Firefox 4.0, 5.0, 6.0 and 7.0 to Release in 2011

nsane.forums

1FfAi.png

Mozilla has a new plan for Firefox in 2011: Turn the crank faster.

The organization is set to deliver Firefox 4 in coming weeks. And according to a draft Firefox roadmap, Mike Beltzner, Mozilla's director of Firefox, proposed releasing versions 5, 6, and 7 in 2011, too. This fast-release ethos, pioneered in the browser world by Google's Chrome, means smaller changes arrive more frequently.

For comparison, Firefox 1 arrived in 2004, Firefox 2 in 2006, Firefox 3 in 2008, with Firefox 4 slipping past a hoped-for 2010 ship date and likely to slip past another date set for the end of February.

The faster schedule is designed to make Firefox more competitive by getting new features into users' hands faster. According to Beltzner:

We succeeded in re-energizing the browser market, creating competition and innovation which benefits Web application developers and users alike. This newly competitive market has presented challenges for the continued success of Firefox, and in 2011 we must ensure that we can deliver a product that is compelling to users in order to continue to be able to demonstrate our vision for the Web. To do this we must:

• provide a browser that is stable and responsive,

• build a product for modern desktop and mobile hardware,

• provide a simple set of features and experiences to help users get the most out of the Web,

• support Web technologies that are desired most by application developers and users,

• deliver those technology improvements quickly to our user base.

It's not easy turning the crank faster, though.

"Changing the way we ship products will require the re-evaluation of many assumptions and a large shift in the way we think about the size of a 'major' release," Beltzner said. "The criteria for inclusion should be no regressions [new bugs], well understood effects for users, and completion in time for a planned release vehicle."

Firefox's share of worldwide browser usage has remained largely flat, with Chrome and Safari steadily picking up usage in recent months. Chrome, which often serves as a vehicle for Google to promote favored new technologies, moved last year from a quarterly release cycle to an even faster one with twice that pace.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

If people want new version of browsers fast, they will get it fast. :frusty:

It's bad, but seriously, I would have been Mozilla director, I would have done the same thing. Firefox maybe loosing to Chrome in the name of taking time to release new versions. Users want new versions to release soon? So be it. -_-

Just as long as I am not updating every week and the extensions can keep up... I will be fine.. but thats is one of my concerns at the same time it sounds like a great idea to start cleaning up small problems sooner.. Just hope that they still take the necessary steps and stay thorough as they have been.. instead of making changes that are not even bugs that investigated properly... but yeah.. sounds like a good thing...

• Administrator

Gone are the days when users had to wait as much as a year between major iterations of Firefox. Mozilla is planning to release no less than 4 new versions of its open source browser by the end of this year.

Firefox 4.0, Firefox 5.0, Firefox 6.0 and Firefox 7.0 will all ship in 2011, the open source browser vendor confirmed.

Mozilla intends to radically overhaul its release cycle for Firefox per the Google Chrome model. The current pace at which new Firefox releases are offered to users will accelerate dramatically this year, following the launch of Firefox 4.0.

Among Mozilla's Product Priorities for 2011, Mike Beltzner, Director of Firefox put "Ship our new technology to users in smaller bundles, more frequently" at no. 1, adding that the browser vendor needs to push "four technology shipment vehicles in 2011, including Firefox 4 and achieve a regular cadence for shipping."

Mozilla is still hard at work on Firefox 4.0, for which it will deliver Beta 11 later this week, then Beta 12, moving to the Release Candidate development phase after that.

"Changing the way we ship products will require the re-evaluation of many assumptions and a large shift in the way we think about the size of a "major" release.

"The criteria for inclusion should be no regressions, well understood effects for users, and completion in time for a planned release vehicle," Beltzner stated.

With an accelerate release pace for new versions of Firefox, users will be able to enjoy new features more rapidly, as opposite to waiting for as much as an entire year.

