imac microphones dead?

elohelomg

I have a imac, and recently (after replacing the hard drive), the microphone seems to have been gone. i was worried i might have disconnected something, but all seems to be fine, but the mic still doesn't work. The camera on it works seamlessly, but in system preferences, the input and output stuff is there, but when i talk into the mic, nothing.

nothing seems to work. any ideas guys?

• Replies 4
  • Views 966
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you running Windows 7 on it or MacOSX? I did find quite a few Support Downloads and Updates for the iMac at the site... Windows 7 I could help you with but MacOSX is going to be a little shady... :P

There is an update for the drivers for Windows 7 to be run on the iMac... and several other Firmware updates and assorted others... http://support.apple.com/downloads/#imac

EDIT: Also found this but it was too funny to paste in.. :lmao:

To increase the volume of an imac, you have to push the button of raise sound on the keyboard. That is on the top row. 2nd button from the left to right side.

...and it is supposed to be related to low mic level/no response...

Also on that note if you have any of the inputs done wrong and have no adjusted the out put for the mic correctly then you might have the same problem..

" Try opening an app in your utilities folder called Audio MIDI Setup and there under the "Audio Devices" tab, change the Audio Input to "Line In" "

IMHO, you should check with Mac OSX first to see if the mic is working with the native OS. If it does, then it's a software problem and can be resolved merely by updating the relevant drivers.

If it's not working with Mac OSX, then it probably is faulty hardware. But still, there might be a fix through replacement.

IMHO, you should check with Mac OSX first to see if the mic is working with the native OS. If it does, then it's a software problem and can be resolved merely by updating the relevant drivers.

If it's not working with Mac OSX, then it probably is faulty hardware. But still, there might be a fix through replacement.

Turns out, the owner opened the case up himself and ripped it up. Not kidding. The wire was torn in half through the middle, and ther ewas absolutly no connection to the mic. I saudered it together, and now, all is well.

:thumbsup: Yeah.. just like wondering why the PC doesn't boot because you forgot to plug it in.. But it helps to be able to know/understand these things.. LOL :lmao:

Archived