Intel now owns McAfee

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

Companies finalise $8bn merger deal

Intel has finalised its acquisition of security giant McAfee.

The finalisation of the merger comes some six months after Intel first announced that it had agreed to acquire McAfee for £4.9bn. The deal merges the world's largest CPU manufacturer with its second-largest computer security vendor.

In making the acquisition, Intel cited the need to increase the integration of security on the silicon level. The company has said that it will look to integrate McAfee's security products not only into PCs, but also in the embedded computing space.

"Intel has added security as a third pillar of what people demand from their experiences with personal computers and other connected devices," said Renee James, Intel senior vice president and general manager

"The acquisition of McAfee adds not only world-leading security products and technologies to Intel's computing portfolio, but also brings incredibly talented people focused on delivering products and services that help make connecting to the mobile Internet safer and more secure."

Approval of the mega-deal was not always assured. Shortly after the companies announced the merger, regulators in the EU cast a careful eye on the plan and its possible anti-trust implications.

Eventually the merger was approved after Intel agreed that it would not use its position to prevent other vendors from developing security products for its chips.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why McAfee? Why not ESET or Kaspersky? McAfee is a lousy security solution...

agree..

and 11-th in toptenreview!

It doesn't worth 7.68 billion dollars :s :s

Intel is ripped off :D

• Administrator

Even Norton (with ESET, Kaspersky, etc.) would have been a better choice. But I guess Intel wanted a failing but rich company that has a name. :P

That's exactly why, because of McAfee's current lack of competitive advantages puts them in a situation very feasible to sell out to Intel. Meanwhile Intel is getting a great deal by buying an already established brand name and line of products in a new consumer segment.

The only people who know that McAfee sucks are a small percentage of technology enthusiasts like us and others like us, McAfee products ship with millions of OEM computers so that alone targets millions of customers. Intel will make money from this, they might even have plans to improve performance by taking advantage of intel specific cpu instructions on new McAfee products. They obviously must have a plan to increase market share else they would not just throw away money.

Other companies like Norton or ESET won't want to accept a buyout because maybe their corporate goal achievements and profits are acceptable.

Oh I think we should say "IntlAfee" after this, instead of 'McAfee" :D

That's exactly why, because of McAfee's current lack of competitive advantages puts them in a situation very feasible to sell out to Intel. Meanwhile Intel is getting a great deal by buying an already established brand name and line of products in a new consumer segment.

The only people who know that McAfee sucks are a small percentage of technology enthusiasts like us and others like us, McAfee products ship with millions of OEM computers so that alone targets millions of customers. Intel will make money from this, they might even have plans to improve performance by taking advantage of intel specific cpu instructions on new McAfee products. They obviously must have a plan to increase market share else they would not just throw away money.

Other companies like Norton or ESET won't want to accept a buyout because maybe their corporate goal achievements and profits are acceptable.

Sounds about right with what i guessed. :)

karachidude

i copy pasted u word by word at a tracker in response to the same article cause i was in absolute agreement to the text u put,too lazy to put the same in my own words,turns out a guy visits here,and accuses me of plagiarism and compares it to when he was caught cheating in his university..what the frick..know i m in a odd situation there :lmao: :lmao:

T4C Fantasy

i think, pfft, intel should not merge with any security program, thats alot of money, all you need is microsoft security essentials, no drag, no pop ups ever and detects virus's and malware just as good if not better than bitdefender and eset, but then again... pc adept consumers wont ever need a virus protector in the first place ;)

Archived