IE 9 is still the most unsafe browser .

majithia23

just a few minutes back ,

upon clicking on a link on one of the posts in the forum .,

the page was failing to open .

i tried the link in Chrome and in Firefox ,

but the link dint open .

every time upon entering the link in the address bar , the browsers redirected to this page ---

29pvk2x.jpg

that is , both the browsers , suspected malware behavior from the link and stopped the browsing and cautioned ...

and then,,

i thought of trying the link in IE 9 ,

and , as expected--- IE 9 opened up the page ---- " Welcome to Indian PC Mag .. " .....!!!!!!

and then suddenly,,, ESET popped up the message --- " Connection Terminated . " ..

BizD0.jpg?5584

i couldnt help , but smile ,,,

MS puts / advertises IE 9 to be the most advanced , beautiful , fast and secured browser ever .

shear nonsense / crap ......

a link blocked by two other browsers , is easily given access through its ( IE 9 ) interface ,, and then the anti malware suite has to step in to stop what all bullshit the browser is upto ...!!

now ,,,how secure is that ???

Microsoft's claims fall flat ... dont know about the other categories ,

but it still is a useless browser in terms of security ...

it cant even provide simple , secure browsing , leave aside other security aspects .

it still is bad .....

( regarding , the link , ... its been reported to the Mods ... taken care of ... )

• Replies 21
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno.... Avast blocked it before IE even had a chance to open the page... So I didn't have a chance to see that the website was about.

i find ie9 to be blazing fast, beautiful, and secure. blocked 2 malicious .exe downloads before n360 stepped in.

T4C Fantasy

nah you have that in reverse firefox will never be pwnage and go use ie9, especially since this is not a valuable test, who the hell clicks on these links anyways... indian pc mags? so stupid

Opera blocked the site too...

sshot1opt.jpg

IE is unstable?

what else is new? :uhoh:

I signal that starting today IE9 doesn't open the youtube video : perhaps for New 0-day Vulnerability in Adobe Flash Player? Instead Firefox it normally opens the youtube video.

A Google database of reported attack sites against a Microsoft database of reported attack sites. Both Firefox and Chrome poll the Google db to check if the page is safe, the same db, does that mean Firefox and Chrome are equally secure? Microsoft needs to step up their game with their smart screen filter. If IE could make use of Google's database it would detect the same thing. I can't accept that IE is less secure based on this, it isn't a comparison of the browsers. This is only if you enabled the option of sending every url you visit to Google so they could check if it is in their reported attack sites database, it's an option that can be disabled by the user. The option is disabled by default in Iron browser, the site is displayed and NOD32 stops the threat, does this mean Chromium and all its forks are also unsecure? I'm kinda paranoid and prefer to not send every url I visit to Google so I leave the browsing to the web browsers and the virus protection up to the anti-virus programs. I'm glad to see nod32 is doing its job.

In any case the real culprit here is Wordpress yet again. They can't seem to build a secure CMS to save their lives.

The one thing I love about Ie9 is pinning tabs to the taskbar - so I can have one to open all the sports sites i read (nba/si/etc), one for social networking etc and one for forums....

Perhaps the main (only?) feature making ie better than ffox or opera

• Administrator

The one thing I love about Ie9 is pinning tabs to the taskbar - so I can have one to open all the sports sites i read (nba/si/etc), one for social networking etc and one for forums....

Another one is it's Do-Not-Track. But some news about it being flawed. And yeah it's hardware acceleration. But wait, some other news (with many users also saying this) that IE9 is a bit harsh on the system resources. :P

Another one is it's Do-Not-Track. But some news about it being flawed. And yeah it's hardware acceleration. But wait, some other news (with many users also saying this) that IE9 is a bit harsh on the system resources. :P

Yeah true, just checked IE resource usage - a bit high!

With about 12 tabs opened, about a total of 370,000 k mem usage shown in task manager!

However, I must say that browsing is pretty stable. I had to give up on chrome as although fast, once you start hitting really high tab numbers (like I usually do) it can REALLY start eating up RAM and can get pretty unstable.

A Google database of reported attack sites against a Microsoft database of reported attack sites. Both Firefox and Chrome poll the Google db to check if the page is safe, the same db, does that mean Firefox and Chrome are equally secure? Microsoft needs to step up their game with their smart screen filter. If IE could make use of Google's database it would detect the same thing. I can't accept that IE is less secure based on this, it isn't a comparison of the browsers. This is only if you enabled the option of sending every url you visit to Google so they could check if it is in their reported attack sites database, it's an option that can be disabled by the user. The option is disabled by default in Iron browser, the site is displayed and NOD32 stops the threat, does this mean Chromium and all its forks are also unsecure? I'm kinda paranoid and prefer to not send every url I visit to Google so I leave the browsing to the web browsers and the virus protection up to the anti-virus programs. I'm glad to see nod32 is doing its job.

In any case the real culprit here is Wordpress yet again. They can't seem to build a secure CMS to save their lives.

@Leet ,

sounds reasonable . judging the browser ( security) by mere browsing behavior might not be appropriate , but still ......

now , most Geeks are paranoid , and you , me or any one else might not prefer to refer each url to a web server , ,,,

but when we talk of the general net users , the commoner , they are kinda more dumb , forget being a paranoid . i dont think they might even be knowing what referring a url means .....

so , when some one uses a web browser ( some one who is simply " browsing " .. ) , ,,,,

the browser should be able to tell if the addressed url is safe to visit or not .

that's the least we are asking the browser to do , and its the least in terms of security that it should be able to do , esp if it is branded as the 'safest' . a safe browser which ensures visit to only safe browsing links ... simple ... :closedeyes:

now FF or Chrome say they are safe and secure .

and they deliver that . actual safety . open source , constantly updated , plenty of add ons . and phishing and malware protection .

now this phishing and malware protection feature is implemented the way you put it .

constantly monitoring and maintaining a manifest of safe and unsafe web sites and then utilizing that database to deliver/push a secure browsing experience to the end user .

now , this sounds pretty good and practical . for the noob and the geek . :yes:

( ... and no wonder the Chrome developers pride so much upon their codes so well , that they offer a bounty to who so ever is able to hack it . and ---- no one tries or succeeds ...! :) )

and moreover some one of the stature of Google in terms of Internet field is obviously expected to be most up to date in terms what is safe and what is not .

so , i dont think there is any harm using their data to secure your set up ., protect against phishing and bad urls ....

and there are other ways too ,better amd more sturdy , to avoid visiting and block bad hosts and ip's,,, but this is basic, simple and easy .....

( on second hand , there are plenty of FF add ons that help block targeted tracking of a user by Google or by any other web link and which have been tried , tested , improved and developed and not some thing like the IE feature ' Do not track ' ,,, which has already entered the security experts debate topics ... ;) )

and when considering computer security , we can never be too sure .

never know what might blow you up or what might save your a## ....

so if MS says their browser is secure ,

i think they need to show or do some thing that is a visible result . like they can integrate a 'Web Link Advisor' , like WOT or McAfee Site Advisor into the browser ... :think:

i mean , like , you feel good and safe when a browser blocks an address and reports it to be harmful for your system .

its reassuring , esp for the 'common user . ' ^_^

i been trying IE for the past 2 days ,

and its faster than FF but not Chrome .

its good looking

and is stable but heavy on resources ...

but still it dint convince me enough to let go off the feel good factor experienced while on FF , or for that reason on Chrome , and shift to it :) !

FF for me ...

IE 9 for who ever likes it ... :)

ps. -- and yes it felt good , to see ESET pop up an alert after so long ..... !!! :lol: ..

its a good boy ...

I understand what you're saying. I'd say the bottom line is that Microsoft needs to make their smart screen filter better in order to compete. In a perfect world with peace and love it would be great if IE could use the Google malware sites db but we know that ain't happening, lol.

As for shifting browsers, I never view these upgrades as a reason to shift from Firefox. Sure Firefox takes the longest to start up but it's still my favourite so I just minimize it and instead of closing it. :D For simple reasons like the ease of migration of settings and profile with Firefox and the personalised addons that I like to use are why I could never switch. If I have to reinstall windows, I know I could easily copy the Roaming folder with my Firefox profile and everything is safe, with IE and Iron those things are retarded and I don't trust it. You know one time I had iron pinned to the task bar and then I upgraded it but the link on the desktop would bring up a different home page from the link on the taskbar and they both point to the same exe. I can't trust shit like that, lol.

I use 3 browsers on a daily basis though, but for different things. Sometimes I have plenty tabs open on Firefox and I need to search for 1 unrelated thing so I just load IE or Iron and look for it. Most times though my reason for using IE and Iron are to ensure that a website is displaying correctly because firefox hides ugliness and compensates for non standard things like a time a guy called me and told me a picture is not showing up on his site but I insisted that it's working fine and I know I put it up so big argument on the phone and some cussing and what not, only to realise after that the pic he sent me was a 32bit cmyk which shows up in Firefox like normal but IE only supports up to 24bit rgb so that's why I could see it but the guy couldn't. ^_^

On a related note, I installed IE9 last night and I like how it is to be honest. I like the interface. I totally enjoyed trying out those html 5 sites that IE suggests, I tried the one with the National Museum of China, and some interactive story book with jack and the bean stalk. I liked how the museum one displayed the fps, vertical sync was working because it got a steady 60 fps which is good, I assume that one was using gpu acceleration. http://www.beautyoftheweb.com/ I recommend you guys check out some of the urls on that site. Click on "amazing sites" on the top bar. I'm glad that IE seems to be up to speed with the current and future web standards instead of their usual trend of being 5 years behind. The pin to taskbar feature is also very nice, it incorporates a supplied icon so you know what it is instead of a generic IE icon.

On a related note, I installed IE9 last night and I like how it is to be honest. I like the interface. I totally enjoyed trying out those html 5 sites that IE suggests, I tried the one with the National Museum of China, and some interactive story book with jack and the bean stalk. I liked how the museum one displayed the fps, vertical sync was working because it got a steady 60 fps which is good, I assume that one was using gpu acceleration. http://www.beautyoftheweb.com/ I recommend you guys check out some of the urls on that site. Click on "amazing sites" on the top bar. I'm glad that IE seems to be up to speed with the current and future web standards instead of their usual trend of being 5 years behind. The pin to taskbar feature is also very nice, it incorporates a supplied icon so you know what it is instead of a generic IE icon.

Totally agree with You.

I am really surprised from the excellent performances of IE9. Fast in comparison to firefox. It seems to navigate with Opera browser. :dance2:

I understand what you're saying. I'd say the bottom line is that Microsoft needs to make their smart screen filter better in order to compete. In a perfect world with peace and love it would be great if IE could use the Google malware sites db but we know that ain't happening, lol.

As for shifting browsers, I never view these upgrades as a reason to shift from Firefox. Sure Firefox takes the longest to start up but it's still my favourite so I just minimize it and instead of closing it. :D For simple reasons like the ease of migration of settings and profile with Firefox and the personalised addons that I like to use are why I could never switch. If I have to reinstall windows, I know I could easily copy the Roaming folder with my Firefox profile and everything is safe, with IE and Iron those things are retarded and I don't trust it. You know one time I had iron pinned to the task bar and then I upgraded it but the link on the desktop would bring up a different home page from the link on the taskbar and they both point to the same exe. I can't trust shit like that, lol.

I use 3 browsers on a daily basis though, but for different things. Sometimes I have plenty tabs open on Firefox and I need to search for 1 unrelated thing so I just load IE or Iron and look for it. Most times though my reason for using IE and Iron are to ensure that a website is displaying correctly because firefox hides ugliness and compensates for non standard things like a time a guy called me and told me a picture is not showing up on his site but I insisted that it's working fine and I know I put it up so big argument on the phone and some cussing and what not, only to realise after that the pic he sent me was a 32bit cmyk which shows up in Firefox like normal but IE only supports up to 24bit rgb so that's why I could see it but the guy couldn't. ^_^

yes , right ,

i said that before also that regarding the performance fronts , IE 9 has delivered . or is delivering ,, would be better .

it looks great , has a good java engine and the best of all , a great HTML 5 support .

the sites in " beauty of the web " are great .

esp like the Fishtank and the IMDB movie store . :)

it also has this feature where it monitors the start up time of all the plug ins and reports as to which are taking how much time . thats a good one too ...

so ,right now it seems to be doing well and has rightly taken a deserving step in the upcoming browsers scene ..

so long if MS can work up on the security aspects too.... ( who knows they might start an under the table agreement with Google or develop a more respectable security feature ... ;) )

it would then be a definite good one to beat at ....

and yes , its all the Add Ons with FF which make it so reliable and indispensable . or rather addicting , i would say , you name a need , you have an add on to fulfill it ! .... :)

well lets see , how does the final FF 4 fares , 2 days from now ....

:)

Archived