Problems trying to convert text file into reg file

Alpha1BA

Hi Guys,

Having probs trying to convert a text file into a reg file im doing the obvious but it doesnt wanna change from a text file!

Any ideas??

• Replies 8
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clearly protected file/location- solution permissions settings and /or simple copy/mod/move back/replace

Download Unlocker: Link

Then:

1. Install Unlocker.

2. Right-click the file and choose Unlocker.

3. Choose Rename on the drop-down list.

its allowing me to change its name but not its type, ie ive changed it to wp.reg but in properties its wp.reg.txt

would unlocker sort this?

@bizarre, cheers buddy worked a treat :)

Windows XP or 7?

Actually solution is same for either...

1. open the file you are wanting to convert. Select all (CTRL A); then copy (CTRL C)

2. open a new session of note pad. Click inside of the window and paste (CTRL V)

3. click file and "save as". when the prompt comes up to actually save the file, under save as type, click the down arrow and go to "all files". then the area above it. type in the name and extension you want to use. ie. wp.reg and save.

4 you now have a reg file

As nuthut said, make sure your SAVING AS under notepad, the default saves it as a .txt file, what you need to make sure you do is sabe it as a .reg file.

You can tell when you have done this correctly as it changes the file type to a reg file icon.

To add : The reason it's saving as file.txt.reg is because under windows you have to set to hide known extentions.

Tools / Folder Options / View and untick hide extensions for known file types.(Windows Sev7en)

its allowing me to change its name but not its type, ie ive changed it to wp.reg but in properties its wp.reg.txt

would unlocker sort this?

@bizarre, cheers buddy worked a treat :)

I think you have been create new file, then put some character into file and save it.

After that you try to change filetype to .reg.

If you try to do that like i mention above then, to make it .reg file, you have to change windows explorer settings to show extensions for known file types (windows explorer -> folder options -> view ->hide extensions for known file types) and then change from .txt to .reg.

If you didn't do like a explain then windows append .reg to the txt file without change file type.

That's why you can't change file type.

Hope it works now.

Regards.

Ooops, Dodel already explain what i think, so if it is duplicate answer, admin could remove my post.

Sorry.

Archived