Overclocking Help

Frosticles

Hi guys i was wondering if i could get some help overclocking my AMD Phenom II 965 Black Edition, at the moment ive got it at 3.732GHz (15.5 * 240) and 1.452V The bus freq does wobble around so thats not what it normally is

cpuqc.png

Thats what it normally is

I have tested this with 5 1/2 hours of Prime95 (Small FFT) and got max temps of about 65C and its completely stable. I have fiddled around with it and have had at around 3.9GHz with about 1.46V but that wasn't stable. Ive got an Asus M4A89GTD PRO motherboard if that could make any difference. Ive also overclocked my MSI 5770 Hawk to 945MHz core and 1330MHz on the memory at 1.225V. I tested this with Kombustor and its stable, but temps are about 75C so i stopped there. So has anyone got any advice on what to do because im quite new to overclocking so i dont want to go pumping through lots of voltage or something, without being completely sure on what im doing to it :fear: .

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Frosticles:

You should see if you can have a stable OC with lower voltage first. The lower the voltage the better.

You should also set your RAM to the lowest frequency, so you can push your OC further.

For more details, you should read this: Link

Although it's a guide for Intel C2D and C2Q, the concept applies on how to OC.

Also, you should search for articles regarding your CPU: Link

You must reduce the number of sources for error. So you will first OC the CPU until everything is nice, stable and dandy, then you will start the RAM OC. That's to make sure that if you get errors, they're not from RAM.

Question: Why do you need the extra speed for? You have a good quad CPU. It would tear through almost everything. So you must ask yourself this... "Do I really need that OC?"

@Frosticles:

Since you have a Black Edition, it means that the multiplier is unlocked.

It also means that you can also increase FSB together with multiplier.

The frequency of RAM is double the FSB (e.g., 333 FSB = 667 RAM).

You really should visit the link I posted above, and read the guide regarding OC.

@toyo:

In most cases, OC of CPU means OC of RAM.

But since he's got a Black Edition, he should take advantage of that.

well the OC im running with at the moment is only a 3 speed bin overclock, so i though well i might aswell cos my temps are fine, it doesnt make any loud noise and its very stable. I was just sort of curios because there are quite a few games where they do lag and i have to turn the graphics down, so i was just wondering if i could get any more out of it.

@Bizarre: I never said he shouldn't OC the RAM. Just to keep it at stable speed until he's done with the CPU, so he would know the eventual errors are not from the RAM. Standard OC proceeding :P

Frosticles, what about the GPU? What's your videocard? What games you're playing that are giving you low fps? What resolution is your monitor and what resolution you are usually playing the games at?

@toyo:

Well, that why I told him to set his RAM to the lowest frequency.

Once he OC, the RAM will be safe since it has yet to exceed its rated frequency.

It's basically the same thing I did with my rig. Hence, I have a stable OC.

I can even OC it further, but I'm not going to push it especially this time of year.

I did read that guide by the way and it did help me understand a little more so thanks for that :D. so for RAM OCing 809.3 MHz (3:10) @ 9-9-9-24 it's that at the moment. So in the bios i need to look for CPU FSB? or RAM FSB and turn it up slowly until something doesnt go well?

Frosticles, what about the GPU? What's your videocard? What games you're playing that are giving you low fps? What resolution is your monitor and what resolution you are usually playing the games at?

Well Ive also overclocked my MSI R5770 Hawk to 945MHz core and 1330MHz on the memory at 1.225V. I tested this with Kombustor and its stable, but temps are about 75C so i stopped there. The games are Just Cause 2 TDU2 and DiRT 2 are the ones so far. My resolution is shit though its a 17" 4:3 1280:1024 monitor :(

@Frosticles:

You better start with CPU multiplier with default FSB and RAM. Afterwards, FSB and RAM. Just remember to set RAM frequency to the lowest, so you won't accidentally burn it 2lbz2xg.png

well i did build this system like 1 year ago and i have had this overclock for a few months now, but now i just feel the urge to see i can get any more from it. So ive done with the CPU multi and the bus freq. And also would it help at all if i got some quick snapshots of my BIOS so you could clearly see what done and point out what i should change?

@Frosticles:

Yes, some screenshots would be nice.

I think besides OC, your goal should be reducing the temp.

