Convert videos for a BD player

spootnack

Hello guys.

I have a Blu-Ray player (LG BD390).

It reads MKV but not all the time...(sometimes without sound).

Here you are the informations about a video (which doesn't work) : Click here

and his end of the filename : 720p.HDTV.x264.mkv

Here, you are the docs about the BD player : Here

Under "Support", and "Documents", 1st "Video Manual" (page 41 and 48) and 2nd "Specifications".

So my question is, if I have a HD video which doesn't work, how and with which software and config must I convert the video (and to keep HD quality for sure) ?

Thank you very much guys, I'm a noob in video :P .

++

• Replies 6
  • Views 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Even I'm not an expert in videos (and totally noob when it comes to blu-ray), but I guess ConvertXtoDVD may help.

So you didn't solve this yet? You know, there are new firmwares on that support page, make sure you first update your player to latest available, it might add new format/codec compatibility.

Since this process could get reallysticky if you're not into video and codecs in general, I'd suggest that you play the mkvs directly from your computer, and leave the full standards-compliant Blu-ray Discs for the LG. Your web mkvs will come from different encoders, each one with different settings for the codecs... you might need to convert all the time, which is time consuming and pointless in my opinion, since you can just connect the PC to the TV and play it in a minute.

Maybe some of your MKV files have header compression? I read that some standalone players cannot play mkv files with header compression. I also experienced mkv files that wouldn't play on my WDTV Live. I followed the solution of this link to fix the mkv file and it played on my WDTV Live. :)

The fix will only take a few minutes on a 4.3GB file.

Hope that helps.

Hello guys.

Thank you to all !

@ DKT27 : Yes, ConvertXtoDVD is a nice software but more for "Divx to DVD", less for HD.

@ toyo : Yes, firmware is up-to-date.

@ ck_kent : Thank you !!!! It was a header compression problem !!! I removed it and it's works fine now !

I follow these instructions :

CHECKING IF A MKV FILE HAS HEADER REMOVAL ENABLED

MKVToolnix (MKVMerge) is a nice toolkit !

I used MKVInfo with GUI (command is -g) to see if there was some headers then I removed them with MKVMerge GUI (less than 1 minue for ~2.5 GB ! => Remux).

Hope that all MKV problems will just be header problems...

More informations here : Why does audio or video not play anymore since v4.1.0 (e.g. MP3, AC3, DTS audio tracks, h264 video tracks)? The fault of players sellers who doesn't correctly implement the codecs specifications.

Cheers.

++

Started with the right foot on the codec world :)

Very good job ck_kent on finding the right solution.

I'm glad it's now working for you, spootnack. Happy viewing!

Maybe there's an updated firmware for your Blu-ray player that would make it play mkv files with header compression. I mentioned that because Western Digital has released a firmware update for their WDTV Live product so it will play mkv files with header compression - no need for remuxing anymore. :D

Archived