RAM slots not working

DKT27

• Administrator

Hi guys. As you may know, my one of my RAM and a slot was fried couple of months ago. Well I got a new RAM which was DOA, but then got a replacement today. My motherboard, Asus P7P55D has 4 RAM slots. From which one was fried. I'm currently running it on 2GB RAM stick. Now I was gonna add the new one but now somehow even the rest of the slots (except the current one) are not working. Yes, out of 4 slots, one was fried, and even rest two are not working. Only one is properly operational. I've tried doing everything, tried both the RAMs in all three slots (didn't touch the fried one) but only one of all them is working. When I put a single stick in either two, the computer doesn't beep at all, only the RAM LED is completely ON (indication that RAM is not installed properly). I'm sure I'd installed them properly, tried several times in all the slots to make sure.

Now, is it possible to fix the slots or it's not or it's memory controller is also fried because of the slot? Well, when I bought Asus, my engineer told me they don't offer proper support in here. So I fear if I send it for repair, it would take couple of months (I don't have any other computer here). Or even worse, will have to buy the same thing at the same price. :(

• Replies 24
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

once RAM slots go- never ever use them again (like I should tell you that now)

as you inserted new RAM- you most likely burned bus controller- MOBO- kaput, it could have even burned CPU controller or even CPU

my guesstimate- sorry! salvage what is possible and start from new

@DKT27:

I told you before, either RMA the board or buy a new one. This happened to me before, except the warranty of my board has already expired and it forced me to buy a new one.

DKT, sorry for your board. I know it must be ultra frustrating :( I can only see 2 solutions:

1. Send the board back, RMA its ass. Borrow a computer/MB from somebody temporary. It's the best solution, you will most probably end with a new board, even if it will take a month. Patience is always rewarded - you suffer a little, then enjoy !

2. Get used to it. Buy bigger RAM, 4 GB should be easy enough to find and it will set your i5 on turbo-mode when memory is needed ;)

Make sure you don't let any "professionals" around your mobo. Let ASUS do their thing.

• Administrator

@Atasas: I didn't touch the burned/fried RAM slot again. It's the rest two that seem dead.

@Biz: I guess this one is in warranty.

@toyo: I've used 2 x 2GB thingy for dual channel. And well, the new RAM is already paid for so dunno if I can for a single 4GB stick now.

@desmith: Power was not really a problem. It was because of my mistake.

ANW, Googling shows that Asus has very very bad support here in India. And buying a new MOBO, well, running a bit slack money-wise right now.

I can stay without my computer for 15 days. But not more. :frusty:

Lets see what my engineer has to say. Well, he's busy for next couple of days.

There is a law here that lets you return stuff you buy on the net in 10 days even if it's not defective, without giving any motives. So if you have a retailer in your town, buy on the phone/web, but go to the store to get the merchandise (so you will avoid paying the transport). Can you do that?

This way you can RMA the mobo and "test" a few from some stores and return them :) Of course, borrowing a old laptop or desktop from a friend is better... I have a Sempron 2400+ with 2GB ram and 80 GB HDD standing for nothing, that I plan on converting in a Linux router maybe. I'm 100% sure some of your friends have old systems too, how hard can be for them to let you use their oldie for a few weeks?

Ask your parents too, maybe they have some forgotten box accumulating dust at their job... it would be enough for web business until the real thing can be reassembled.

• Administrator

What to say. Asus has these RMA terms:

If the product is found physical defective or a burnt case, it will be treated as CID (Customer Induced Damage) the product will treat as out of warranty and can be repaired only on chargeable basis directly through the service centre.

I don't have anyone from whom I can borrow one. My parents don't know anything about computers. Well my father did, used to have one at the shop for medicine stats, but then bought it home and I've bought two new ones after that (one gone old, sold and bought another).

From the Users manual it shows that the RAM MUST Be installed in matching SLOTS (i.e. A1 and A2 or B1 and B2) in order to be properly recognized by that MB.

For single Channel Mode use either A1 or B1 (one stick) or A1 and B1 (2 sticks).

It may Not work properly with Only 3 Sticks installed.

Check Page 2-9 in the User manual for Allowed RAM Configurations:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?model=P7P55D&f_name=E4977_P7P55D_V2.zip&f_type=12&os=10

And it would also be in your best interest to check the Memory compatibilty list for that MB:

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=RBA8CzWoopUlYRFZ

@DKT27:

Well, I guess you have to buy a new board. Anyway, just consider this setback as a lesson. There's no point crying over spilled milk ^_^

Just sell your 2 GB stick and buy a new 4 GB, and you're set. When you'll get a new system you'll be changing the mobo also. The dual-channel config is not that cool, maybe you will lose a 5% performance, at the very best.

