How to Access Blocked Websites Bypassing Streamyx Internet Filter

madeinheaven

madeinheaven

I never had problems accessing any websites even though it is known that our Malaysian ISP TM Net has implemented blocking of some “offensive” websites. I got to know more about this when I was helping a friend in configuring his Firefox web browser and he told me that some of the websites on his bookmarks are no longer accessible. One of it is GutterUncensored.com which seems to be a p0rn mixed with some political news website. I am not bothered by the political news in Malaysia because of the “drama” but I know that if something sensitive being posted on a website, that website is at risk of being blocked by Streamyx Internet filter.

I tried to ping gutteruncensored.com and got the error “Ping request could not find host. Please check the name and try again”. When I did a lookup with nslookup, it says that gutteruncensored.com is a non-existent domain. Now when I tried using online ping and lookup from Network-Tools.com, they are able to ping and resolve the domain to the IP 64.202.189.170. The first thing that came to my mind is to change the DNS because by default the wireless router provided by Streamyx is set to use their DNS server which is 202.188.0.133 and 202.188.1.5. I tried changing to Google Public DNS and the blocked website is able to load instantly! Looks like the engineers did not put a lot of effort in filtering websites.

Changing your DNS servers settings is pretty easy. Even if your wireless router that you got for free from TM Net is set to use TM’s DNS servers, you can overwrite it by setting the Google Public DNS on your Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection. You can refer to this guide on how to configure your network settings to use Google Public DNS.

Do take note that if you use a broadband modem where you need to manually connect like what is shown on the image below, then you will need to set the Google Public DNS on the broadband connection properties.

01833098586182455474.png

1. Go to Control Panel

2a. If you’re on Category view, click on View network status and tasks

2b. If you’re on Large or Small icons view, click on Network and Sharing Center

3. Click on Change adapter settings that is on the left hand sidebar.

4. Right click on Broadband Connection and select Properties

5. Go to Networking tab

6. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) to highlight it and click the Properties button.

7. Select “Use the following DNS server addresses” and enter the following DNS servers:

Preferred DNS server: 8.8.8.8

Alternate DNS server: 8.8.4.4

8. Click OK on all windows.

If you’re not comfortable in using the Google’s Public DNS servers, you can try OpenDNS.

Preferred DNS server: 208.67.222.222

Alternative DNS server: 208.67.220.220

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived