Defragging, what the hell?

elohelomg

So, after cleaning up a computer, i decided to defrag the computer with "perfect disk". I've done it before, and this is the first time i've come across this problem.

When i restarted the computer, it would freeze at the login screen. I have no idea why, or how.

What would be the cause, and how would one go about fixing it?

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, after cleaning up a computer, i decided to defrag the computer with "perfect disk". I've done it before, and this is the first time i've come across this problem.

When i restarted the computer, it would freeze at the login screen. I have no idea why, or how.

Have you tried reinstalling it? :unsure:

Have you tried reinstalling it? :unsure:

I'd be curious how you cleaned up the computer and why ?

If you cant get into windows suddenly .. f8 start in safe mode.. choose last know working restore point.

If you can get it to start in safe mode, run msconfig and try disabling the startup items then restart to normal mode. If it starts in normal mode, enable one by one your startup items until you isolate what is causing it to freeze.

Hope it helps. :)

After a check disk and a system restore, it seems to function somewhat normally, but now im interested as to why this happens.

After a check disk and a system restore, it seems to function somewhat normally, but now im interested as to why this happens.

it was either a virus, or you ran a registry repair program which did more bad than good

it was either a virus, or you ran a registry repair program which did more bad than good

I ended up removing most if not all the viruses with scans from avira, sas, mbam, and kaspersky.

virus is possible, very very slim. registry cleaning apps were never done.

Did you do a boot time defrag? That screwed it up for me. I didn't have the skills to fix it, couldn't get into safemode so did a fresh install. Needed one anyway ;)

Then I moved to Diskeeper :dance2:

Did you do a boot time defrag? That screwed it up for me. I didn't have the skills to fix it, couldn't get into safemode so did a fresh install. Needed one anyway ;)

Then I moved to Diskeeper :dance2:

Problem is, i CANT do a fresh install.

Any other suggestions?

• Administrator

Problem is, i CANT do a fresh install.

Any other suggestions?

sfc /scannow :)

Just did it today on my computer and solved a really pain ikernel error because which I wasn't able to install and uninstall almost a 1/4 of the softwares.

Reason I'm saying this cause I believe somehow somewhere some important files would have been damaged.

Archived