First look at Firefox 5

DKT27

• Administrator

Firefox 4 isn't even out of beta yet, but that doesn't stop the UI team from thinking about Firefox 5.

ConcievablyTech uncovered mock-ups posted by the Mozilla UI team that show the possible UI for Firefox 5.

Here's what we have (click for larger images).

Search field changes:

77r8J.png

Site-specific browsers:

NuOVB.png

Promotion of Firefox Sync:

vkyGz.png

Add-on Selection:

Ru0yz.png

Firefox 5, which is scheduled to be released by the end of the first half of this year, is already in development and may get dramatic UI modifications that reach beyond a simple “chromification”. According to the UI team notes, the browser interface is planned to be more responsive, there will be an updated URL bar (with a width of 240 pixels) and there will be substantial changes to the appearance and use of tabs.

First mockups show that Mozilla is thinking about what it calls a site-specific browser, which will dedicate tabs to specific sites, which will integrate a navigation menu and site links within a site tab. For example, a visit to Twitter would automatically integrate features such as new tweet, search or direct messages within the site tab. This is the first example where we see Mozilla attempting to deal with web applications, where it actually turns websites into apps, while the web browser remains the dominant access and visualization platform. The typical Windows shortcut to a website is also changed into an actual application icon.

view.gif View: Original Article + Original Article (2)

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

buttons from opera... UI FAIL! lol all browsers copy certain elements from eachother

• Administrator

This "App tab" feature is going to be great IMO. Yes they stole the "Firefox" button from Opera, but now they are carrying it forward. :)

I honestly have always thought the Firefox button was crap as it adds to the space taken up by the UI.. I actually hide all of that stuff in 3.. Hopefully I can do the same for 4.. and so on..

This "App tab" feature is going to be great IMO.

Yes, I agree! I think it was a neat idea. The ONLY thing that I wish they'd thought about, is allowing the user to choose which side of the browser to have them docked. I'm a lefty, and so, having them docked on the left side makes me feel "claustrophobic" in some crazy way... can't really explain it. :s

• Administrator

This "App tab" feature is going to be great IMO.

Yes, I agree! I think it was a neat idea. The ONLY thing that I wish they'd thought about, is allowing the user to choose which side of the browser to have them docked. I'm a lefty, and so, having them docked on the left side makes me feel "claustrophobic" in some crazy way... can't really explain it. :s

Good point. I'm sure many would will ask for it. So yeah, fingers crossed that they implement the App Tabs, make it even better and support what users ask for. Otherwise, as Biz mentioned, you can still customize it. :)

Archived