Help -- How to remove write protection from pen drive .?

majithia23

hello friends ...

well i have this hp v165w 8gb pen drive , and it was working fine ,

when suddenly when i plugged it in yesterday it reported --- " the drive is write protected . "

i dint fiddle with any sharing or security settings and they all are fine .

the drive is in Read Only mode .

and that is it ,

nothing else is being possible to do on it .

i copied it and then tried many hits and trials on removing the protection after searching for help on google .

but , nothing worked .

it still is locked up .

now what to do ..?

Posted Image

Posted Image

thanks ....

• Replies 18
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have run across many settings which pertain to write protecting a flash drive

...and this is informative and may be more related to the issue... http://www.ehow.com/how_6049906_disable-write-protection-flash-drive.html

A write-protected disk will not allow a user to create, modify or delete files on the drive. While the simplest way to disable write-protection on a flash drive is to flip the write-protection switch into "off" position, certain Windows settings can even prevent a user from writing to a flash drive on which write-protection has been manually disabled. To disable write-protection on a Windows system, you must change the "WriteProtect" value in the Windows Registry to "false".

Difficulty: Moderately Easy

Instructions

• Click "Start > Run," or "Start > All Programs > Accessories > Run."
  • Enter "regedit" into the dialogue box, then click "OK" to open Registry Editor. Click "Continue" or enter your password if you are using Windows Vista.
  • Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" folder, then expand "System," "CurrentControlSet," and "Control." Select the "StorageDevicePolicies" folder, located within "Control."
  • Right-click "WriteProtect," located on the right-hand pane. Select "Modify."
  • Change the digit in the DWORD value box to "0". Click "OK." Exit Registry Editor. Remove the flash drive from your PC.
  • Restart your computer to save your changes. Reinsert the drive after your OS has finished booting.

As quoted from: http://www.ehow.com/how_2279014_turn-off-write-protect-flash.html

Instructions

• Insert your chosen flash drive into an available USB port. It is best if you connect it directly to a desktop or laptop computer and not a USB hub. Some hubs make it difficult for the flash drive to work properly. On some occasions the device will be easily accessed, but then it will go into a disconnected state. Since USB hubs are a little temperamental, consider connecting the flash drive to the original source.
  • Click the “Start” menu on your computer and then look for the “My computer” section. Sometimes this icon can be found on the computer desktop. If it does, then just select it from that area instead. Once you open this section, you'll be able to see several icons that represent devices connected to your computer and your computer's hard drive.
  • Select the “Removable Disk” icon in the “My computer” area. Sometimes it is represented by the letter “E," but this mainly depends on your computer system and how many other devices you already have connected to your computer system. No matter what letter your removable drive is represented by, you'll be able to identify it.
  • Locate the disk manager program that came with your flash drive. Most flash drives have this default program included with their installed software applications. It will allow you to create certain settings and properties for the flash drive, instead of just the default. With the disk manager program, you can cause the flash drive to behave in a certain manner every time you plug it into a computer system.
  • Find the option that allows you to turn off the write protect feature. Sometimes it will not be worded this way, but it will still be similar in text. Most flash drives have a write protect feature that can be easily turned on and off. When this feature is turned on, it will stop unwanted applications, programs, or files from being added to the existing flash drive. On rare occasions, there will be a physical switch with the picture of a lock on it. If this is the case, then switch it to different positions to lock and unlock the feature.

End quote.. First result in a search... LOL

NOW.. have seen this happen with some folders and files within Windows before... The wierd thing is that these files and folders will not unhide nor will the Read-Only protection be removed.. Luckily in most cases its a folder.. in which case I have simply removed the contents .. deleted it.. and Made a new one.. I think it is somewhere in the Security settings Possibly even LSP.. BUT this is different from Write Protecting an entire drive.. Usually done as a security concern ... for both the media and the systems.. You my have a look around or search for settings in LSP that pertain to the matter as well..

.. and http://www.ehow.com/how_5028703_change-writeprotect-flash-drive.html

I have run across many settings which pertain to write protecting a flash drive

...and this is informative and may be more related to the issue... http://www.ehow.com/...lash-drive.html

A write-protected disk will not allow a user to create, modify or delete files on the drive. While the simplest way to disable write-protection on a flash drive is to flip the write-protection switch into "off" position, certain Windows settings can even prevent a user from writing to a flash drive on which write-protection has been manually disabled. To disable write-protection on a Windows system, you must change the "WriteProtect" value in the Windows Registry to "false".

