New currency for space travellers

gagquin

New currency for space travellers

_44158294_currency_other_203.jpg Quids are made from the polymer used in non-stick pans Scientists have come up with a new currency designed to be used by inter-planetary travellers. It is called the Quasi Universal Intergalactic Denomination, or Quid.

It is designed to withstand the stresses of space travel and has no sharp edges or chemicals that could hurt space tourists.

It was designed for the foreign exchange company Travelex by scientists from the National Space Centre and the University of Leicester.

"None of the existing payment systems we use on earth - like cash, credit or debit cards - could be used in space," said Professor George Fraser from the University of Leicester.

"Anything with sharp edges, like coins, would be a risk to astronauts while the chips and magnetic strips used in our cards on Earth would be damaged beyond repair by cosmic radiation," he added.

_44158391_coins_other_203.jpg Different value "coins" come in different sizes and colours

Using any sort of technology that involved sending and receiving information from Earth would also be impractical because of the distances involved.

Quids are made of the polymer best-known for its use in non-stick pans.

The Quid "coins" have moulded edges so that they will not damage anything if they accidentally float free in zero gravity.

National Space Centre scientists predict that regular trips into space will be commonplace in the next five years and that tourist facilities on the Moon are a distinct possibility by 2050.

Professor Fraser told BBC News: "With an inflatable space hotel, from Bigelow Aerospace, under development in the US, and Virgin Galactic developing SpaceShipTwo, there will be better access to space than there has been.

"In the fullness of time we will have to adopt a universal currency if we are going to carry out serious commerce in space. It's an interesting initiative."

Travelex said: "It's only a matter of time before people will be walking up to our shops and asking for Quids for their two weeks in a space hotel."

It is currently quoting the currency at £6.25 to the Quid.

source

• Replies 9
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

has euro space program even sent someone into space? last time i check it was soviets (russians) usa and china.

classic was pegging it to the euro. i guess that means we can actually buy this quidish joke on earth already. we in the usa call this franklin mint liberia crap coinage as seen on tv ads (for a limited time only you can get 5 orders per family....).

has euro space program even sent someone into space? last time i check it was soviets (russians) usa and china.

Wikipedia | European Astronaut Corps

i meant did they send their own person up on their own rocket? using the other 3's doesnt count :)

That is crazy to be already making a form of currency for space travel. So what is the exchange rate for these? <nvm saw the part at the end>

That is crazy to be already making a form of currency for space travel. So what is the exchange rate for these? <nvm saw the part at the end>

"It is currently quoting the currency at £6.25 to the Quid."

basically they are doing a franklin mint libria coinage tv ad.

hurry up. buy now before it goes up in cost. (note nowing lower then 1 harry potter quidish plastic color spin topper pog)

just another nobody group that is trying to show why they should be allowed to contunie to exist in government. i wonder how many quids they cost EU?

i think i remember seeing that subject news picture from before somewhere. if i remember it right

1=1

2=10

3=100

4=1000

5=10000

guessing. but i think that is right. if so that would make making fakes profitable.

went from shiny rocks to wampum,to gold,to silver,to paper,now high tech plastic.wonder what space credit cards will be like.

went from shiny rocks to wampum,to gold,to silver,to paper,now high tech plastic.wonder what space credit cards will be like.

hand or thumb scan

babylon 5

Well Star Trek didn't use currency. Apparently they all worked in that era to "better themselves". If only it were true in this day and age.

Well Star Trek didn't use currency. Apparently they all worked in that era to "better themselves". If only it were true in this day and age.

supposely the federalation didnt use money. but you saw it everywhere else.

it was (one show eps i believe) a cheeze line in ng that didnt flow well with the whole startrek world.

i consdier it a goof like the many other goofs in each eps

Archived