Sony, PS3 hacker George Hotz reach settlement

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

Over on the official PlayStation Blog, Sony has announced that it has reached a settlement with infamous PS3 hacker George "GeoHot" Hotz. The settlement was actually reached back on March 31, and while the terms were not fully disclosed, Sony did say that Hotz agreed to a permanent injunction.

"Our motivation for bringing this litigation was to protect our intellectual property and our consumers. We believe this settlement and the permanent injunction achieve this goal," Sony's general counsel, Riley Russell, said in a statement.

"It was never my intention to cause any users trouble or to make piracy easier," said Hotz. "I'm happy to have the litigation behind me."

Sony was also quick to point out that Hotz was not connected to the recent attacks made by hacker collective Anonymous, which were made in retaliation to the Hotz lawsuit. Those attacks, bundled together under the banner "Operation Sony," were to include a worldwide public boycott at Sony retail stores on April 16. Whether that will still go ahead in light of the settlement is unclear.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 2
  • Views 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sony ...

what a waste ....:lol:

after all the mess it created in the past few months ,

it itself picked the broom to clean it up ! :lol:

out of court settlement ....!!

brought down by The Anonymous or its image degradation in the public ! ??

Peace_Angel

I bet SONY was protecting Intellectual rights and its customers when it installed a 'copy protection' that included rootkit technology!

And they are sueing peeps for getting privileged access to their system.

Are they credible enough to put such a case in the court anyway! As long as enough stupid judges and greedy corporations exist, I believe that these kinds of things will keep on happening!

Peace.

Archived