FTP Server/Client help

elohelomg

Hey guys, i was wanting to setup a ftp server, but sorta kinda with a hitch. I usually bounce around updating peoples computers and what not, and, i hate constantly having to manually download something all the time. So, i was wondering if it was possible to setup a ftp server, to automatically downlaod the latest version of lets say firefox, flash, java and what not, and then let me download it form my ftp server?

It would be a massive help, but, im not well versed in ftp servers, so, if yo can guide me as to which one is the easiest and fastest (im thinking filezilla), i'll do a bit a research on my own. I just need to be able to have the ftp server download the latest versions of the file. not me having to update it myself. is it possible?

• Replies 4
  • Views 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well.. the first consideration of something like this is going to be your upload speed on the machine and maintaining your own archive.. if these systems are from/on your own network then I would say for definitely .. download it once and be done.. by connecting to the main system.. is what I do on mine.. I have it to where I can do it from both... that way I can be anywhere and get everything at faster speeds than downloading.. Before that I kept a Flash Drive which I can take between the two.. BUT I used CNET Tech Tracker ( sort of a help ) to setup an account for each machine so that I could use it as a reference for which downloads ( programs names usually ) I needed to load up on the USB... as well as by what I was updating on mine..

Now the reason I said your upload speed would matter is that while you can download at say 1537 kbps from a Mozilla Server...you may only be able to download at 537 kbps from yours at home.. if your across town or not physically present with a connection to your Home Network.. I mean I can upwards of 2 MBps on my home network machine to machine ( it usually ramps up slowly to that would be better with newer hardware ) .. which is faster than my Internet Service cap.. so like downloading from your server would actually take longer.. and you will still have to maintain an archive.. but just the one...

Next point is file repository aspects of maintaining the latest versions and having it do so automatically.. problem that can exist with this is that when a company changes versions.. there is a new directory and file created.. sometimes with differences that would break automation.. Plus you have the problem with a program being smart enough to actually know when a program has been updated..

I prefer Titan FTP for server ... Very robust and with great options.. security features and great control over shaping how it operates and for locking down access to others.. Best portable/client would be FireFTP for FF if you have it installed as a portable version..

Archived