Gamepad buying advice

DKT27

• Administrator

From years I've been using keyboard to play PC games, but after Test Drive Unlimited 2 released, I thought it was enough. I read enough messages etc. that seemed like playing a game on keyboard is like sin these days. So finally I've decided to buy a gamepad.

I was actually planning to buy a gaming wheel but looking at it, the starting price of the cheapest one is at $55 and the good ones start from $110 here. Which is out of my budget.

So I looked into everyone's recommendation about XBOX controller for PC. And to my surprise, the wired version is priced at just $33.

I have no idea about gamepads and the last time I had hold one, it was a NES or SNES controller. I have few questions where I'll like a opinion of you guys..

Do I really need a gamepad? The biggest reason I need is for racing games that are getting uncontrollable with keyboard. Though I play other games as well.

Which one? I've read enormous amount of praise and good reviews about XBOX controller. I also read about PS3 controller but it was mentioned that it may not suit my needs + is too expensive. What about Logitech Rumblepad 2?

How well it be compatible? Works properly with PC? Recently playing Shift 2, I saw that Xbox controller was the only one that was configurable.

Will it get too old? :P Xbox controller was released years ago, and Wii have announced new console in 2012, will even M$ follow it and released new controller.

• Replies 20
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't need this, lol. Just put the money you have in the piggybank, and be patient. When you have 200-250 USD, get the hammer, break the piggy, and go wild on some nasty graphics to go with the i5, you will be amazed by the eye candy and high resolutions.

• Administrator

LOL. It's not about graphics (I can play Shift 2 at 30FPS). It's about control. Seriously, play TDU2 or Shift 2 with keyboard, you'll be killing yourself on every finger you move. :P

It's your system. For me it's about priorities. I could not give a damn for peripherals like this until I have a strong GPU, since I like to play some games.

And 30 fps it's damn annoying, it will dip in to the 10 fps zone on some parts (probably). Unacceptable to me, although I played at 17-ish fps when my GPU died and I had to reinstate a Geforce 6600.

Trust me, a modern game, let's say like Mass Effect 2 (many Unreal engine games, that's why I mention this one), at 1080p (or more if your GPU/monitor can do it), with all the eye candy enabled, and running at 60 fps is a totally another experience then a 720p, 30 fps, no HDR, no dynamic/soft shadows etc.

Your i5 begs for a powerful GPU, I can hear it screaming from my desk in Romania :P

• Administrator

Not so soon. I may well have to wait 2 more years if I want to look into another GPU. :)

But really, GPU is no a concern to me. I'm satisfied. It's control that I'm having a trouble with.

Then get a wheel/pedals. I doubt the Xbox controller will do. In the end though, it's again about preferences, I played with joysticks (on Commodore C64 and Amiga), controllers on Xbox, Dreamcast and PS, and I'm most comfortable with a keyboard and a mouse. It's only the flight sims that really are way better with joystick(s), but there are no more such games, they killed them.

I admit I'm not into driving though... I need story&character development of some kind :P

• Administrator

Nah wheel would be too expensive ATM. Would cost me a ATI HD 5770 (which is still really overpriced here) to get a good one.

I prefer the Xbox 360 controller over the Logitech. I own an old cordless rumblepad 2 but never use it since getting the 360 wired controller. I don't play driving games though. If games support a controller then it's mostly geared towards the xbox controller. You can use Pinnacle Game Profiler for games that don't support controllers.

Most games are better with a mouse and keyboard but its nice to use for certain games. Just very slow for FPS type games, still works but pretty slow.

get the xbox360 controller if u want a cheap gamepad... i got it for $35 from US... and its about the same price here in India too.... and almost all recent games support it without using any key mapping software like 'xpadder'..... its worth it...

• Administrator

Thanks for the info guys (also the softwares if needed :D ). I read that Xbox controller was most suitable for driving games. :)

I have no idea how it will work but I heard the D-Pad is the only negative about it. What's so wrong about the D-Pad for Xbox controller? I do play Street Fighter like games, but I guess can play it with keyboard if needed.

