Firefox 4 Beta 12 fixes 659 bugs, including big memory leak

DKT27

• Administrator

0ygiU.jpg

Mozilla is out now with Firefox 4 Beta 12 and it fixes a very, very, very long list of bugs.

By my count it fixes at least 659 identified bugs (count 'em yourself if you want..).

The improvements are also non-trivial and deal with stability and performance across the board. There are dozens and dozens of crash fixes for all kinds of things and fixes for really odd flaws too.

Among the *odd* flaws that are now fix are:

626940 Zoom out transition doesn't show if repeats zooming in and out of the same item

635142 <strong> not showing bold text

This Beta also takes very specific aim at improving Flash player and other add-ins stability and performance within Firefox 4.

For me thought there is one fix that stands out about the 658 others and it's one for a memory leak issue which, I know lots and lots of people have complained about, Bugzilla entry 630932, "High memory usage by the JS Engine even with no tabs open for > 12 hours "

That's right, I don't know about you, but that bug hit me hard with Firefox 4 consuming up to 1 GB of RAM at time.

"Firefox memory usage was steadily climbing during a browsing session, but memory wasn't being released upon closing tabs," the bugzilla entry states.

The other HUGE update is a usability one that I am just soo thrilled to have:

Hovering over links now displays the URL at the bottom of the window rather than in the location bar

What was Mozilla thinking putting it up top? In any even that's now resolved and this is already looking like the best release of Firefox 4 yet.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 8
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's right, I don't know about you, but that bug hit me hard with Firefox 4 consuming up to 1 GB of RAM at time.

Indeed. I also observed this on previous Betas. Now, if Mozilla can only resolve the other memory leaks then Firefox 4.0 will be golden ^_^

Indeed. I also observed this on previous Betas. Now, if Mozilla can only resolve the other memory leaks then Firefox 4.0 will be golden ^_^

yes

• Administrator

Firefox 4 Beta 12 Lands; Next stop RC

Mozilla have released Beta 12 of Firefox 4 to their website late last night, and confirmed that it will be the last beta before a Release Candidate is released sometime in March. Mozilla had originally planned to ship Beta 12 earlier this week, and the Release Candidate on the 25th but "hardblocker bugs" had come in the way of those plans.

Mozilla appears to have decided to weigh in on the joke, launching a (presumably) tongue-in-cheek website that counts down the number of bugs standing in the way of a final Firefox 4 release. At the time of writing, there are still 9 ''hard-blockers'', of which 3 require a patch.

Sr. Director of Engineering at Mozilla Corporation, Damon Sicore, posted on Google Groups ahead of the public release: "Yesterday we killed the blocker list, and we're down to 12 remaining bugs open, and only four remain without a patch. We set a goal last week to be done with all of these blockers and to try to be RC ready by today. Due to everyone's hard work, we're there. We've accelerated beta 12 to ship today, and the next step is to squash these few remaining bugs. After this, we're in RC mode, constantly watching the nomination queues for incoming bugs from this last beta."

Of the 686 bugs fixed in Beta 12, the following improvements among others can be viewed below:

Increased performance while viewing Flash content;

Improved plugin compatibility with hardware acceleration enabled;

Hovering over links now displays the URL at the bottom of the window rather than in the location bar; and

General stability, performance, and compatibility improvements.

view.gif View: Original Article

Some information after 30 minutes WWW browsing and closing all tabs

about:memory ::

Memory mapped: 632,291,328

Memory in use: 612,808,572

Maybe I am only one unlucky who is still kicking by memory leakage.... but for me FF4b12 is working in the some way as previous FFb11

Could be cased by something else.. to many over lapping plugins or even the wrong versions.. regardless point being is it is possible that something else is causing the problem.. Have you tried running in Safe Mode with no extensions?

Beta 10 was the only decent update for me. beta 10 was fine no problems at all same as 3.6.

I play a game over facebook that eats/hogs memory... now on 3.6 i can play fine (with the loadin icon going off for like 2 seconds at the top) no freeze or antything.

11 and 12 both have problems with high memory usage.

beta 11 & 12 both face problems with a white "screen screen" and takes a while to come back from loading. This crashes the whole broswer not just the tab.

The game i play is called Godswar - it users a new Player called Kalydo. its basicly there own custom build of flash player i think.

Reading up a little - on 3.6 i can browse and do what ever while playing the game... on beta 11 and beta 12... opening closing tabs = slowdown lag.. and white screens waiting for minutes for the broswer to catch up with its self.

I tried qithout addons and my conclusion is that ADDBLOCK is causing memory leaks problems.

Without this addon memory consumption was always <200MB.

-----

I made short experiment and installed other addblocking addon - AdBan 1.4.3.

I don't see memory leakage with this addon on board of FF4b12 :) Please try and confirm my observations.

Staff Note: Please try to avoid double-posting. Thank you!

I tried qithout addons and my conclusion is that ADDBLOCK is causing memory leaks problems.

Without this addon memory consumption was always <200MB.

-----

I made short experiment and installed other addblocking addon - AdBan 1.4.3.

I don't see memory leakage with this addon on board of FF4b12 :) Please try and confirm my observations.

Staff Note: Please try to avoid double-posting. Thank you!

Gave adban a try - so far so good. Thanks for the tip.

Archived