Microsoft uses Japanese disaster to boost Bing

zeon22

microsoft_logo.jpg

Microsoft committed probably one of its worst mistakes since Windows ME. Recently, Microsoft launched a Twitter campaign using the horrific disaster in Japan as a way to boost Bing. Eventually, Microsoft realized they screwed up by doing this and apologized by donating money. But was the damage already done?

On March 12th, Microsoft posted this tweet that said "How you can #SupportJapan - http://binged.it/fEh7iT. For every retweet, @bing will give $1 to Japan quake victims, up to $100K. Try Bing. A new way to search, explore, & decide." Probably one of the most worst ideas ever to capitalize on Japan's disaster by thinking of it as a marketing opportunity.

Microsoft, to its credit, offered an apology. "We apologize the tweet was negatively perceived. Intent was to provide an easy way for people to help Japan. We have donated $100K."

One can also argue that Microsoft was really trying to help out with the disaster relief or that Microsoft was trying to kill two birds with one stone. Not only help with the Japanese disaster relief but also boost its Bing traffic. Why not do both? Perception can be an evil thing sometimes. Many twitter users were outraged.

At least Microsoft donated some of its hard earned money to the disaster relief. But was that enough? Was the damage already done? You be the judge.

Read Orignal Article

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they really wanted to help they could have donated like a billion dollars or more. 100k wont even benefit Japan in a few miles radius!

what the f**k?

people are dying and Microshit plans to turn that into profit?

f**k em'!

and just 100 thousand bucks?....what's that going to buy anyways?

they should hand over 20 billion, cause god knows they have the money.....cheap bastards.

and I haven't read anything about the world's billionaires lifting a finger to help them....That sheik who has 70+ billion euros....wtf is a man supposed to do with that much amount of money?

It's virtually impossible to even spend it all, even if he was trying really, really hard....it won't kill him to give away 20 billions...and the same goes for gates as well.

ROMANTICGUY50

They ought to call them Microstupid for doing.this. How could they even think of doing something like that.

• Administrator

Staff Note: Moved to Technology News.

I believe many Japanese companies (probably including Sony) have donated millions already. Atleast something, unlike M$. -_-

Microsoft, another let down tisk tisk -_-

I believe many Japanese companies (probably including Sony) have donated millions already. Atleast something, unlike M$. -_-

Their main bank donated 133 billion dollars for repairs. It said so on the news.

This must have been a mistake, come on, 100k must be a joke, may be it was 100M which is also a low amount for them, i wouldn't say they should have given more then 10B but anything less than 500M shows up like a joke.

Not sure how it was before, but when i went to News page it says that:

"To help support ongoing relief efforts, Microsoft is making an initial commitment of $2 million, which includes $250,000 in cash as well as in-kind contributions. Microsoft Asia Pacific and US employees may also utilize matching programs that are in place."

Which off course is not a huge joke as before, as i said before, it's still a joke.

Archived