Windows Live Messenger [Tips & Tricks]

zeon22

windows-live-messenger-2009-9-beta.jpg

Windows Live Messenger, formally known has MSN Messenger (provided by Microsoft), has to be one of the favourite messaging clients. Here are some tips & tricks for Windows Live Messenger.

Hiding Groups, Favorites and Tabs from Messenger

You can remove these features easily within the Messenger options.

removetabs.png

1. Click your display name and click More Options - or press Alt on your keyboard to bring up the menu bar and click Tools > Options.

2. Click the Contacts tab on the left.

3. Untick the Show favorites, Show groups and Show the tab bar check-boxes.

4. Click OK.

Disable all Messenger animations

Fisrtly we need to find the Vendor and Device IDs for your graphics card, so we need to access your Graphics Card properties:

1. Right-click the desktop and click Screen Resolution

2. Click Advanced Settings

3. Under the Adapter tab click Properties - this should bring up the properties for your graphics card

4. Click the Details tab

5. In the dropdown, click Hardware Ids

6. See the picture below and write down your VendorId and DeviceId in a notepad file so we can use it later. Mine were 10de and 0e22 respectively.

3gpuids.png

7. Click OK and close everything we just opened

Now we need to enter these values into the hardware blocklist:

1. Open the registry by typing regedit into the Start menu or the Run dialog

2. Navigate to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live\UX\HwBlockList\0\0

3. Look through the numbered folders and create a new key numbered 300 (it can be any number not taken, but we don't want it to be overwritten when new exceptions are added -thanks Chris).

4. Within the new key you created, right-click the empty space and create 4 DWORDS: DeviceId, Flags, Options, VendorId

5. Remember the ids we wrote down earlier? Enter the values into their corresponding fields and set Flags and Options to 1. Here is what mine looks like:

4disableanimations.png

6. Close the registry and restart Messenger, the fancy shmancy animations should now be disabled.

Removing the image advertisement in the message window

2removeimad.png

1. Click your display name and click More Options - or press Alt on your keyboard to bring up the menu bar and click Tools > Options.

2. Click the Messages tab on the left.

3. Untick the Show expanded footer in conversation windows checkbox.

4. Click OK.

Prevent Messenger from remembering your login details

The "Remember my password" option is quite useful, but it can also be a problem. What if you changed your email account, or updated your password, or you just don't want Messenger to remember it anymore? It's as easy as clicking on "Forget me"

messenger01.png

If you don't see this option, it's because it's hidden in a drop-down menu; click the rounded arrow button to bring it up.

Completely erasing a contact

Erasing a contact from your Messenger list is as easy as right clicking the name and selecting "Delete contact". Plus, if you have enabled the "Only people from my Allow list can see my status and send me messages" option in Privacy settings, you won't see him or her again.

messenger02.png

The only problem is that the contact will still appear on the Block list. If you really want to get rid of every single trace, right click the contact's name on the Block list and hit "Delete". Note that the Delete option will only be available if the selected contact has also erased you from his/her list.

Backup your contact list

messenger05.png

Did you know you can export and import your Messenger contact list? It comes in handy to move all your contacts from one computer to another. Simply go to Contacts > Save instant messaging contacts and you're done. The contacts are saved as a CTT file, a XML-based format that you can edit with any XML editor.

See Which Contacts Haven’t Added You To Their Contact List

One of the most searched for keywords on my website is “how do I find out who blocked or deleted me on MSN”. It is really simple to find the answer and you don’t have to install any software on your computer or spy on your friends.

In Windows Live Messenger just go to Tools ““> Options, go to the Privacy section, and under Contact List, click on View. The list that is presented to you are all your contacts that have got you on their contact list. If a contact of yours is not on that list, they have either not added you or have deleted you because they don’t want to talk to you anymore ““ yes I know the feeling.

If going through that list will take a while, you can also download aMSN (which is a excellent portable MSN program for your USB drive). When you view your contacts, the contacts that do not have you on their list will have a red cross next to them.

amsn_contact_list.png

Another good thing is that you can send unlimited nudges to your friends!

• Replies 4
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Serial Killer

I have voted your post, your reputation is "12" Now, SO VOTE MY POSTS INSTEAD. B)

DreamHaters

Yeah i use A-Patch as well, even though its gotten more useless as features have slowly been removed.

On a side note, i feel rep points are given by deserved posts not by asking.

• 3 months later...

Archived