Do you know the sound of a failing hard drive? Data Cent Does and they recorded them!

majithia23

Hard drive sounds

Check this out and then click through to hear the failing drive sound tracks by hard drive manufacturer and issue. Remember that all drives will eventually fail. It is definitely beneficial to know what a dying hard drive sounds like. You can typically tell you what is wrong with a drive by listening to it. So now is your chance to learn to listen to a hard drive like a pro. And this was a great idea in posting this on website DataCent!

( AskTheAdmin )

DATA CENT

These are some typical sounds we hear in our data recovery lab. If your hard drive makes noises like these and you are still able to access your files - backup immediately.

To listen to the sound simply click on the play button. Click on the drive manufacturer next to the sound button to learn more about common problems these drives experience.

eg--

Western Digital

Western Digital desktop drive with bad heads clunking.

Western Digital 500GB desktop drive with bad heads slowly clicks a few times and spins down.

Listen here --- Hard Drive Sounds

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes, you won't even hear or expect your hard drive failing. That's why it's always a good idea to have a backup ^_^

Nice info. I think I have a Maxtor drive with bad heads, its not my main drive only used for VMs. Can anything be done or is it close to death?

Couldn't find much on the site except for them to repair it for you. I'll take it out and use in a dock thing. Not long ago put it in pc, but it is old.

• Administrator

Nice one. Can be very helpful when you are having problems when you are not able to boot properly. :)

@Dkt

yes...

after hearing the sounds , i could correlate it to one of my dads old desktop's hitachi 40gb drive .

it used to make some funny sounds , and it crashed a lot .

and i and even the computer guy back then ignored them as being normal .

the desktop was eventually dumped ( ....actually ignored .... and then kinda forgotten ... ) ..

@avmad

read this friend --- "These are some typical sounds we hear in our data recovery lab. If your hard drive makes noises like these and you are still able to access your files - backup immediately. "

Archived