Can *not* rename USB-drives!

RadioActive

RadioActive

For some reason I can NOT rename any USB drive, be it my 1TB WD MyBook or my 16GB U3 Flash Drive. No matter what method I use the name doesn't change, it always remains as "Local Disk" on Windows 7 (at least for the HDD). I can normally rename any partition of my internal HDD without problems.

Needless to say that I tried almost every method I can think of including using the command "LABEL" from the prompt but nothing happens.

So, any ideas?

PS: I AM talking about the label not the drive letter.

• Replies 4
  • Views 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

something had corrupted your hardware management rights in registry, I'd try change account type forth and back (with complete re'starts) also if to go semimanualy- try Yamicsoft manager registry cleaner

BillyBootlace

On a slightly different note, here is a little freeware program that may help those with usb problems, especially drive letter conflicts

USBDeview is a small utility that lists all USB devices that currently connected to your computer, as well as all USB devices that you previously used.

For each USB device, exteneded information is displayed: Device name/description, device type, serial number (for mass storage devices), the date/time that device was added, VendorID, ProductID, and more...

USBDeview also allows you to uninstall USB devices that you previously used, disconnect USB devices that are currently connected to your computer, as well as to disable and enable USB devices.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Download link is near the bottom of the page

RadioActive

Did you try to format the pendrive?

Not an option.

something had corrupted your hardware management rights in registry, I'd try change account type forth and back (with complete re'starts) also if to go semimanualy- try Yamicsoft manager registry cleaner

I'm not sure I follow, my account is the only account and obviously it's an administrator account. Also, I had this problem before even when I installed fresh windows it didn't help.

On a slightly different note, here is a little freeware program that may help those with usb problems, especially drive letter conflicts

USBDeview is a small utility that lists all USB devices that currently connected to your computer, as well as all USB devices that you previously used.

For each USB device, exteneded information is displayed: Device name/description, device type, serial number (for mass storage devices), the date/time that device was added, VendorID, ProductID, and more...

USBDeview also allows you to uninstall USB devices that you previously used, disconnect USB devices that are currently connected to your computer, as well as to disable and enable USB devices.

http://www.nirsoft.n...vices_view.html

Download link is near the bottom of the page

Not sure how it'll help but I'll give it a try anyways, thanks.

Archived