After-effects of virus cleanup on flash drive

jbrid

I have a SanDisk Cruzor Micro 4 GB flash drive. It contracted a virus a while ago and NOD32 deleted some files from it. It hasn't been right since. The files were cleaned up on another laptop that I don't have access to anymore, so I can't see the list of files that were deleted in the NOD32 logs. I vaguely remember it being 3 files and one being F:\explorer.exe. I have done some extensive google searches on this and can't find anything. I imagine that others have had this problem.

When you right click on the drive you two strange entires with weird characters.

The menu that appears is:

Expand

<weird characters>

AutoPlay

<weird characters>

Search

A normal flash drive will show:

Expand

Explore

Open

Search

AutoPlay

The flash drive is running the U3 Launch Pad software. I tried updating that and it did not resolve the issue.

Does anyone know how to recover from this?

Thanks.

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless you have items on there that you don't want to lose, you may have to remove everything from it, as the virus may be hiding (or masking) as something that you still can't find. Or it could be that it's done so much damage that it would be impossible to recover.

You say you're using the U3 Launch Pad software? Isn't there a U3 anti-virus available that you could have running in the background?

I use the PortableApps software as mine isn't a U3 device with their preferred AV running.

IMHO, this is a downfall of NOD32. Other AV programs could have cleaned the files rather than deleting them. NOD32 doesn't seem to do a good job of cleaning, only identifying. But that's another topic...

Unless you have items on there that you don't want to lose, you may have to remove everything from it, as the virus may be hiding (or masking) as something that you still can't find. Or it could be that it's done so much damage that it would be impossible to recover.

You say you're using the U3 Launch Pad software? Isn't there a U3 anti-virus available that you could have running in the background?

I use the PortableApps software as mine isn't a U3 device with their preferred AV running.

If I was to remove everything from it, how do I go about re-formatting it, assuming that will resolve all issues?

If I was to remove everything from it, how do I go about re-formatting it, assuming that will resolve all issues?

have you tried recovery software to see if you can reconstruct the lost and missing files? ssupdater.com has a few you could try...formatting should get you back it just makes the computer see it as a totally new drive so your software will reconfigure it for use again...you will just loose all the files you had on it...next time before you allow any antivirus to delete files remember to back up the drive contents first. Also have you contacted sandisk...it they have support page might find a solution there too

Hompeage

LaunchPAD Removal (Recommended in case this is infected)

LaunchPAD Installation (To be installed AFTER formatting)

Windows should be able to format the drive. Personally I would choose to go into Computer Management and do it from there.

In XP, Open Control Panel > Performance & Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Computer Management

Or you could click on Run > "compmgmt.msc" without the quotes.

In Storage you can see Disk Management. Once opened, it's simply a case of right clicking the drive and formatting from there. This will remove everything so make sure you've backed up anything important like bookmarks, addresses etc...

Hompeage

LaunchPAD Removal (Recommended in case this is infected)

LaunchPAD Installation (To be installed AFTER formatting)

Windows should be able to format the drive. Personally I would choose to go into Computer Management and do it from there.

In XP, Open Control Panel > Performance & Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Computer Management

Or you could click on Run > "compmgmt.msc" without the quotes.

In Storage you can see Disk Management. Once opened, it's simply a case of right clicking the drive and formatting from there. This will remove everything so make sure you've backed up anything important like bookmarks, addresses etc...

Thanks for the assistance Mr. Samurai! :rolleyes:

Archived