Birdwatcher catches iconic picture of golden eagle carrying off lamb in its talons

Atasas

Birdwatcher catches iconic picture of golden eagle carrying off lamb in its talons

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2011/02/28/birdwatcher-catches-iconic-picture-of-golden-eagle-carrying-off-lamb-in-its-talons-86908-22955898/

Feb 28 2011 By Craig McDonald

A MAJESTIC golden eagle swoops across a Scottish mountainside - with a young lamb hanging from its talons.

The dramatic scene was snapped by a birdwatcher near Ben More on the Isle of Mull.

golden-eagle-carrying-lamb-190416595.jpg

The photo -grapher - who wishes to remain anonymous - said: "Suddenly this massive eagle swooped into view. We could see it was carrying something beneath it and my wife thought it was a white mountain hare at first.

"As it got closer, I said, 'That's no hare, it's a lamb'. It was a very unusual sight and a bit sad for the lamb - but it's nature and that's what happens. It's certainly a sight neither of us will forget."

Local farmer Donald MacLean said: "This is a hugely significant photo, catching the eagle in the act. It proves eagles are carrying off lambs, evidence that farmers need to make their point."

Crofters in Wester Ross say up to 200 lambs a season are killed by eagles. Dave Sexton of the RSPB admitted: "Eagles do kill small mammals, including lambs. We do not dispute this.

"What this photo does not make clear is whether this eagle has actually killed this lamb.

"They do scavenge and pick up animals which are already dead. It is a very harsh environment here and lambs die for any number of reasons."

WING AND A PREYER

The golden eagle has a wingspan of up to 8f t , weighs up to a stone and can fly at 100mph.

Victorians hunted the birds to extinction - but they were reintroduced to Scotland from Norway in 1975 and there are now 30 breeding pairs.

Special protection areas in northern and western Scotland were set up last year after evidence eagles were being poisoned.

The 850,000 acre sites cover Glen Etive, the Cairngorms and Glen Fyne.

just wow! :wub:

• Replies 1
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful big nasty birds, my favorite bird...;)

The call of the golden eagle... "kee-kee-kee" high-pitched or a high scream or squeal. Birds of BC where I live..

Archived