My CPU at default clock is 30°C, upon OC it only reaches about 45°C.

@Frosticles:

It should be helpful to you. Save it on your PC, so you have a reference.

As for screenshots, I thought you were posting some details concerning your BIOS.

thought you were posting some details concerning your BIOS.

Just took em should be uploaded soon :)

img01692.jpg

img01702.jpg

img01711.jpg

There You Go

EDIT: Sorry Uploaded the same image twice :frusty:

You cannot realistically expect the HD5770 to play modern DX11 games maxed out, although some of them will, especially at 1280x1024. Make sure you defragment the HDD also, many hiccups come from the modern streaming tech included in the games (remember good old times "loading" screens? well now they're gone).

I'd say the CPU is your strongest part in your PC and I highly doubt you will achieve "lag-free" gameplay with the 5770. It's just not that strong to provide a high enough, stable minimum framerate, so you will occasionally get some problems, especially in open areas with lots of fighting and effects. The 5770 is also pretty weak regarding DX11 tessellation (problem mostly "fixed" in the 2nd gen HD6800/HD6900 AMD cards). Although at 1280x1024, it should provide a very nice experience.

@Frosticles:

Your BIOS sure is much more complicated than I imagine.

I've been reading the BIOS Features concerning your MOBO: Link

It seems your BIOS is slightly different than what is displayed on the link.

Although, I now have an idea why you're getting an unstable OC once you reach 3.9GHz.

Your CPU voltage is in the normal range. Your DRAM voltage is quite low, considering that it's set at 1600MHz.

The solution is simple really, either increase the DRAM voltage or decrease the DRAM frequency.

I also had the same problem once, and I had to do a lot of trial and error to achieve a stable OC.

The other voltages, I wouldn't dare touch them if I were you. Especially CPU voltage.

That's why I suggested it to be lowered. That's no longer a problem though since AMD says it's in the normal range.

BTW, if you modified DRAM timings I suggest you reset them to Auto.

You can modify them once you have reached your desired OC.

• Administrator

You have Asus mobo right? Have you ever tried it's automatic overclocking (just asking as is)?

You have Asus mobo right? Have you ever tried it's automatic overclocking (just asking as is)?

Via their Windows tool? That application is pure c*ap. Sorry for expression. Many applications or games can't recognize that. For example PES was going fast like crazy, like you changed game speed when that tool is used. While overclocking in BIOS works much better.

Cheers ;)

• Administrator

Via their Windows tool? That application is pure c*ap. Sorry for expression. Many applications or games can't recognize that. For example PES was going fast like crazy, like you changed game speed when that tool is used. While overclocking in BIOS works much better.

Cheers ;)

Nope. I mean the BIOS auto overclocking. Ai Tweaker > OC Tuner limit value > Good Performance/Better Performance/Best Performance/Extreme Performance > OC Tuner Utility = Auto overclocking (with few reboots ofc).

PS. I have never tried it myself cause I avoid overclocking, but it seems that it's good. That's why, I'm asking if tried before...

Actually it was auite funny when i used asus's auto overclocking feature i think its called Turbo V Evo or smin like that. I had it at smin like 3.8GHz back when i first tried it, so i started it. It went straight to like 3.95GHz, then 4.1GHz then 4.2GHz, 4.3GHz, 4.35GHz annnnnnnnd BSOD :fear: (blue screen of death) so i never used it again XD

And i have also tried to BIOS one, so i clicked on it it went straight into a reboot, and i open CPU-Z to find it overclocked it to a massive 3.3GHz :s

• Administrator

Actually it was auite funny when i used asus's auto overclocking feature i think its called Turbo V Evo or smin like that. I had it at smin like 3.8GHz back when i first tried it, so i started it. It went straight to like 3.95GHz, then 4.1GHz then 4.2GHz, 4.3GHz, 4.35GHz annnnnnnnd BSOD :fear: (blue screen of death) so i never used it again XD

And i have also tried to BIOS one, so i clicked on it it went straight into a reboot, and i open CPU-Z to find it overclocked it to a massive 3.3GHz :s

Yea TurboV is crap. But as for BIOS, there are options, (good, better, best, extreme performance), did you try those?

I personally don't need to overclocking cause I need to save electricity, and as for games, it's not too much CPU dependent, hence never tried to be sure.

Archived