Google confirms new Chrome logo to be rolled out

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

3ybdT.png

Almost two weeks ago, discussions arose in the Neowin forums as to whether Google was planning to change their Google Chrome logo to a more simplistic design.

Well, today it has been announced that indeed they are now going to start pushing the new design and those who have been using the developer builds of Chrome or Chromium should have started to see it pop up. The design overall looks cleaner and seems to follow the Chrome idea of making things simple.

In the statement, posted on Google’s Chrome blog, the general consensus by Google was that a redesign was needed to show the true meaning behind Chrome, in which the new logo “embodies the Chrome spirit — to make the web quicker, lighter, and easier for all.”

There have been several hints that the old logo would soon reach its end, with Google posting numerous advertisement pieces that display a more modern, simplistic logo. Such examples can be seen in the Chrome speed test video and an art piece posted by Mike Lemanski to celebrate Chrome's second birthday.

Although simplistic, the icon redesign was a ‘group effort’ in which they tried many variations and ‘several different contexts’ while keeping other types of media in view, such as print and web.

The real rollout for the logo will come soon with the new beta and stable builds that are said to arrive within the next few weeks.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, the new logo is much, much better. The lameness is in the exaggerated plastic/3D effect of the first logo. A logo should be as simple as possible, symbolic and should look the same when printed or when on screen. There's not one printer alive that could reproduce with fidelity the plastic wrap effect. The new logo has a slight bevel and shadowing which are more than enough, and is obviously worked in a vector editing program like Illustrator, not Photoshop (which shouldn't be used for such stuff).

RadioActive

Actually, the new logo is much, much better. The lameness is in the exaggerated plastic/3D effect of the first logo. A logo should be as simple as possible, symbolic and should look the same when printed or when on screen. There's not one printer alive that could reproduce with fidelity the plastic wrap effect. The new logo has a slight bevel and shadowing which are more than enough, and is obviously worked in a vector editing program like Illustrator, not Photoshop (which shouldn't be used for such stuff).

I completely disagree. But I guess it's a matter of taste.

I completely disagree. But I guess it's a matter of taste.

That;s correct. It is a matter of taste.

I liked the old shiny logo, but this new one isn't that bad when I take a second look at it.

Oh well, I could care less about its logo, since I never really pay that much attention to the logos of browsers :uhoh:

naa , the old one looked cool, and nice ...

the new one kinda gives a retro look ... thumbdown.gif

Lol. I actually expected such comments. I worked many years designing exactly this stuff, for pretty big companies, and I got to collaborate with a few bright minds on this field. We discussed many times how the gloss and effects are valued more than the clean-cut, efficient design (which, by the way, is preached in EVERY book that treats the logo design subject).

Talk with any seasoned logo designer, ask on any specialized forum, and you will get the same response I gave. It is not about the shinies, it is about the efficiency and the clean message and symbolism.

Of course, any designer can only "give advice" to a client, after that s/he must do what the client asks, so if it's the shininess and the glossiness the client wants, then that must be done. I'm proud that the Chrome team actually recognized the value of true design and went by its principles. Just a few have this courage.

Other big enterprises chose to do 2 versions of their logos, one glossy and one "simple", just to avoid the negative feedback from their clients. You can check the nice Joomla! logo if you like, as an example (normal and flat versions).

oh come on people do not fight for the candy, like i do. :lmao:

ps: both of them looks like lolypop to me. :lol: i noticed the logo change when i installed 11 dev beta. it is, it is, it is, like, i already told you nice little lollypop. :lmao:

Personally in my opinion prefer the old one, although new one may take some time and it may grow on me

Boulbol Sabbagh

Lol. I actually expected such comments. I worked many years designing exactly this stuff, for pretty big companies, and I got to collaborate with a few bright minds on this field. We discussed many times how the gloss and effects are valued more than the clean-cut, efficient design (which, by the way, is preached in EVERY book that treats the logo design subject).

Talk with any seasoned logo designer, ask on any specialized forum, and you will get the same response I gave. It is not about the shinies, it is about the efficiency and the clean message and symbolism.

Of course, any designer can only "give advice" to a client, after that s/he must do what the client asks, so if it's the shininess and the glossiness the client wants, then that must be done. I'm proud that the Chrome team actually recognized the value of true design and went by its principles. Just a few have this courage.

Other big enterprises chose to do 2 versions of their logos, one glossy and one "simple", just to avoid the negative feedback from their clients. You can check the nice Joomla! logo if you like, as an example (normal and flat versions).

I didn't like the new logo.. but after these words.. I think I do ^_^

• Administrator

Similar views here. Personally I liked the old one. Yes the new one is like better in artistic way. But in my view, it takes the soul of the logo away.

Similar views here. Personally I liked the old one. Yes the new one is like better in artistic way. But in my view, it takes the soul of the logo away.

Haha maybe that's why I love it! ;D I'm graphic designer and I like when it's clean and simply. New logo has both. :D

DreamHaters

I like it, its got the artistic retro feel to it.

Guess its just personal taste.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived