New Firefox Logos for Nightly and Aurora Channels

DKT27

• Administrator

rEMgpl.jpg

(Click to open larger image)

Early adopters used to testing very early development milestones of Firefox are undoubtedly familiar with the logo that accompanies the Minefield releases.

With or without the lit bomb fuse, the Minefield logo was designed to show that the specific releases of Firefox that featured it, were still far from finalization (it's actually missing the fox to drive the point home).

With Mozilla looking beyond Firefox 4.0, the plan is to drastically accelerate the release cycle of the open source browser.

In this regard, Firefox 5.0 could be offered to users in mid-2011, Firefox 6.0 six weeks after that, and subsequent Firefox iterations six weeks apart after that.

As such, the entire Firefox development process needed a revamping. Part of the overhaul is the proposition to build new versions of Firefox with a focus on four channels, not three as it has been the case until now.

Christian Legnitto, Mozilla release manager noted the need to add the Aurora channel, to the existing Nightly, Beta, and Release channels.

It appears that the Firefox Nightly and Firefox Aurora testing releases will feature new visual identity elements, specifically fresh logos. (via Sören Hentzschel)

The new logos are certainly an improvement over the current Minefield design, and I cannot help but wonder whether the official Firefox logo will also be redesigned for the next release.

At this point in time there are no indications that Mozilla plans to introduce a Firefox logo facelift, but it has certainly happened in the past, and it will just as certainly happen again.

Also included in this article are the About Nightly and About Aurora dialog boxes. Below users will find Legnitto's explanation of the Mozilla Channels post-Firefox 4.0.

"1. Nightly – builds created out of the mozilla-central repository every night. These are not qualified by QA

2. Aurora – builds created out of the mozilla-aurora repository, which is synced from mozilla-central every 6 weeks. There is a small amount of QA at the start of the 6 week period before the updates are offered

3. Beta – builds created out of the mozilla-beta repository, qualified by QA as being of sufficient quality to release to beta users

4. Release – builds created out of the mozilla-release repository, qualified by QA as being of sufficient quality to release to hundreds of millions of people."

FJBMIl.jpg

(Click to open larger image)

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

woot auroa build, cool....few features are confirmed but still unstable for beta users. :dance2: :dance2:

:wub: new logos

• Administrator

They should really update the Final version's logo, and I think it will be done for sure. :D The current one is getting old. =)

Nice logos but for me there is too much difference compared to original FF logo. Chrome changed colors on canary build and that's fine, but here... I don't know - nice logos but I don't like it if we talk about different channels of FF. In my opinion it should have more details from the original. Planet is OK, but... This is looks like other planet! Not from FF logo. (planet in the dark with city lights) :(

@silencer:

Personally, I prefer the old Nightly and Release channel.

At first, I suspected the Aurora channel to be for Beta and RC. It's seems that it's not the case.

I believe Mozilla added the Aurora channel to concentrate more on their QA.

I guess their declaration of pushing Firefox 5, 6, and 7 this year is biting them in the @$$ ^_^

They should really update the Final version's logo, and I think it will be done for sure. :D The current one is getting old. =)

Yeah, the Final FF Logo could use a little facelift for sure.

Archived