Difficulty: Moderately Easy

Instructions

• Click "Start > Run," or "Start > All Programs > Accessories > Run."
  • Enter "regedit" into the dialogue box, then click "OK" to open Registry Editor. Click "Continue" or enter your password if you are using Windows Vista.
  • Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" folder, then expand "System," "CurrentControlSet," and "Control." Select the "StorageDevicePolicies" folder, located within "Control."
  • Right-click "WriteProtect," located on the right-hand pane. Select "Modify."
  • Change the digit in the DWORD value box to "0". Click "OK." Exit Registry Editor. Remove the flash drive from your PC.
  • Restart your computer to save your changes. Reinsert the drive after your OS has finished booting.

As quoted from: http://www.ehow.com/...tect-flash.html

Instructions

• Insert your chosen flash drive into an available USB port. It is best if you connect it directly to a desktop or laptop computer and not a USB hub. Some hubs make it difficult for the flash drive to work properly. On some occasions the device will be easily accessed, but then it will go into a disconnected state. Since USB hubs are a little temperamental, consider connecting the flash drive to the original source.
  • Click the "Start" menu on your computer and then look for the "My computer" section. Sometimes this icon can be found on the computer desktop. If it does, then just select it from that area instead. Once you open this section, you'll be able to see several icons that represent devices connected to your computer and your computer's hard drive.
  • Select the "Removable Disk" icon in the "My computer" area. Sometimes it is represented by the letter "E," but this mainly depends on your computer system and how many other devices you already have connected to your computer system. No matter what letter your removable drive is represented by, you'll be able to identify it.
  • Locate the disk manager program that came with your flash drive. Most flash drives have this default program included with their installed software applications. It will allow you to create certain settings and properties for the flash drive, instead of just the default. With the disk manager program, you can cause the flash drive to behave in a certain manner every time you plug it into a computer system.
  • Find the option that allows you to turn off the write protect feature. Sometimes it will not be worded this way, but it will still be similar in text. Most flash drives have a write protect feature that can be easily turned on and off. When this feature is turned on, it will stop unwanted applications, programs, or files from being added to the existing flash drive. On rare occasions, there will be a physical switch with the picture of a lock on it. If this is the case, then switch it to different positions to lock and unlock the feature.

End quote.. First result in a search... LOL

NOW.. have seen this happen with some folders and files within Windows before... The wierd thing is that these files and folders will not unhide nor will the Read-Only protection be removed.. Luckily in most cases its a folder.. in which case I have simply removed the contents .. deleted it.. and Made a new one.. I think it is somewhere in the Security settings Possibly even LSP.. BUT this is different from Write Protecting an entire drive.. Usually done as a security concern ... for both the media and the systems.. You my have a look around or search for settings in LSP that pertain to the matter as well..

.. and http://www.ehow.com/...lash-drive.html

yes heath ,

did that man .

i already did modify the registry values .

rebooted , but no success .

tried it in safe mode too .

nothing .

tried hp disc format tool and one low level format tool .

but they couldnt do anything .

then tried formatting it through cmd , but still it said -- cannot format . the disk is write protected .

could the pen drive be busted , i mean - corrupted .?

if it were , then the computer should not be able to even detect the drive . !

it detects it , and i can read the contents of it but ,, that is all ...

any thing else if tried , it just pops up -- the drive is write protected ..

what say ...

.. well if your sure you don't have any security settings for USB.. the next thing would attempt is an a shredding of the entire partition from Hirens.. Possibly this may be able to fix it...

Have you tried to Take Ownership of the Files?.. can you even access the files? You can copy these with the Unstoppable Copier on Hirens as well.. so you don't lose w/e is on it.. Other than these suggestions .. I would say to destroy it beyond use.. and get another one.. You could also take it part and see if you can see anything wrong with it.. and keep in mind that though the read/write cycles are higher in these drives... They too go bad.. so.. may simply be its time.. hard to believe though.. even mine is still working.. LOL

You didn't copy anything encrypted to it.. or anything have you?

.. well if your sure you don't have any security settings for USB.. the next thing would attempt is an a shredding of the entire partition from Hirens.. Possibly this may be able to fix it...

Have you tried to Take Ownership of the Files?.. can you even access the files? You can copy these with the Unstoppable Copier on Hirens as well.. so you don't lose w/e is on it.. Other than these suggestions .. I would say to destroy it beyond use.. and get another one.. You could also take it part and see if you can see anything wrong with it.. and keep in mind that though the read/write cycles are higher in these drives... They too go bad.. so.. may simply be its time.. hard to believe though.. even mine is still working.. LOL

You didn't copy anything encrypted to it.. or anything have you?

shredding of entire partition from Hiren's ....

what tool in Hirens's ?

i dint encrypt any file on it .

and as i told you , i have already backed up the data .

all you can do in the drive is READ n only READ ...

nothing else ...

and for taking ownership ... well there is no option in the file properties of any file ...

plug the drive and just read the contents ....

wtf !!!

any other ideas ?

