Is there active bookmark manager?

Atasas

Hi guys, wanna "pick your brains" again!

Using Opera as main browser (dont matter as I can save them as html / or adr or else "favorite" format.

Been tidying my PC and got need to check as weather /which Links are dead if to delete them. Attempted manually, but heck its 5.2 k bookmarks and I would say 20% are dead links or simply non existent and attempts open page like "site is for sale". Some are double named with couple of similar addresses.

Hope, I'm clear as what I need , anybody would have an idea for some sort automated checker?

• Replies 16
  • Views 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope... Wish I did know .. I had about 1 MB of bookmarks at one point in time.. and I had to do this manually and at times I still have to remove them... The only extension I have ever run across that helps with something LIKE this is Bookmark Duplicate Detector.. which isn't even current for FF 3... and it only helps with duplicated Bookmarks... which sometimes is a huge help especially the first time around... and for maintenance...

will be on the lookout for one and watching this thread.. that would be nice... I think this would be particularly hard to pull off as most things ( or it would seem sensible ) can tell if you get a connection or not.. BUT it can't read the page and tell you if its the site you were intending to go to.. AND I have yet to ever find one that can just remove dead sites that have a response...

Back to the good old hard way.. LOL..

yup

yup

and yup... hope you where wrong! hope at least ones, that simply dead addresses would get noted or something.

Spent about 3hrs last night- only surface scratched

yup again, will keep eyes open,

Try this. seems to be interesting.. worth a try though.. Let me know how good it is.. :P

https://addons.mozil...link-evaluator/

https://addons.mozil...on/checkplaces/

1'st one is old, even when old FF reinstalled, it re'updated and rejected add on, without update available... well it is- the second one, you posted.

will let you know in a bit!

OK

seriously need to be remembered- bookmarked! :dance2:

basically done a "rush job"- left with 1.3k of bookmarks and it appears to be that most of important are there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

might be some issues (I'm sure there is), but I will consider weather I will do a propper job on it, just like it as it is.

The only downside is Ctrl button dont work , else its a Jem!

rest import/ export between different browsers- piece of cake

Been doing some scanning and settings checks with it.. did verify and delete about 20 pages... Seems pretty good IMO.. Still testing myself though.. Odd I get about 230 something errors.. at first I excluded them.. it had something to do with a response error.. but I am rescanning and checking again... See if some adjustment won't help.. ( good way to remove crappy loading sites.. with BS - LOL ) :P

EDIT: Seems to be excellent.. and I might add that the only issue I seen was in the Other errors section.. However on the second try every one of them were dead -connection denied ... I give it a :thumbsup: :D Adding it to my Collection as we speak and getting rid of the Duplicate Bookmarks Detector.. This one is much better..

Dude, before I started last night I had 5.2 k...

today worked with about probably 4 k , to be left with 1.3- laughing!

Thanks once again!

Quite a few Bookmarks.. I haven't check the size of mine yet.. but about to do a Backup though.. with FEBE.. and OPIE.. I think its about 200-300 K though...

Glad to have been of help.. to you and me BOTH..:lmao: :D

I meant bookmarks number, not size

~4000

and now fairly manageable :D 1.300!

surely will be able to post few more on nSane now as before hand I was looking for a needle in haystack... even less productive, that Google.

BTW Tip- try organizing what you got in Opera as in separate folders. IE

Emails and accounts;

Forums

Warez

etc etc

GRRR!!!! :rant:

Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE) [nsINavBookmarksService.removeItem]" nsresult: "0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://checkplaces/content/results.js :: anonymous :: line 1153" data: no]

changes didnt get applied...

The First time I ran mine thats what it did but I had made no changes... after that everything seemed fine.. and I had made changes each time.. didn't seem to make any difference on mine..

Thats quite a few more bookmarks than I thought you had.. LOL I have like 600 or so... and it is down to 126 KB..

I'm just back... basicly one of the bottom option was the reason for error

Now down to 1034 in 12 folders and two of them got few more subfolders. Finished(semi) work using Opera still, but majority of links where sorted by ad-on.

Bit of fresh air! :D

about numbers:

it is my 7 years of computing and never being 100% organized. did back up earlier days a bit more, but then after occasional complete PC crash or just forgotten and having rebuilding sys. end up dowloading all sorts of old files and never filtering them properly...

will do not bookmark every semi-important page in future... or will and use the add-on :P

still, after waisting about 6 hrs today+ 3-4 hrs last night it is something to be pleased about!

Hope, I'm clear as what I need , anybody would have an idea for some sort automated checker?

AM-Deadlink sounds like a good match. All major browsers are supported.

AM-DeadLink detects dead links and duplicates in browser bookmarks and text files. If a bookmark has become unavailable you can verify and delete it permanently. Additionally you can download FavIcons for all your Favorites and Bookmarks.

AM-DeadLink is Freeware!

PS

I'm really hesitant adding new bookmarks in my browser. Started out with 175. AM-Deadlink found one dupe + 2 dead links. I'm at 172 bookmarks now :)

@ Jallafa, just tried it lot lesser functionality in comparison... that addon is better, :D

With such numbers you two- export them in to Opera and do a bit of sorting out your-selfs... TIP- create folders, then drag and drop thing about, once done- reimport in to browser of your choice

• Administrator

Outstanding find jalaffa. :thumbsup:

@Atasas: Just try it. It works great. It lists all the links in it's own window, then pressing a button checks all the links. Supports IE, FF, Opera and Chrome bookmarks. Not to forget, it can also scan folders for links and then check them.

I used to sync my Bookmarks but not anymore.. one copy and thats it... but do to other things I can access it from Thailand if need be.. :P Along with everything else..

Looks like a great program jalaffa.. Will check it out..

Archived