Error in installing SP1 of Windows 7

Ehsan

Hi

I've Windows 7 Ultimate x86 and I was going to update my OS to SP1 by "Windows Update";

I got error after finishing download of update file, so I decided using standalone update by file named "windows6.1-KB976932-x86.exe"

I disabled and closed all my security softwares and ran the file as administrator ;

after a few seconds I got this error:

Installation was not successful

Class not registered

(Details)

Error: REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG(0x80040154)

I ran the file in Safe Mode too and still no success (same error)

I've 2 GB free space in C drive;

What should I do ? :s

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Supremo Phantom

read these, might help ..

Steps to follow before you install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 from the Microsoft Download Center

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2505743

Troubleshoot problems installing a service pack for Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/troubleshootwindows7sp1

you might need to check that you removed all previous beta/RC releases and free up some space.

let me know if you need more help on this.

The problem is going to be the space on your C:\ Drive as well... while extracting files and installing your looking at more disk usage.. when its finished you loose about 1.5 or more GB of space... so that will be an issue..

I had a System which was first installed as Vista , then SP1 over that and SP2 over that.. Then I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate.. after I installed 7 SP1 and accidentally Removed the Service Pack Files in Disk Cleanup .. the OS corrupted ( probably because of glitches left behind from the Vista OS ).. Anyway to make a long story short I installed fresh and then did the SP1.. and with great results.. System performance is way better than it was and it is much cleaner and even a smaller installation... by a little... ( still wrapping all of that up to take of from where I was at beforehand and I am thinking of doing the same to this one.. ).. So IMO.. yo may get better results here from that.. and its been the case in many situation in SP's in the past...

I had a slew of errors after I removed the files and many related to odd registry errors...

The problem is going to be the space on your C:\ Drive as well... while extracting files and installing your looking at more disk usage.. when its finished you loose about 1.5 or more GB of space... so that will be an issue..

I had a System which was first installed as Vista , then SP1 over that and SP2 over that.. Then I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate.. after I installed 7 SP1 and accidentally Removed the Service Pack Files in Disk Cleanup .. the OS corrupted ( probably because of glitches left behind from the Vista OS ).. Anyway to make a long story short I installed fresh and then did the SP1.. and with great results.. System performance is way better than it was and it is much cleaner and even a smaller installation... by a little... ( still wrapping all of that up to take of from where I was at beforehand and I am thinking of doing the same to this one.. ).. So IMO.. yo may get better results here from that.. and its been the case in many situation in SP's in the past...

I had a slew of errors after I removed the files and many related to odd registry errors...

I had to do the same thing - fresh reinstall of win 7 and then install sp1. It fixed the problem, which is kinda frustrating, but not tooo bad.

If you want to avoid that, try running a reg cleaner and then clearing some disk space - 2 gb is really low, after installation you might start bumping into paging file issues too!

Archived