The plan is for Firefox 5.0 to sport an Account Manager, Simple Sharing UI and UI Animation for example, but also expanded support beyond 32-bit Windows.

Firefox 6.0 will deliver JavaScript optimizations, Web Applications and FasterCache. And Firefox 7.0 is yet to take form, but undoubtedly the project is still contouring.

What do you think? Are you excited to get Firefox 4.0, Firefox 5.0, Firefox 6.0 and Firefox 7.0 in 2011? Do you believe that Mozilla's move is a right one?

view.gif View: Original Article

I hoped this is a joke. The current pace is perfect. 4,5,6,7 in one year? Maybe, if they steal the devs from Opera, Safari and Chrome. Or maybe they'll just rename some Betas to version X and here you go.

• Administrator

Nah. It's nothing like that. They will just release 4.0, 5.0, 6.0 & 7.0 instead of 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 and so on... Releases would be properly stable. I do get a feeling that this will ease some pressure from devs, but never know, can also be vise-verse.

i smell frustration in their release policy ..." it's not the hours you put in , it's what you put in the hours "

if Google is putting alot of work releasing stable versions that doesn't mean it's applicable to Firefox

until now beta 10 isn't what you win against chrome , i know it's early , but they need to focus on making firefox 4.0 better , one at time

then we can talk about future releases ,

their speech somehow tells me , you wont see that major update in 4.0 final release

i hope i am wrong :sneaky:

• Administrator

Firefox 4.0 is almost done and over AFAS planning and changes are concerned. Only thing stopping it from releasing is bugs. But LOL, Firefox 4.0 is already a major update. :)

Well to me unless you are changing to new UI or main application it should not change the main version number.... I see this method running extension devs into the ground as well.. I don't think its a great idea...addressing issues is one thing.. doing a good job and thorough with appropriate testing is another... I do think that in some areas some improvement should be made as far as this is concerned.. possibly.. BUT .. to get on some... versions launching like a tennis ball machine... ( seen women spit out kids that way ) one right after the other.. is not the way to go about it.. or to be like Chrome for example.. continually improving is a good idea.. its great but.. I think a happy medium in completing a new product and an improved one is key.. instead of squashing a reported bug and creaming about having a new 110.0111 version... each and every time.. If they have created a new engine and platform for FF which leads itself to faster improvements and real breakthroughs then more power to them.. especially if people are up to speed and on-board.. but like I sad I have my concerns.. personally.. I want to keep using a quality product.. and I want it to retain the things that keep me using it... The other guys can have their shit.. The object is not to sell out to something to becoming what the everyday idiot is going to use.. it is to create a masterful product...

To me a thousand and one new version being announced sounds like someone is afraid everyone has seen the flaws in the design and problems with other areas such as vulnerabilities and other aspects.. while many people may come running to only be installing a still seriously unsafe and inferior application or program... or otherwise be deceived..

WTF?! Mozilla mustn't imitate Google. They are their own person and they must work at their own pace. Otherwise, Firefox is doomed :bag:

SacredCultivator

@irefay: Just too many HARD Blockers that they can't fix.

Can read more Here

Oh, wow. Duuuh! What have I been saying all along, here? Hellooooooooo, Mozilla ??

Not every release has to be perfect. Really, who or what is ever "perfect"?? Microsoft has their "Patch Tuesday" every second Tuesday of every month to plug vulnerabilities in their products. It is just the nature of the beast. Life isn't perfect. Get over it. Now, release V4 already!!! Sheesh!!!

@DK i meant you wont see them fixing those bugs ... to make a major update from their beta's released already

only time will tell tho

• 2 weeks later...
sabrosolatino

@DK i meant you wont see them fixing those bugs ... to make a major update from their beta's released already

only time will tell tho

mmm, I believe with that pace, my grandgrandhildren will use "FireFox v1792", LOL. i think i will prefer Firefox v17.9

Best Regards Sabroso

Archived