Norton Internet Security 2012

0veR

• Replies 16
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He prolly signed up as a beta tester. I was a beta tester for NIS'11...didn't really have time this time around. Looks like they're getting a pretty early start for '12.

norton 2012 ,where is the download link ? i think norton 2011 is enough for me :)hehe

chlorophyll

nis 2010 vs kis 2012???

lets see which wins the battle

nis 2010 vs kis 2012???

lets see which wins the battle

You mean NIS/NAV 2012(v19.x) against KAV/KIS 2012(v11.x) but I'd say that Kaspersky is a whole lot better than Norton especially since/after 2009 even though Symantec started making their products less bloated around that time but Norton hasn't been the same under them :frusty:

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if Norton 2012 AV has an option to Ignore a found and "infected" archive?

In Norton 2011 AV, the only option is to delete it (nothing else available in the drop-down box for an archive).

Thus, because I do not want to delete the archives (many archives scattered in different locations), the Scan Results window keeps popping up again :frusty:.

• 2 weeks later...

@ganuco - the previous link does a good job at that.

@viking - not in all cases, no. There's a setting where it'll ask in some cases, and in other cases it'll just go to quarantine. It's long been requested though:

http://community.norton.com

/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-2012-Suggestion/td-p/436342

I've been trying out NAV 2012 in the latest build, and for the most part it's OK. In addition to the above limitation, though, I just don't like that there are something like 15 features that I want to disable or muzzle. Maybe it's because I have an older machine and am trying to make an AV use as little CPU as possible, but there really are some ridiculous defaults in this program. And wow, are there ever a lot of settings (and this isn't even NIS).

If there's a way to completely stop all forms of idle scanning, I've yet to figure it out.

@viking - not in all cases, no. There's a setting where it'll ask in some cases, and in other cases it'll just go to quarantine. It's long been requested though:

http://community.norton.com

/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-2012-Suggestion/td-p/436342

Actually, I was referring to something different:

After an idle scan, a window may pop up showing archives that NAV thinks are infected (they are not; they are false positives!).

Next to each archive there is a drop-down box with one (!) option: "Delete".

Thus, if I do not delete the archive and close the pop-up window, the window keeps popping up. I can never get rid of the window :frusty:

BTW, I am also annoyed by the auto-quarantine feature mentioned in the request above. Some programs suddenly stops working because NAV decides that the exe is a virus (again false positives) .

I agree with one of the posters: "Computer software exists as the servant of the user, not the other way round."

Ah, I see. After looking at the UI and help, I have to conclude that the only time you'll have a choice is when it's a Low Risk threat (which is something you can also tell it to ignore completely). Otherwise, it's deleted -- though you can disable that feature, one of many that for me need disabling.

• 4 months later...

Archived