Disk Boot Failure

Ahmad_Al_Hajaya

Ahmad_Al_Hajaya

I actually don't know what to say, But each Time I turn on my PC I get this message "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER".

One of the solution's that I tried,

Is to reset the Cmos, But it was a temporary solution, I mean it only worked a couple of times or more.

So please help,

Thanks

• Replies 47
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Way too little info... you been around to know better!

anw Try running SIW tool for more required info

http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=4387&file=15&evp=474670a677f00931aa0391685ba84e2e

then (I am guessing) it might have issues with your BIOS, so find in accordance to your MOBO and flash BIOS

if not or else

is good for tool to understand what is wrong

Otherwise- usual- unplug all not essential devices and try restarting... process of eliminating of some possibly faulty component of your system

Ahmad_Al_Hajaya

What kind of info that you need? So I get it.

PS "EventLog Inspector" has generated an "Events Report", Should I post it?

On Siw- all required info regarding hardware, what I am interested weather your BIOS is badly outdated and certain hardware is giving you issues

Event viewer... not necessarily for me, but have a look at errors Logs- why you get them? so post back those- might be solution to know as what is happening

plz check ur HDD cables and jumpers i strongly belive some of the connectors were not properly connected

• Administrator

I remember this error. You are on XP right?

I would first see if the first boot device it set to HDD. Then insert the OS CD and repair it. Most likely a system file, I forgot it's name, is corrupted.

Ahmad_Al_Hajaya

@Implague, I changed the cables, and the HDD is set as Master.

@heath28m, I can get one.

@DKT27, I'm on windows 7 ultimate x64, And I allready tried to fix the boot issue by writing these commands in command prompt through startup repair,

The commands are:

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

c:

cd boot

attrib bcd -s -h -r

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /RebuildBcd 

Each one is entered solely.

Ahmad_Al_Hajaya

On Siw- all required info regarding hardware, what I am interested weather your BIOS is badly outdated and certain hardware is giving you issues

Event viewer... not necessarily for me, but have a look at errors Logs- why you get them? so post back those- might be solution to know as what is happening

Please be specific. what should I do?

download SIW executable (no need for install one) run it, wait- check then on what is needed- BIOS version and date, then manufacturer model of MOBO- either post if here or just google and find BIOS update.

event viewer- in errors - sort where are red alerts , copy as what they say- paste here.

else, once gain- I think you got something incompatible/broken, so it keeps coming back and crashing yourPC. So the only way to find out is to unplug one or other device (obviously if it is not crashing) keep restarting/running it for lil while and pluging thingy back in, until you find what is crashing.

You can use Hirens to do several things.. including recover the MFT and Boot Sector Files.. usually if its the OS.. yo will get a message that no OS is installed or found... if its issues with the MFT or HDD itself yo get messages like the one you received... I would use Hiren's to boot into MiniXP Mode... and see if all of your drive files appear... if they are there... next I would check to see if you can merge your Backup MFT ( every drive makes one ) with the current MFT.. without recovering any files and see if it does the trick.. You can also recover files or scan to look for data which is there but not indicated in the MFT for the drive.. so even if your drive has been totally wrangled you can recover everything with it... Very useful tool... It also might be a driver issue for it as well.. I would definitely think back to any recent updates or changes you have done.. even settings to retrace or give yourself an idea of where to look..

One last thing is having badly fragmented and damaged boot files.. sometimes it render unstable and random results or errors if quite extensive.. and fixing this issue could be something that can also be done with the Hirens... or in the OS if you have it up and running... I am willing to bet that recovering the MFT and Boot files will do the trick...

Also while your HD may be set to master ( in BIOS ) ... it may not be set to be the first in Boot Order.. I would also check the jumpers on the HD itself versus the chart on the drive ( sometimes they can fall out if enough force is applied to the case or even wear under vibration and become loose -or be taken for something else.. like someone snagging one for theirs..LOL ) to make sure they are in the right place for your configuration and use.. making sure it is at Controller 0 not 1... or 2 or w/e.. if you can make it into BIOS to reset everything then it may also help but it also depends on your configuration... and make sure it is plugged into the appropriate cable... Yes it does and can matter..

Anyway.. and yes definitely unplug everything externally connected and go with your basic hardware when doing any or all of this.. to make sure its not another device... or setting..

Ahmad_Al_Hajaya

@Atasas, Here's all the Bios & Motherboard Info

----- [bIOS] ----------------------------------------------------------

Property Value

BIOS Vendor Award Software International, Inc.

BIOS Version F8

BIOS Date 09/30/2008

BIOS Size 1024 KB

BIOS Starting Segment E000h

DMI Version 2.4

Characteristics - supports PCI

- supports Plug-and-Play

- supports APM

- upgradeable (Flash) BIOS

- allows BIOS shadowing

- supports booting from CD-ROM

- supports selectable boot

- supports Enhanced Disk Drive specification

- supports INT 13 5.25-inch/360K floppy services

- supports INT 13 5.25-inch/1.2M floppy services

- supports INT 13 3.5-inch/720K floppy services

- supports INT 13 3.5-inch/2.88M floppy services

- supports INT 05 print-screen

- supports INT 09 and 8042 keyboard services

- supports INT 14 serial services

- supports INT 17 printer services

- supports INT 10 CGA/Mono video services

- supports ACPI

- supports legacy USB

- supports booting from LS-120

- supports booting from ATAPI ZIP drive

- BIOS Boot Specification supported

- Enable Targeted Content Distribution

----- [Motherboard] ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Property Value

Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

Model EP45-DS4P

Version

Serial Number

North Bridge Intel P45/P43/G45/G43 Revision A2

South Bridge Intel 82801JR (ICH10R) Revision A2

CPU Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q9650 @ 3.00GHz

Cpu Socket Socket 775 LGA

System Slots 1 PCI

Memory Summary

Maximum Capacity 4096 MBytes

Maximum Memory Module Size 1024 MBytes

Memory Slots 4

Error Correction None

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@heath28m, Should I get this one

Or this

The 13.0 RE ( Restored Edition will probably be what you need.. I have 11.0 RE right now is why I said at least that version.. and it has the things you need.. so I would be willing to bet 13.0 RE would work.. ( I just don't have any DVD's or CD's to put the new on :P.. )

Ahmad_Al_Hajaya

I got "Hiren's BootCD", But I'm kind of don't know exactly what to do with it, So could anybody explain as simple as they can.