And yeah, no point thinking at this any longer, just work with what you have and that's it, learn from your mistakes.

Just sell your 2 GB stick and buy a new 4 GB, and you're set. When you'll get a new system you'll be changing the mobo also. The dual-channel config is not that cool, maybe you will lose a 5% performance, at the very best.

And yeah, no point thinking at this any longer, just work with what you have and that's it, learn from your mistakes.

Unfortunate this happened mate, but as many have said i'd do the same as what has been mentioned, best advice :)

• Administrator

I'll think about it. But I don't want to risk anything. There's no guarantee that even the last slot won't fail in future or rest won't do any problems to the MOBO.

Dual channel has about 33% speed improvement over Single channel, I had tested it on Memtest86+. :)

Haha DKT, that means (almost) sh*t in real world scenarios. Are you preocupied with numbers or with real performance? Play/benchmark a game and log the FPS and see. Render something in 3DSMAx, apply 100 filters on PS, compare dual vs single in these real world scenarios.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/PARALLEL-PROCESSING,1705-11.html

• Administrator

I see. I'm less worried about dual channel. Now I'm just concentrating on the MOBO.

Sadly there's nothing you can do, as ASUS is obviously very cautious in such situations, and if the RMA terms you have found are actual, you are stuck with the mobo. Sure you can wait for a miracle solution from this thread, maybe some nuclear scientist knows how to repair the defective slots. But meh, you still have a ass-kicking PC, enjoy it.

There's no way to predict if the last slot will die too, but since it is still alive, I feel it will endure if you keep it safe :)

@DKT27: Maybe there's a way you could clean the burnt ram slot so it's not obvious that it got burnt then RMA it to ASUS and tell them it just suddenly stopped working.

I remembered way back on my first job, a co-worker of mine accidentally inserted an EISA card to a PCI slot of a Compaq Server. The motherboard of the server got fried. :fear: Luckily for him, the server was just a testing server at that time and it's brand new. My boss RMA'd it to our distributor and just told them it just stopped working, and after a few days, they replaced the new server. ;)

• Administrator

The burnt in the slot is not that visible. Only two pins of it are burned. Just for keeps, the pins burnt are [fine pin] [burnt pin] [fine pin] [burnt pin] (come to think of it, I have no idea how this could happen, I mean, one pin in the middle of those two burnt pins, is perfectly fine. :blink:) ANW, and the rest two slots didn't have anything to do with the burnt thingy and are not working.

Thanks to desmith mentioning it, I'm using a normal power strip connector (was about $2-3 when I bought it 5 years ago). But I guess I may go for a $22 odd Surge protector connector.

I really can't live without my computer for two months even if they promise that I'll get a new one or fully repair this one. I'll make proper inquires before making any decision. But nothing can be done for next 36 hours....

• Administrator

Talked to my engineer and have decided that I'll send to him and check it privately. He'll see if it can be fixed. I'll ask him to just look into it before doing anything. And I can't afford a new MOBO atm, so will have to wait couple of months. Too bad, I was planning a LCD TV. :(

Meanwhile, I'm looking into the difference between P7P55D and P7P55D-E.

@Dkt

damn man ....

your new Asus board = Fried !

bad luck mate ... mellow.gif

( second note --- the product was of questionable build or did you messed up ... like overclocking and stuff ... ?)

• Administrator

@Dkt

damn man ....

your new Asus board = Fried !

bad luck mate ... mellow.gif

( second note --- the product was of questionable build or did you messed up ... like overclocking and stuff ... ?)

Cleaned my computer, and after everything done, tried booting it but somehow it didn't beep. Tried 3-4 times. Removed the RAM only to see it's burned.

Tried again yesterday, it doesn't look like solvable. I don't want to send my computer for looking into for next 15-20days, I wanna enjoy FF4. Can't buy a new one for next 3 months either. :(

sounds like bad build quality ..

( ram or mobo )

everything nowadays is spurious make ..

cant trust no brand ..

if in warranty ,try a replacement ....

• Administrator

sounds like bad build quality ..

( ram or mobo )

everything nowadays is spurious make ..

cant trust no brand ..

if in warranty ,try a replacement ....

Their policy says that if the motherboard is burned it's out of warranty and will be repaired at their service centers at a price. But well, I'll give a shot. I'll wait few days and decide it to send it to my engineer and will ask him if he can go to their service center directly... All the time can be saved.

yup..

good luck buddy....

Archived