One single tree = 14,500 square meters (1.5 hectares)

tysroby

The Great Banyan Tree

great-banyan-tree7%5B2%5D.jpg?imgmax=800

The Great Banyan Tree located in Acharya Jagadish Chandra Bose Indian Botanic Garden, Howrah, near Kolkata, India, is the widest tree in the world in terms of the area of the canopy it covers. It is estimated to be about 200 to 250 years old and occupies an area of about 14,500 square meters (1.5 hectares).

With its large number of aerial roots, the Great Banyan Tree looks more like a forest than an individual tree. The tree now lives without its main trunk, which decayed and was removed in 1925. The circumference of the original trunk was 1.7 m and from the ground was 15.7 m. The present crown of the tree has a circumference of about 1 kilometre and the highest branch rises to about 25 m; it has at present 2880 aerial roots reaching down to the ground.

great-banyan-tree1%5B2%5D.jpg?imgmax=800

great-banyan-tree4%5B2%5D.jpg?imgmax=800

great-banyan-tree6%5B2%5D.jpg?imgmax=800

SOURCE:

- Amusing Planet -

- WikipediA -

• Replies 11
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Yeah I've heard about it. :)

I believe Banyan trees are almost impossible to prune.

After reading this article, i remembered a sci-fi novel I read many years back, when in the far future, the entire planet is covered by one gigantic plant, similar to this tree.

This is the most amazing tree I have ever seen. I never knew things like this existed until now. Wow still amazed that every one of those branches are connected some how. Is there a main root? How does it look if there is one?

This rocks! Never knew this was possible either.

• Administrator
This is how it should look normally. If you guys look at wikipedia, you'll see it has a big importance in the Hindu religion. If I'm not mistaken with another tree, this tree is found near many temples and I've seen one that's said to be more older than 120 years old.

This is the most amazing tree I have ever seen. I never knew things like this existed until now. Wow still amazed that every one of those branches are connected some how. Is there a main root? How does it look if there is one?

"The tree now lives without its main trunk, which decayed and was removed in 1925. The circumference of the original trunk was 1.7 m and from the ground was 15.7 m."

And here is the pic from DKT27's of what the main root of one of these trees looks like.

xWBvb.jpg

• Administrator

Lets hope they don't cut that one down. :fear:

Even if they do, they will never be able stop it from growing more. ^_^

karachidude

thats seriously amazing :o

• 3 weeks later...

oh man, I was let down! Here I thought it was one giant thick trunk....like the enormous one from DBZ (yes I just referenced Dragonball Z)

example:124330.jpg

still....pretty cool

Archived