Installing FF 4

asianman6924

asianman6924

Ok so I'm finally looking into installing FF 4 on my desktop here, but i have one question. Is it mandatory to uninstall FF 3 before installing FF 4? I know that alot of plugins do not work on FF 4 and so i want to keep both versions. Is there going to be any compatibility problems or anything?

• Replies 6
  • Views 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

No you don't need Firefox 3 in order to install Firefox 4. But you can't have Firefox 3 and Firefox 4 on the same system (as per my knowledge). As for addons, about 80-90% of addons are compatible with Firefox 4 here, rest, I've used nightly versions that may well release soon as stable. And even if there isn't any nightly available, there are ways to make them work. :)

asianman6924

No you don't need Firefox 3 in order to install Firefox 4. But you can't have Firefox 3 and Firefox 4 on the same system (as per my knowledge). As for addons, about 80-90% of addons are compatible with Firefox 4 here, rest, I've used nightly versions that may well release soon as stable. And even if there isn't any nightly available, there are ways to make them work. :)

Wait so i cannot have FF 3 and 4 installed on the same machine? So i would have to uninstall firefox 3 (becuase that is what im using atm) in order to upgrade to FF 4?

• Administrator

Wait so i cannot have FF 3 and 4 installed on the same machine? So i would have to uninstall firefox 3 (becuase that is what im using atm) in order to upgrade to FF 4?

Nono. Firefox 4 will automatically upgrade it. During the installation you'll see "Upgrade" button instead of "Install". ;)

Nice avatar asianman! :lmao:

You can simply "Upgrade" to version 4, install on same location and all of your bookmarks and addons will be saved.

About the addons, you can simply force them to work on FF 4, there too many ways for it.

The way I recommend is editing the Install.rdf files.

asianman6924

Aight thanks for the help guys. I just updated to 4.0 with no problems :D

Nice avatar asianman! :lmao:

haha thanks man

Archived