Folder Locking Application

General Lee

General Lee

Hi guys. :) I'm looking for an application that can do the following:

* Lock folders (of course :lol:)

* Prevent them from being copy/pasted

* Aren't able to be looked at through other means (exploring folders, other software)

* Reliable, as in; say there's been a corrupt install/uninstall and I can't open my locked folders after that :fear:

* Prevent them from being moved around anywhere inside the computer

* User friendly GUI ^_^

* (Optional) Can lock specific files (file types)

So, what would you guys suggest? If you do mention an application and if you've used it, please also mention how it works and the experience you've had with it. Thank very much guys. :)

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FolderLock does as what you need, but the bottom line is-I would only recommend TrueCrypt (all of them where posted earlier somewhere in soft updates)

Secure Folder is the best and it is freeware.

Supports: Lock, Hide and Encrypt.

Most of the paid software don't support all of these methods.

Description:

Secure Folder is an easy-to-use folder security software that lets you hide, lock and encrypt folders using 256-bit AES encryption through an intuitive and simple interface.

Key Features:

Unlimited number of folders can be protected at the same time.

Intuitive & easy-to-use interface.

NTFS, FAT32 and FAT volumes are supported.

Implements 256-bit AES (Rijndael) to encrypt files.

Effective password protection.

System Cleaner, File shredder.

Removing or uninstalling will not uncover locked folders.

Windows Explorer integration.

Supports Drag & Drop.

Live update.

Fully compatible with Windows XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, Windows 7

Freeware.

Thanks. :D

BillyBootlace

I find Universal Shield to be excellent.

I believe 4.4 is the latest version.

For USB Flash Drives I use WinMend (which is free).

majithia23

Have a look at Password Folder from IoBit .

its free and works good ,

lock / hide/ rename , it can do it all ....

Winmend (free) or Universal Shield (paid)

WinMend has a bug that sometimes deletes all of your files in your hidden folder when you hide them.

It deleted all of my files twice, so I don't recommend it. Never got to try IObit Password Folder,

I'm happy with Secure Folder been using it for a year now with no issues.

I use Microsoft Private Folder on XP, but it is not supported on Vista/ Windows 7.

Don't know why Microsoft discontinued it, it was the best hidden folder program that I have ever used.

Secure Folder is much like Microsoft Private Folder.

• Administrator

Winmend (free) or Universal Shield (paid)

WinMend has a bug that sometimes deletes all of your files in your hidden folder when you hide them.

It deleted all of my files twice, so I don't recommend it. Never got to try IObit Password Folder,

I'm happy with Secure Folder been using it for a year now with no issues.

I use Microsoft Private Folder on XP, but it is not supported on Vista/ Windows 7.

Don't know why Microsoft discontinued it, it was the best hidden folder program that I have ever used.

Secure Folder is much like Microsoft Private Folder.

Just yesterday I was ranting about why M$ discontinued M$ Private Folder, man those were the days.:D

I did use FolderLock for a long time on current OS. But suddenly one day it became all blank, the GUI shows nothing, and no matter what cleaning / upgrading I do, the GUI remains blank. :( I thought I lost all of my data, but no I was wrong, FolderLock wasn't as unhackable as they advertize it. :sneaky:

I never lost data with winmend 1.4.3

Maybe they have fixed the problem with current version but still I don't want to take a chance with loosing my files again, two times is enough for me.

Another issue with WinMend, if you hide your files with the program, you can still boot with a Linux live CD and access all those files without any problems.

If you have two OS installed on separate hard drives like WinXP and Win7, you can still access all of your hidden files from the other installed OS.

I couldn't believe it when I was logged on to my Win7 OS, I made sure that my files were hidden with WinMend. Then I rebooted into my WinXP and went to all of my hidden files without any problems.

This is a strong weakness in the program if you really want your files hidden. With Secure Folder and Microsoft Private Folder, none of those files can be accessed with Linux live CD or other installed OS.

Archived