Nokia adopts Windows Phone 7, Symbian out

nsane.forums

lyIs1.jpg

Nokia has finally come forward and stated that they will be adopting Windows Phone 7 and will be dropping Symbian for their smartphone platforms. The news has been rumored for some time but was finally made official this morning.

The image posted above shows Nokia's plan to rid itself of Symbian and take on the newest OS on the market, Windows Phone 7. Nokia has been struggling to keep it's head above water, so its choice to dump Symbian in favor of Windows Phone 7 is arguably a last ditch effort to become competitive in the high end marketplace.

The move for Microsoft represents a huge victory as Nokia still has a strong brand reputation despite its fledging sales. If Nokia is able to push the platform, it will also help Microsoft in its conquest for its platform to become a major player in the mobile operating system market.

The move seems logical as the Symbian platform has seen its ship sail. The platform, that was once a dominant player in the industry, has failed to adapt and develop a modern ecosystem that is necessary for prosperity and growth.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I guess it marks the end for Symbian. And the smartphone OS wars gets hotter. Being a person who prefers Nokia over anything else, I would have liked if Nokia would have chosen Android. Now I will have to look for another brand...

• 4 weeks later...

Guys you've got a point.. But I don't think that Symbian is dead as of now... There are still 150 million symbian based devices to be shipped, which is double the number of devices in the market at present.... So it isn't dead yet.. What I think its just another platform that Nokia is adding to their OS family... See what 3rd party developers have to say about this:

I guess it marks the end for Symbian. And the smartphone OS wars gets hotter. Being a person who prefers Nokia over anything else, I would have liked if Nokia would have chosen Android. Now I will have to look for another brand...

I don't think it makes sense for Nokia to go with Android. That market is far too crowded with most of the differentiation being the OEMs making the software worse. With most of the WP7 hardware being relatively boring, Nokia is capable of differentiating itself from the other OEMs just through their hardware. However, Microsoft is giving Nokia the ability to customize WP7, which is something that HTC has made it clear they want. I think Microsoft ends up gaining more from this deal, through Nokia's distribution and support throughout the rest of the world.

Check this to see what all Nokia is planning to come up with WP7 and also what's in store for developers: http://www.forum.nokia.com/nokia-microsoft.xhtml

Archived