laptop crashed

myidisbb

vista 64 would NOT shutdown so i had to remove the battery. afterwards it said appcrash when i try to do much of anything on the reboots. would been okay if the restore points where not some how not there anymore.

right now i have the following install.

vista firewall ~~~ using

windows defender ~~ using

norton security suite 60 days ~~~ have not touched (i thing this was the piece of s that cause the problem, ccapp)

what i like to know is good security software to install that uses with vista 64 that is either free, open source, free trial with no date cut off, or stuff that require the winrar special file. please note if it requires a winrar file also. plus maybe the version that was workable with vista 64. i have nsane front page stuff updated to july 1st. so some of the programs i might be ablelto get easy.

i also neeed to know what multi media and other stuff to install please that works with vista 64 now.

i never could get unlocker or a120 to work(with winrar file)

is there a way or opion to make newsleecher store the header data somewhere less in the 3.8 with beta 6 etc? i dont want it on C drive this time. i know i can control the download file part already.

thank you for taking the time to reply back.

also is there a way to make it so i can make multi recovery disk? this one time only thing sucks.

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

little update for those that might have an opinion on stuff.

went with the usually anti virus ~~ nod32 with 2.2 rar file. couldnt find the other. didnt know if it ever was finish.

trying to long wait on the newsleecher headers. i found that i had to keep UAC disable even after using the rar file. that about right for you all? using the good ol "good newsgroup list" from this site. will add others afterwards. i notice over the few months that some no later carry anything in them. using newshosting. hope you all still getting credit for it.

oging to install search and destroy 1.5 13 that was here before. i notice there is a 14 rc version but hard to get with slow download speed. also notice the offical website doesnt link any 15 yet. any opinions on version 1.5 with 13 or 14 rc?

thinking of using spydoctor. any opinions on that one?

havent pick a firewall to use yet.

I gave up downloading headers a long time ago. Aren't you using NZB's at the moment?

If you're looking for something in particular and don't want to register at any particular NZB Indexing Site, NewzLeech is pretty handy.

I've currently made some new guides for the NG section, which is a total overhaul and I've also saved them in PDF format too for anyone who wants to download them (with images of course). I've almost finished the PAR / PAR2 Guide, but there's still a couple more that need to be done. Once they have all be completed, I'll put them all on here all at the same time and remove the old guides as they're very much out of date. I was thinking about just editing the posts, but most of the questions after have been answered in it.

BTW - What good newsgroup list are you referring to? I was looking to do a list of my own as well, so if you could point me to it, would be appreciated.

Oh and if you're one of the people who used our affiliate link to NewsHosting, I thank you. Hopefully, it won't be long until I finish these guides and get some interest going on that side of things.

I don't use SpyDoctor so can't comment on that, but as for firewalls... have you tried Comodo?

Check to see if SpyBot has been posted on Usenet :P

I gave up downloading headers a long time ago. Aren't you using NZB's at the moment?

If you're looking for something in particular and don't want to register at any particular NZB Indexing Site, NewzLeech is pretty handy.

I've currently made some new guides for the NG section, which is a total overhaul and I've also saved them in PDF format too for anyone who wants to download them (with images of course). I've almost finished the PAR / PAR2 Guide, but there's still a couple more that need to be done. Once they have all be completed, I'll put them all on here all at the same time and remove the old guides as they're very much out of date. I was thinking about just editing the posts, but most of the questions after have been answered in it.

BTW - What good newsgroup list are you referring to? I was looking to do a list of my own as well, so if you could point me to it, would be appreciated.

Oh and if you're one of the people who used our affiliate link to NewsHosting, I thank you. Hopefully, it won't be long until I finish these guides and get some interest going on that side of things.

I don't use SpyDoctor so can't comment on that, but as for firewalls... have you tried Comodo?

Check to see if SpyBot has been posted on Usenet :P

nsane posted it long time ago.

http://www.nsaneforums.com/index.php?showtopic=1400

i will read your updated guides later. im off wed over here. (if the internet works)

i prefer getting the headers. you can fun some interesting stuff that way.

i used the nzb for posing here. i use them some of the times. used newssearch a bit to fine stuff and just for the heck of it, ei just to try and learn.

i used comodo firewall on my old computer back home better leaving last year. it was stable. unlike outpost then. i had finally figure out it was outpost crashing my computer so many times. a known bug they said on the website.

i notice comodo now works for vista. i dont know if vista 64 covered. im going to assume it does. i was leaning that way anyway. though i seem to remember comodo didnt like p2p that much :P most likely the settings.

yes i was one of them. shoot, i even donated money when i was already a vip. i pushed newsgroups and the newshosting a few times on my postings too :P just that many people just dont know nor understand newsgroups i guess. my god, at home i figure i could download 100 GB a day. that was base on cable internet of 10MB. p2p lucky to get a GB a day.

i have the 1.5 13rc from here. i notice a 14rc online but the offical homepage doesnt link any of the beta 1.5s. yeah that reminds me i need to grab warez newsgroups too.

was nod32 2.3 rar file ever made?

oh i went with Nero Burning Rom 7.10.1.0. it even allowed me to burn normally and not having to use the dang express all the time.

Archived