Which hard drive brand do you prefer to use?

x3r0

Which hard drive brand do you prefer to use (and why - optional)?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Which hard drive brand do you prefer to use?

I personally prefer Hitachi... because it is well-known IBM brand heritage...

• Replies 24
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always WD, the most famous H.D.D brand with the highest quality hard drives, using this brand's products for many years and always happy with that.

over few years I had one gold rule regarding brands of HDD- there are no rules!

Only two makes never failed me personally- Seagate and WD, so kinda sticking to those, but matter of fact, that there are so many re-branding tricks as well, it become more issue of luck, than brand.

• Administrator

I've used Samsung, Seagate and Western Digital till now. I liked them when I used them. But now seeing that things, WD is the better one. So yeah WD. :)

i used WD which suxx i hate WD it troubled me more than 4 times for now i ll prefer samsung or hitachi

Wd & only WD .. :dance2:

Samsung, WD and Seagate are all good. Sometimes you just have bad luck when you get a f*upped item or it fails after a while.

it really matters where you are at in the world. certain places will have certain brands only. just as certain online sites will sale brands and models that might be junk or fakes from our got to love big C.

the key is not to be the first one to buy a new model with its new firmware.

first harddrive to fail 20 GB Maxtor. paid around $250-$280 for it. didnt last for shit. thats when i try to get it replaced. i figure it was best not to because i didnt know what was all on the harddrive. had copy stuff for a couple of others onto it. so i ate the cost and got a 40 GB for less then what the at the time 20 GB cost. it was i think WD.

for shits and giggles here is a link with dead harddrive makers on it

DOA

I prefer Seagate mainly because of its long warranty period. But I also like Western Digital. Although I have had problems with both Seagate and Western before. I found it easier here in our country to RMA Seagate HDDs. In my opinion, even top quality brands (computers/electronics) produce lemons. I just cross my fingers everytime I buy one that I would not get a lemon. :)

Fr.jack hackett

At the montent im on Hitachi's, I have one of their 7.2K 2.5" 16mb cache. Hardly know its their :) storage is a pair of 3.5" 320's (getting a bit full too lol)

Used to favour Samgsungs for teh cool quiteness but these days they no better than others.

Mostly though Hitachi's seem to be a touch cheaper here in the UK.

fifw, of the 3 drive faliures I've had out of, lemme see now... ooh 14 drives that I have used long term in my desk tops all three were samsungs, but then two of the failed drives were the running pair, 'C' + data drive. (the other was nailed by cheap shit psu) That must of had something like 2-3 years on both of them so...

keep them drives fresh people, clone into a new one every 14-18 months for peace of mind.

Only Seagate please , WD can't take the heat (38-45C) where I'm living. Seagate goes on and WD fails after 6 or 8 months.

Western Digital gets the vote from me.

Currently using two WD HDDs: A 320GB Caviar Blue and a 1TB Caviar Black.

PurplebeanZ

Hitachi and Fujitsu for me :)

Want your Hard Drive to last longer? Monitor its temperature with a program like Hard Disk Sentinel and cool it with a fan. The fan can be either an actual HD fan that attaches to the hard drive or a regular system fan in the front of your case that blows air across the hard drive(my preference). My hard drives run between 26 to 30 Celsius. I repair many computers and I find many hard drives running at 45 to 50+ Celsius and even worse some laptops at 55+ when there going bad(killing other system parts with excess heat).

• 4 weeks later...

I personally prefer Hitachi... because it is well-known IBM brand heritage...

+1.

• 8 months later...

Archived