I'm new to Kaspersky Internet Security 2011, and I have no idea on how to use the Firewall. I need to block lots of software from the internet access. Any help would be appreciated :)

Thank you.

• Replies 3
  • Views 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Open KIS > Settings > Firewall > Settings

Now you see a list of apps that KIS know about. If what you want is not in the list, just run it once.

In the Permission column, right-click on the green allow sign, then select Block. Do that for all the apps you need blocked. Use the Search field to make sure you block everything you want.

Click OK. Click OK once again. App blocked. You can block whole groups, or individual apps.

This is not the only way to do it. Sometimes, if you know what the domain you need blocked, the hosts are a better deal.

Tweety.Abd

Open KIS > Settings > Firewall > Settings

Now you see a list of apps that KIS know about. If what you want is not in the list, just run it once.

In the Permission column, right-click on the green allow sign, then select Block. Do that for all the apps you need blocked. Use the Search field to make sure you block everything you want.

Click OK. Click OK once again. App blocked. You can block whole groups, or individual apps.

This is not the only way to do it. Sometimes, if you know what the domain you need blocked, the hosts are a better deal.

Do I have to run the application using the internet connection to have to appear in the list, or just run it (without the connection). Is there a way to manually add programs to be blocked besides running them? And I have to agree with you that host files are a better way to do the job, but I prefer leaving my host file without any modifications, and besides, it's hard enough to find which domains the applications are using to verify their authenticity.

I thank you for your help and taking your time in helping me out, and I really appreciate your efforts. Thank you 'Toyo'. :)

Not sure if you can manually add a previously "unseen" application to the rules. I don't know exactly how KIS adds new apps to the list, but the list is populated with the known installed applications in the computer even as KIS installs itself. Sometimes, even opening a folder in Explorer with known apps is enough, or downloading it from the Internet. Other cases you must click it or even launch it. KIS uses KSN ((Kaspersky Security Network) service to update these rules.

Here's another (more complex) way to look at the application settings:

KIS > Settings > Application Control > Applications >

Now there are the same "groups" (by vendor/certificate signer/Trust), but if you follow the same procedure as for the Firewall settings I explained, you will be able to edit even more settings for applications, including the Network Rules.

If you want full control of your KIS, make sure you are using it in Interactive Mode: Settings > General Settings > Interactive Protection > Untick "Select action automatically". There will be more popups, but you will have full control and you will know what each app wants to do in your system.

Also you want to be "Prompted when scan is complete" in the Scan settings.

KIS has many other Settings, make sure you visit all the pages and read what they do.

Archived