M$ paint alternative

Atasas

Hi guys,

Is there simple frreware alternative to M$ Paint?

All I want is to be able to use same button as Print Screen; crop image; resize; rotate; adjust brightness; color intensiveness; open or save images in different formats- thats it!

Picasa is a bit of bloatware in my books for such task and has too many options, whilst short of some and most importantly customizing button command as for past- impossible, runs big process in background. Infran.. not good either (long story as why)

Thanks!

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

How about Paint.NET? IMO, there are 3 most used image editors out there: Photoshop, Gimp and Paint.NET. And Paint.NET can be called an advanced version of M$ Paint (of course, a lot more than that).

Uh yeah! will try that again! (completely forgotten it) does it understand print screen button tho?

• Administrator

Uh yeah! will try that again! (completely forgotten it) does it understand print screen button tho?

For sure. ;)

Yeah i agree with what DKT27 said, although i personally use Fireworks wherever possible unless i can't do something in it due to being a photoshop only addin that is removed from fireworks :|

RadioActive

How about Paint.NET? IMO, there are 3 most used image editors out there: Photoshop, Gimp and Paint.NET. And Paint.NET can be called an advanced version of M$ Paint (of course, a lot more than that).

Agreed, that is my choice as well.

I had played with it a bit- good! for what I am after!, the only downside is as when I needed it fast- it takes a while to load, unless I have it already open.

I'll have to check my stuff library for older versions, to see if those would be good for installing on win7 and boot up quicker.

Pain.NET was going to be my recommendation as well :)

It is a little slow when starting, but when it's running you'll be on a role in no time :D

It's slow as .NET libraries have to be loaded.

.NET suxxx (with many many more Xs)

I like the ArtIcons GUI very much. It's for icons, but you can also edit any kind of images. But ArtIcons is not freeware.

I'd also like a Paint alternative. XnView has a "Paint" plugin, but it's worse than normal paint in my opinion, some things can't be done and it's much simpler.

RadioActive

Do you even know anything about .NET development to make such a statement? I think not. As I always say, if you got a problem with the .NET platform then I suggest you find a different OS!

Do you even know anything about .NET development to make such a statement? I think not. As I always say, if you got a problem with the .NET platform then I suggest you find a different OS!

I'm not an expert and I actually didn't mention what Jota.Ce did because I didn't want to go off-topic, but it is true that .NET applications are generally slower at startup.

On the other hand I do think it's nice that Microsoft offers a platform for developers like this... (I don't know anything about whether it is 'better' (personal anyways) in terms of actual coding or not.)

I agree with Jot.CE - everything .net- is slow as it is add-on (generalized)

Paint.net- is good app as feature ways, but as we talk about it, I work on little project and keep it open- nonsense, but heck I ended up using M$ Paint to make few screen-shots...

Still open for suggestion of sorta app.

Thanks!

The new Paint in windows 7 has the ribbon! OMG!! --Now prepare to climax... : It also has text overlay too. :w00t:

Photoshop is the best alternative for Paint :yes:

ANY interpreted code is slow, compared with native x86/x64 code. PERIOD!

.NET programming in many hosted laguages is easier, since they offer a "more visual" programming, just as Borland always offered with their VCL. The difference is the target platform. Borland always aimed to Win32, nowadays languages aim to multiplatform-platform, offering different platform binaries, or the worse, interpreted code as Java or .NET, offering an universal binary file for all kind of architecture.

My choice will always be performace. I don't fear to struggle if i'm a programmer, i don't want easy things. I don't need to find a different OS, i simply won't ever install .NET Framework o Java. There are thousand of arguments not to rely on an intrepreted language, and millions to avoid interpreted languages run in different platforms (serious people behind Java project know there are MANY differences betwen platforms you have to finally consider and test, so muti-platform in Java when you need OS capabilities programming is much more complex than Javaheads tend to admit).

Time has demonstrated Java has low influence on Desktop systems. In 1996, Java was to be huge but even 6 years later, Java programs eated all my computer resources. Nowadays, they may be sustainable in speed/resources. But they are only used extensively in enterprises, where you need programs running in different platforms/architectures.

I'd say the same of .NET (but this one has M$ support). Who the hell would buy a Nero(Lite xD).NET, Office.NET, WinRAR.NET or ESET.NET ???

Desktop applications will ever be built under native code.

Poll suggestion: How many real interpreted programs do you have? And how many native code programs? Compare, make a ratio approximation and tell me if it's greater than 5%.

Only my opinion, there's no intention to hurt.

Might want to read this review- PicPick Best Alternative to MS Paint

I have used PicPick for many years for both editing and screenshot captures and it is simple and easy to use even for novice but still is excellent for advanced editors.

Uses very little system resources even when added to your system startup and running it the background. Doesn't require Java or .NET framework. Loads images faster than any program that I have ever tried.

Thanks. :)

I have used PicPick for many years for both editing and screenshot captures and it is simple and easy to use even for novice but still is excellent for advanced editors.

Uses very little system resources even when added to your system startup and running it the background. Doesn't require Java or .NET framework. Loads images faster than any program that I have ever tried.

Looks promising!

will post back as weather it "does comply with my requirement" later as I'm running some long install right now- dont want to interrupt... ^_^

I think I have exactly what you need. How about Photoshop Online? Make an Adobe account, and use the Photoshop Express Editor: http://www.photoshop.com/tools

If you need something more, just get Photoshop Elements. My opinion would be to get the full PS and with this occasion learn some more image editing while you play with it though.

I think I have exactly what you need. How about Photoshop Online? Make an Adobe account, and use the Photoshop Express Editor: http://www.photoshop.com/tools

If you need something more, just get Photoshop Elements. My opinion would be to get the full PS and with this occasion learn some more image editing while you play with it though.

Minor issue Toyo- I hate any overcomertialised manufacturers!, however- will try (looks like tomorrow).

Learning advanced image management- leave it to somebody else!- not meh- waste of time... (most advanced "mastered by me 50%- Gimp) is overkill already

as I said at the beginning I want simple, quick app (as most of all apps, that I do like). might be wrong to some, but me :fool:

Thanks for the ideas none the less!

What about FastStone Image Viewer? Have you tried that? It's free and I think it fits your requirements. It's like a free alternative to ACDSee :)

Yes, Adobe is huge. However, no better alternatives, and Adobe is responsible for advancing this craft for years, so I think it deserves out consideration. Gimp is cool if you don't work for print - if you already know your way around it, stick with it!

PS is fast enough... even on my lowly dual core CS5 works better and faster than any other version.

use IrfanView. it has been my favorite tool to draw/edit picture for years.

Those never been liked by me for some or other reason, thanks for thoughts nevertheless

Absolutely spot on as what I wanted!

Thanks again!

Archived