Internet speed vs. Ping

anemones2

So I had adsl basic being 256 and often getting 30 kb/s download, now am on adsl2 which can get 300 kb/s.

But my ping in source games has suffered for some reason?

In aus servers I usually would get 27-35 now getting 40-55, and in others close to 400 (hard to compare but would

once get under 260) but even in those overseas servers I got decent ping in before, are about 20-40 over.

I ran an tracert on an aus server and had about 24 my end to 37 the other end, but in game is a little more.

And an ip of an overseas server and was fine until it went out of the Captial gaining about 200-300 and an extra 10 hops.

Any ideas if this can be fixed, shaped or fixed?

Also one other query. My friend has a wireless router, and asked how to connect-it to his pc, he uses it for ps3.

But not with a lan cable. Are there usb receivers or? I know a wireless card is needed for laptops, but what is the deal on a Pc?

thanks guys

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you use torrent applications while playing game? If not, you may try cFosSpeed to shape traffic. If that does not help, it might be that your ISP is bad.

Cheers ;)

You can buy a Wireless USB Adapter to connect any desktop to a wireless router. I suggest the ASUS USB-N13 300Mbps wifi adapter.

Do you use torrent applications while playing game? If not, you may try cFosSpeed to shape traffic. If that does not help, it might be that your ISP is bad.

Cheers ;)

thanks yeah it is almost like I am downloading and don't know it just with out the lag.

I checked comodo and the only net traffic is steam+hl2

so idk, and I think someone mentioned cfos only helps if you download and play.

and like I mentioned my isp pings back 24-27 it is when it goes from there to the captial city or where the server is,

or from there to overseas, the cables here aren't the best.

but I am getting 400 it is stupid. :<

Edit:

Thanks leet that is exactly what I needed to know, do you think the cheapies on e-bay should suffice.?

I don't think his net plan is super fast.

Archived