Firefox 4 doubles IE9 24-hour download tally

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

ckqNx.jpg

Firefox 4 doubled IE9's download total in less than 24 hours after its release.

Firefox may be under fire from Microsoft's newly competitive browser, but with more than twice the downloads in its first day, Firefox 4 soared over its rival by one measurement Wednesday.

Microsoft, not without reason, boasted that IE9 was downloaded 2.35 million times in the first 24 hours since its release last week. And that is indeed a big number, especially for a browser that tech enthusiasts had scoffed at for years.

But less than 24 hours after its launch, Firefox 4 cleared 4.7 million, according to the Mozilla Glow site that logs downloads.

That's a lot less than the 8 million copies of Firefox 3 that were downloaded in its 24-hour debut, but that event was a heavily promoted "Download Day," and it should be noted that Firefox 4's full day hasn't finished yet.

And it does signal that at least a very sizeable chunk of the Net-connected population is, in Firefox's apt phrase, choosing to "upgrade the Web." New browsers bring new Web standards, new performance, and often a new auto-update ethos that likely will lead to browsers staying continuously updated. That could simplify lives for Web developers who constantly wrangle with the difficulties of supporting old browsers.

Firefox 4 brings a raft of new features--new security and privacy options, faster loading and JavaScript, support for a variety of new standards including WebM video and WebGL 3D graphics, and 3D acceleration that extends even to Windows XP.

Mozilla expects that its arrival will lead to an increase in usage. The browser maker said it has 400 million Firefox users and counting, but as a percentage of worldwide browser use it's lost share to Chrome, which now accounts for more than 10 percent of usage worldwide.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Update: Well 24 hours of official release is gone. But for the keeps, it has reached 9.5 million downloads by now. :)

ebUK6.png

ROMANTICGUY50

Update: Well 24 hours of official release is gone. But for the keeps, it has reached 9.5 million downloads by now. :)

Cool Firefox all the way

Looks at the thread's title

...see's "Firefox 4 doubles IE9 24-hour download tally"

...only thing running through mind is "duuuuuuhhhhh....:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:"

its fast . its secure . its cunning .

its Firefox ... 8) .

accept it ...

(sorry IE 9 fans . you loose this time too .... )

way to go Fox ....:thumbsup:

its Firefox ... 8) .

accept it ...

Can anyone confirm how much of that download belongs to Vista/7 ?

No, I'm not a IE9 fan, I just divorced with Firefox for CHROME darling! :lol:

Two things i can't easily tell you guys.

IE9 is in windows update! So a huge amount of downloads come from there, and people have downloaded without any knowledge.

Also MANY, maybe milions of firefox and chrome user most likely downloaded IE9 before just to see, as i did.

So if ie9 says 40 milions in total of downloads, i think this the amount right now, i can bet 5-10 milions is actualy updates.

Edit:

If the downloads keep going like this(5,35k per minute), it will be 7,7M in the next day and 4-5M in the next.

its Firefox ... 8) .

accept it ...

Can anyone confirm how much of that download belongs to Vista/7 ?

No, I'm not a IE9 fan, I just divorced with Firefox for CHROME darling! :lol:

@ Just1acc

nice avatar . ;)

@ruan

agree .

Looks at the thread's title

...see's "Firefox 4 doubles IE9 24-hour download tally"

...only thing running through mind is "duuuuuuhhhhh....:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:"

This.

its Firefox ... 8) .

accept it ...

Well said...

ie9 provided only for win7 and not for xp. well the xp guys screwd... yeah, thats the way M$, go for it and ruined yourself again :)

welcome to the new era, the fox era :)

ie9 provided only for win7 and not for xp. well the xp guys screwd... yeah, thats the way M$, go for it and ruined yourself again :)

welcome to the new era, the fox era :)

Well said......

Archived