( again this is an hp product ... damn the company ......)

I had similar one while ago- whatever I tried- nothing was helping, until I tried G-Parted- and reformatted it.

You should be able to shred the partition with any of the Security and Privacy Tools from the HBCD Men in the tray from MiniXP.. BUT remembering something.. this may not necessarily be the option.. what you would be trying to get to is shredding not just the drives and overwriting.. but also the ' BootSector ' files... and this woudl depend on the filesystem.. as well.. I think.. not for sure without digging into it first hand.. but any tool on HBCD that you can find that will shred the drive/Partition and all accompanying data should/could work... ( I though this thing was a hasp key the first time I looked at it... )

May wanna try Atasas's solution as well... first.. and see if you can reformat the disk with another tool and have it work.. Otherwise I would cut my losses and move on..

I had similar one while ago- whatever I tried- nothing was helping, until I tried G-Parted- and reformatted it.

You should be able to shred the partition with any of the Security and Privacy Tools from the HBCD Men in the tray from MiniXP.. BUT remembering something.. this may not necessarily be the option.. what you would be trying to get to is shredding not just the drives and overwriting.. but also the ' BootSector ' files... and this woudl depend on the filesystem.. as well.. I think.. not for sure without digging into it first hand.. but any tool on HBCD that you can find that will shred the drive/Partition and all accompanying data should/could work... ( I though this thing was a hasp key the first time I looked at it... )

May wanna try Atasas's solution as well... first.. and see if you can reformat the disk with another tool and have it work.. Otherwise I would cut my losses and move on..

just downloaded Gparted and tried deleting and reformatting the drive with it .

result == Failed ..!

i think the drive is dead meat now ...

gonna crush it under my bikes tires 2mrrw morning ...:angry:

It is some boot lock or else issue (I guess) and I hope it works ! B)

naa ,

Gparted dint work man .

and dint get this -- boot lock issue on drive

the computer is reading the drive , but is unable to do any thing else ..

dont know what is screwed or what exactly the problem is ?

Bike tires.. that is like playing around with.. flirting with the drive and 5h17.. :rolleyes: .. Concrete surface and a 10lb. Sledgehammer.. usually how I dispose of my phones.. until the chips have been destroyed completely... Smash until its all destroyed chips are warping off the small board or otherwise sandy... LOL Then repeat...

you are 100% sure it is drive so- not your PC?

can you test on any other?

yup tried it on two other pc's too .

same stupid and irritating message -- the drive is write protected .!

would it be worth giving any tool in Hirens cd any try ?

if linux, cant change file system etc- hardly...

can do still- no harm, just cant think as which tool out of Hirens would be that much better...

Bike tires.. that is like playing around with.. flirting with the drive and 5h17.. :rolleyes: .. Concrete surface and a 10lb. Sledgehammer.. usually how I dispose of my phones.. until the chips have been destroyed completely... Smash until its all destroyed chips are warping off the small board or otherwise sandy... LOL Then repeat...

Bike tires.. that is like playing around with...... lol...

i figured even more torturing end for the dumb chip .

i got a friend working in chemical lab ..

gonna get a bottle of concentrated sulphuric acids and make the silicon chip taste it drop by drop ...!!! :sneaky:

• Administrator

It looks to me that you are not the only one having this problem. People using the same HP model, that are also from India, are having the same problem. If its in warranty, you may wanna go to the shop and ask them to repair it.

It looks to me that you are not the only one having this problem. People using the same HP model, that are also from India, are having the same problem. If its in warranty, you may wanna go to the shop and ask them to repair it.

dont know friend ...

u know of some one with the same failed drive model ..?

actually ,,i have two of these drives .( my brother got the second one and he dint know i had the same model . )

the second one is working fine , and its older than this one ..

and i know the drive is under warranty but i have lost its invoice ..

and those f#$%ng morons wouldnt do any thing without it .

HP is crap now .

bullshit company and wasted products .

my laptop also an HP has a fried ( later refurbished ) graphic card ...

• 1 year later...
visualbuffs

hello friends ...

well i have this hp v165w 8gb pen drive , and it was working fine ,

when suddenly when i plugged it in yesterday it reported --- " the drive is write protected . "

i dint fiddle with any sharing or security settings and they all are fine .

the drive is in Read Only mode .

and that is it ,

nothing else is being possible to do on it .

i copied it and then tried many hits and trials on removing the protection after searching for help on google .

but , nothing worked .

it still is locked up .

now what to do ..?

Posted Image

Posted Image

thanks ....

majithia23

@visualbuffs

thanks for the heads up man ,.,

although i got this drive replaced under Warranty , but the tutorial might come in handy some time !

Archived