ANW, I may well order the Xbox wired controller tomorrow (late) morning. I'll still love some more feedback so I can be sure about it. :wub:

the xbox360 controller dpad has less usability in the case of games like street fighter.... but thats no reason to not buy the 360 controller... for driviing games its great...

i dont know how much it will be useful but you can read HERE to get some info on the design flaw of the 360 controller...

• Administrator

Thanks again. Yea it seems like D-pad is like hell, but seeing couple of youtube videos and few articles, everything else makes it one of the best controllers ever made. So XBox 360 wired controller it is.

Well I'll like the black one, but it seems it's over-priced, so I guess white will be good enough.

Will be ordering soon. :)

Never had problems with the Dpad personally. It gets used for item selections and stuff in games I've played, or camera etc.Don't use it very often. Not using the controller now as all I play now days is Minecraft :D, so happy to use keyboard and mouse for that. I've had an xbox360 for years and the controllers are still going. I think the analogue sticks would give out first tbh.

I have a good old Logitech Rumblepad 2 and I love it, it's rather cheap (25$~50$). Just my two cents.

2nd that...

Purchased 2 for Madden when it was still on the PC and used it for street fighter 4 as well recently.

They feel like a PS2/3 controller.

• Administrator

Just to let you guys know. Haven't bought it yet.

My uncle's shop is near the computer heaven place in Mumbai (on the other side of the city). And he wasn't able to find a shop that sold XBox controller. So now I'll have to myself travel to buy it and I don't have time... So may well take a week or two.

Thanks for the info about Rumblepad 2, I have decided to buy the Xbox one, but Rumblepad 2 is certainly top on the list if I cannot find a Xbox one. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Just got it today. :D

Uncle searched whole city, engineer search whole city, no one had it.

Finally, few days ago I saw a contact number on one of the top sellers on eBay india, called him, got it today. Though I haven't got chance to try it properly, the Xbox controller does look very good.

Thanks again guys for the help. :)

If you are ever going to get another one, I'd recommend the wireless model of Xbox 360 controller bundled with a receiver. Ok you do need couple of rechargeable batteries (or a battery pack) for it but it's so much nicer that way in my opinion. Also it's just as reliable as a wired model, it's the default one after all. Depends on your age but since you live in India, buying online might be the best option. I use sites such as amazon.com* and ebay.com really frequently.

*Amazon could be considered a bit more reliable option.

• Administrator

Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind. :)

Well I'm using it from many days now and it's very very good. The comfort level, the analog stick on left also fits perfectly on my hand, the triggers, it's just great. I can actually play few races in Shift 2, which is quite impossible task if you ask me.

About D-Pad, it's probably the worst thing M$ has ever made, thank god it doesn't get used too much, next to nothing I guess.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind. :)

Well I'm using it from many days now and it's very very good. The comfort level, the analog stick on left also fits perfectly on my hand, the triggers, it's just great. I can actually play few races in Shift 2, which is quite impossible task if you ask me.

About D-Pad, it's probably the worst thing M$ has ever made, thank god it doesn't get used too much, next to nothing I guess.

I currently use some Gigatech gamepad. It's really excellent when it works. Analog stick are poor quality and dies quickly. That's why I asked you about Xbox controller. And yes, it's very hard to play on keyboard. That's when I decided to try gamepad which I used only for PES, and it's much easier to drive. I suppose it should be even better when I get myself this controller. BTW, did you try Audi TT. It's killing machine! I don't think any car on this game has that good acceleration. Brakes and handling are bad, but I'm still winning with it. Same thing was with first Shift (Lamborghini Murcielago was better :D), but it was not possible to go though whole game because of 265 km/h top speed, but in Shift 2, top speed is 320 Km/h, so it's great.

Cheers ;)

• Administrator

Xbox 360 controller is designed in a way, lets say, you keep your right thumb on buttons and left thumb on an extract line of the buttons, on the analog stick. What this does is gives proper comfort to the people who want to play games in a genuine controller way, analog only users may not like it.

I don't know what I'm playing here. All I know is I'm playing cause it's NFS and I've downloaded 6.77GB, so I need to complete it by "trying" to enjoy what it throws at me. Hopefully driving Lambo will make me feel better.

BTW, the vibration on the controller in Shift 2 is very realistic. :D

Archived