New Commodore 64 is Finally Here--For Real!

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

WDoVk.jpg

I wasn't born when the first Commodore 64 came out--in 1982--but I can still appreciate some good ol' vintage computing. And apparently Commodore thinks other people can appreciate this too, because they're re-releasing the Commodore 64 with modern specs and retro casing. For real, this time.

The new Commodore 64 is, like the old 64, an entire system inside a (rather thick) keyboard. The old Commodore 64 originally cost $595 and featured an MOS Technology 6510 microprocessor, an impressive 64KB of RAM, and VIC-II graphics that supported a screen resolution of 320 by 200 pixels.

The new system, which also starts at $595, is a little more modern: it's got a Dual Core 525 Atom processor, an Nvidia Ion2 graphics chipset, 2GB of RAM (upgradeable to 4GB), a 160GB hard drive, and built-in Wi-Fi. On the left side of the keyboard there's a slot or tray-load DVD (upgradeable to Blu-ray), and on the right side there's a multi-format card reader, along with a USB 2.0 port. The rear features four additional USB 2.0 ports; mouse and keyboard PS/2 ports; DVI, VGA, and HDMI ports; Ethernet; and support for 6-channel HD audio. It runs Linux, but you can install Windows if you like.

Pretty cool for a computer that looks like it's from the 80's. Of course, if you just want the look--and you want to throw your own stuff inside--you can also order the "Barebones" package on the new Commodore 64 Website. The Barebones package costs $250 and gets you the case, chassis, keyboard, and multi-format card reader with USB 2.0 port. On the other hand, if you'd like to go all out, there's also an $895 "Ultimate" package that includes a Blu-ray drive and a 1TB hard drive.

The new Commodore 64 begins shipping at the end of this month, but you can order yours now--go get your BASIC on!

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RadioActive

I never had a Commodore per-se, but it reminds me an old Sakhr (Yamaha MSX AX170) I used to play with when I was a kid. Back then cartridges were expensive so we used cassette tapes (seriously) to play and store games. Ah, that brings back memories indeed, I still remember playing Zanac for hours :D

sakhr_ax_170.jpg

I had the Sinclair ZX-81 (not even rubber keys, and not even tape!), when everybody was messing with the Sinclair ZX-Spectrum (a work of art). My revenge came in the form of a used C64 (had tape, but also 5.25" diskette with seriously small capacity). We were a club of computer users, getting together 2-3 times/week to exchange cassette tapes (yes, that's how P2P started...)

Then I had a range of Amigas, which at that time blown away the XT/AT 8086/80286 PCs. With the new 386 on the rampage, the Amiga R&D was suffering from the collapse of Commodore, and never recovered *sad face...

@ Lohengrin: Your computer could be a clone of the Spectrum or C64, all developing countries tried to do that with various degrees of success.

I remember seeing the Amiga in action and I was blown away by it. Never imagined games could look so good. Whole different level they were. :o

RadioActive

@ Lohengrin: Your computer could be a clone of the Spectrum or C64, all developing countries tried to do that with various degrees of success.

You do realize that Yamaha is a Japanese brand, right? At least it was last time I checked :D

I didn't even see the italic Yamaha part, sorry. Had no idea they tried it into computers too. These guys manufacture everything. I read a little about the MSX in Wiki here.

Archived