If you didn't do it already turn off any other boot devices in the bios.

Example:

Boot to usb

Boot to removable devices

Boot usb first

Boot to network

Set your hard drive as the first boot device. "for testing"

If you have a floppy disable it

Make sure your bios is still set to AHCI and stays that way.

Last but not least run a chkdsk from a win 7 disc maybe you have a bad boot sector or bad clusters on the drive.

chkdsk c: /p /r "I think thats the right repair or is that Xp" Try chkdsk c: /f /r

if the first one doesn't work.

Last disconnect any and all drives in the system except the primary hard drive "c" to make sure there is nothing messing up the boot sequence.

Sorry bout your issues and good luck!!! :(

Ahmad_Al_Hajaya

@Atasas, The first link ain't working.

@The Pope, The HDD is set as the first boot device, already tried "Check Disk".

You can boot to the Rom drive?

Bios is showing that the drive is intact and recognized?

Did you double check AHCI was enabled? If not, it won't allow windows 7 to boot.

You can make a gparted live cd to make sure the 100mb bootable partition is set to active.

You can also run tests on the drive from it.

Only other thing I can think to do is to get another HDD and load Windows on it and make sure that boots.

Then you can slave your other drive to get data.

I got "Hiren's BootCD", But I'm kind of don't know exactly what to do with it, So could anybody explain as simple as they can.

First of .. clean start.. You need to go into BIOS and set your Disk Drive ( CD or DVD ) you are going to use to boot from or put the Disc into.. put it first on the list..

Next you will reboot with the change and the Disk should boot up.. You have options at that point to boot into MiniXP choose that.. Then once its loaded go to the Hirens Menu icon in the TaskBar Tray.. and Go to Recovery then GetDataBack NTFS.. There should not be much in the way of settings but pay attention as what you are looking to do is going to be to recover from Backup MFT.. ( I think it is the basic settings or first ones which are usually already selected so Next .. it should take a like a few seconds and show you the results.. then reboot with the Disk Drive ejected or disk removed.. and see if it gives you the error again..

If it does then you may need to use some other tools on the Disc.. in the way of recovery or repair... There is even a controller error fixer .. quite extensive though.. and a lot of tools available... You can recover files and even scan your HD for recoverable files to see if there is something that needs to be.. You will be able to recover the MFT and BootSector files.. and see if this is why your system refuses to boot or if it is a system file.. that can be replaced.. The data for erased files will remain intact if it has not been shredded .. or overwritten.. so either way it should be easy to do..

Ahmad_Al_Hajaya

I did what you said, But it didn't work and it gives me this message,

img0688640x480.jpg

And the problem still exists, What should I do now?

Well first of all .. did you make sure you chose the right Disk.. because that is showing that you chose a Disk Drive and not your HD.. First selection is to recover data and then the next is to Recover MFT ( merge - possibly if it finds a difference you may see it merging the MFT from backup up in the Window - may only happen if you have a difference in sizes between them ).. If in fact you did choose your HD and you got this message it would seem something else is wrong... bad wrong.. as far as what the drive is being identified as and what controller is being used for it.. which could start in your BIOS... but I would find that behavior odd as the MiniXP base drive is X:... usually .. which is your DD.. not your HDD..

EDIT: I probably need to boot mine up and write a step by step to make it easier..

EDIT2: Running it in VirtualBox is a pain BUT... I used default settings and selected a drive.. it then scanned and gave a list of files.. Now.. IF any of the data in Extended has a line through it.. or anything with a $ in front.. I think it should be recovered and replaced on your HD...

When I scanned the system I had problems with.. It scanned and seems like it asked me to ( if to ) recover from Backup MFT... and thats what I did... This fixed my MFT issue that I had been having.. though I chose not to recover any files.. It has been broken by a defrag program ( Boot Time ).. I have recovered other files of the type as well in the past using this method..

My guess was that somehow or in some way your MFT was either corrupted.. replaced.. or altered in some way.. that it does not have records of the Boot Sector files.. or others.. so in order to recover it.. recovery from MFT Backup would do the trick if it has not been damaged... and was near the original all missing entries when compared to the new one would give the drive file locations of data which was never deleted to begin with.. If other Boot Sector files were missing or shown to be deleted you can also recover them to your drive at that point.. This could resolve the issue..

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

That error message shows that your drive is seen.. but for one reason or another system files are missing required for booting or there has been a modification that should not have been made.. Some files can be recovered that will not fix with an OS disk..( besides reinstalling ) and they can be recovered with Hirens...

If your settings are off in BIOS your will get an OS not found message..if your drive cannot be read or has the wrong settings .. like turning off IDE for the drive and it no longer being able to be used for Boot...

In my system BIOS.. there are a few settings and they are not that complex.. but I can cause myself some real boot issues with it.. That is the only thing I know of to address.. without having your system in front of me to work on.. SO those things are why and what I suggest..

So did you scan your HD for missing/deleted/recoverable files? Try the OS disk to repair problems preventing it from booting and/or run a scan disk? DO you have IDE enable for both Primary and Secondary in the BIOS?

This has got to be something simple..

Archived