Mistake Costs Dishwasher $59,000

Bolt_Gundam510

Bolt_Gundam510

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- For 11 years, Pedro Zapeta, an illegal immigrant from Guatemala, lived his version of the American dream in Stuart, Florida: washing dishes and living frugally to bring money back to his home country.

Two years ago, Zapeta was ready to return to Guatemala, so he carried a duffel bag filled with $59,000 all the cash he had scrimped and saved over the years -- to the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.

But when Zapeta tried to go through airport security, an officer spotted the money in the bag and called U.S. customs officials.

"They asked me how much money I had," Zapeta recalled, speaking to CNN in Spanish.

He told the customs officials $59,000. At that point, U.S. customs seized his money, setting off a two-year struggle for Zapeta to get it back.

Zapeta, who speaks no English, said he didn't know he was running afoul of U.S. law by failing to declare he was carrying more than $10,000 with him. Anyone entering or leaving the country with more than $10,000 has to fill out a one-page form declaring the money to U.S. customs.

Officials initially accused Zapeta of being a courier for the drug trade, but they dropped the allegation once he produced pay stubs from restaurants where he had worked. Zapeta earned $5.50 an hour at most of the places where he washed dishes. When he learned to do more, he got a 25-cent raise.

After customs officials seized the money, they turned Zapeta over to the Immigration and Naturalization Service. The INS released him but began deportation proceedings. For two years, Zapeta has had two attorneys working pro bono: one on his immigration case, the other trying to get his money back.

"They are treating me like a criminal when all I am is a working man," he said.

Zapeta's story became public last year on CNN and in The Palm Beach Post newspaper, prompting well-wishers to give him nearly $10,000 -- money that now sits in a trust.

Robert Gershman, one of Zapeta's attorneys, said federal prosecutors later offered his client a deal: He could take $10,000 of the original cash seized, plus $9,000 in donations as long as he didn't talk publicly and left the country immediately.

Zapeta said, "No." He wanted all his money. He'd earned it, he said.

Now, according to Gershman, the Internal Revenue Service wants access to the donated cash to cover taxes on the donations and on the money Zapeta made as a dishwasher. Zapeta admits he never paid taxes.

CNN contacted the U.S. Attorneys office in Miami, U.S. Customs and the IRS about Zapeta's case. They all declined to comment.

Marisol Zequeira, an immigration lawyer, said illegal immigrants such as Zapeta have few options when dealing with the U.S. government.

"When you are poor, uneducated and illegal, your avenues are cut," he said.

On Wednesday, Zapeta went to immigration court and got more bad news. The judge gave the dishwasher until the end of January to leave the country on his own. He's unlikely to see a penny of his money.

"I am desperate," Zapeta said. "I no longer feel good about this country."

Zapeta said his goal in coming to the United States was to make enough money to buy land in his mountain village and build a home for his mother and sisters. He sent no money back to Guatemala over the years, he said, and planned to bring it all home at once.

At Wednesday's hearing, Zapeta was given official status in the United States -- voluntary departure -- and a signed order from a judge. For the first time, he can work legally in the U.S.

By the end of January, Zapeta may be able to earn enough money to pay for a one-way ticket home so the U.S. government, which seized his $59,000, doesn't have to do so.

Source: CNN WORLD

• Replies 10
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what a f**king this poor guy got just because of not filling out the paperwork.well u.s citizens have it a little better but not much.

I agree, too much paperwork for living a non-troublesome life...

Poor guy :(

I hope they tax it.

they did. they took the $9,000 in donations too. :(

okay. going to say this once. no disrepect meant to anyone or anybody. this guy broke the law. customs information about the $10,000 be required to declare is in spanish and other languages. plus he had want home before by flying also.

he should done like all other illegals. wire the money home.

maybe next time he will get a work permit and pay federal and ss taxes.

guy wants to make money and is not an usa ciz. should join the us army and it would be all legal. even if he or she is an illegal they can still join up. catch is for only up too 8 years. but they can also fasttrack to become an usa ciz if in the military.

I hope they tax it.

they did. they took the $9,000 in donations too. :)

okay. going to say this once. no disrepect meant to anyone or anybody. this guy broke the law. customs information about the $10,000 be required to declare is in spanish and other languages. plus he had want home before by flying also.

he should done like all other illegals. wire the money home.

maybe next time he will get a work permit and pay federal and ss taxes.

guy wants to make money and is not an usa ciz. should join the us army and it would be all legal. even if he or she is an illegal they can still join up. catch is for only up too 8 years. but they can also fasttrack to become an usa ciz if in the military.

Couldn't agree more. Every adult in the US, every adult in the world, legal alien or not, working or not, knows they have to pay taxes. He was trying to get away with it. Simple. I've lived overseas in a couple countries and the only question was where and how much, not if.

Interesting article. I do genuinely feel for this guy, and yes it would be the same if it happened where I live too.

Whilst I do agree that he should perhaps pay back the taxes owed, taking the last 11 years of his earnings is a little cruel. The whole reason why people donated after they heard about this happening is down to one thing and one thing only... compassion. We all (should) have it. It's what makes us special. The government doesn't NEED the money. It's worth nothing to them. When you work out how much the Government's around the world spend on wars, projects that get cancelled, space projects etc... it's NOTHING in comparison.

I think they should take what is owed, i.e taxes, and give the guy his earnings.

Interesting article. I do genuinely feel for this guy, and yes it would be the same if it happened where I live too.

Whilst I do agree that he should perhaps pay back the taxes owed, taking the last 11 years of his earnings is a little cruel. The whole reason why people donated after they heard about this happening is down to one thing and one thing only... compassion. We all (should) have it. It's what makes us special. The government doesn't NEED the money. It's worth nothing to them. When you work out how much the Government's around the world spend on wars, projects that get cancelled, space projects etc... it's NOTHING in comparison.

I think they should take what is owed, i.e taxes, and give the guy his earnings.

problem with that is no punishment. everyone would do what he did (i mean the not paying federal taxes on income earn plus fica and ss tax) if i dont pay or didnt pay enough in the yearly filing i owe the difference. plus there are penalties for late tax payments.

he still broke mean federal and state laws. the guy is lucky he isnt thrown into jail and kids out of the usa after serving jail time. i know if i didnt pay i would be in deep shit.

btw if you own a house and rent it out you shoudl almost never have to pay federal taxes. you should get it all back.

also we are suppose to believe he didnt learn any english while year (bs) the place/places he work at are in trouble if they knew he was illegal. its hard to know if he is illegal if he use a fake ss card. btw that called ID thief.

Archived